Updates For Testing

News and Announcements
Derrick

Re: Updates For Testing

Post by Derrick »

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this patch, it's been published this morning and while there have already been a few clerical glitches found (corpse names), it seems very solid so far.

Subject: Patch 131 - June 25, 2010: Pets, AI, Housing, Fatigue, Guard
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I dont think they should be able to target/aggro you through a wall, just follow you if you run around one (without hiding) after they aggro you.
Been seeing a lot of evidence that they should:
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Derrick wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:I dont think they should be able to target/aggro you through a wall, just follow you if you run around one (without hiding) after they aggro you.
http://download.uosecondage.com/ChesieS ... AP0196.jpg[/img]
on the agro through walls it is accurate.

in a dungeon like hyloth for example all the nasty crappy spawn would stick on you through walls if you were visible and in sight. this was good and bad because it allowed players to trap it in smaller rooms and farm the daemons. You could use a blue to keep agro while others farmed. balrons which agroed on movement would be extra tricky because any farmers in the area could release it from its trap by making a poor physical movement ( or on purpose). if you macroed in your house all night you would wake up with a family of ettins outside your house like the pic above.

EV's and blades should only attack things within 1 tile of them. no mobs should attack them. this was one of the reasons people had to pin mobs in to drop an ev so it would attack. A failed drop would cause the EV to switch to the nearest player or yourself ( noto pks born). the flavor of the month style of farming via dropping an ev in the middle of a room and hiding would / should never work without trapping the mob.

mobs should also mass curse and mobs such as balrons, AW should instant dispel evs ( if they had enough mana to cast it ).

this is great progress to enrich the dungeon feel.

Boudoir

Post by Boudoir »

It's era accurate, indeed, but during T2A I was always thinking that it was a bug. Are we sure that monsters attacking without linesight of view is a game mechanic, or it's a bug ?

Faust

Post by Faust »

We use era accurate bugs that are not game breaking... A bug is still a game mechanic even if it was unintentional.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There have been a variety of minor tweaks applied to test center for likely implementation tomorrow morning.
These include:
  • You will no longer auto-defend on weapon swings or damage alone.
  • Monsters will induce auto-defend only when they attack you
  • Monsters cannot attack without Line Of Sight, however they can still "acquire" you without line of sight.
  • This has implications for pets being induced to attack other creatures though walls.
  • Monsters will "counter-swing" on an attacker even if they are not currently engaging that attacker. (i.e., if following another combatant)
  • Monsters are much less likely to switch combatants.
  • Monsters and NPC's will not usually "run"
  • Body Weight changes: (thread)
    • A players base Body Weight is now 10, this was incorrectly set to 14.
    • Mounts no longer add one stone of weight to the player when mounted.
    • Hair and Beard weigh one stone each if applicable.
    • Backpack weighs 3 stones (no change to this)
    • This gives a naked player an overall weight of 13 to 15 stones varying on their hairstyles.
  • There were a couple flaws found in the fatigue algorithm.
    • It is not expected that running range will be much effected, however stamina loss while walking on a mount and animals natural stamina regeneration should see much improvement.
  • An issue with extremely rapid loyalty loss when a mount becomes highly fatigued has been corrected.
  • NPC's will no longer call guards on the cutting up of blue corpses
  • Stolen items are only returned if the item is stolen in town, and the thief is killed in town. (Thanks MasterPiece)

Faust

Post by Faust »

Derrick wrote: Monsters cannot attack without Line Of Sight, however they can still "acquire" you without line of sight.
Would you care to explain this a little further?

Does this mean monsters can't attack you through walls anymore even if you are with in range but no line of sight?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:
Derrick wrote: Monsters cannot attack without Line Of Sight, however they can still "acquire" you without line of sight.
Would you care to explain this a little further?

Does this mean monsters can't attack you through walls anymore even if you are with in range with line of sight?
That's correct, but they will still try to reach you. The requirement of initiating an attack as per OSI is to have Line of Sight, and to be within 15 tiles. This will apply to all creatures in additon to players. Couple with autodefend only triggering on attack, this means that a pet which is not naturally agressive to other things will not be drawn into battle through a wall. Some pets however are naturally agressive, so this may not apply to all pets.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Was something found to negate the ability to attack through walls recently out of curiousity?

Also, there any word on fixing the very annoying 'squirmy ai creature movement' when in a blocked state? This gets very aggrivating when you're farming using some of the old tricks(especially EVs) that allows them to wedge themselves out of situations that should not be possible. For example, using a Vortex on the lich lord room ledge can be dispelled multiple times when a lich moves over or back one tile forcing the EV to walk down the ledge. Using the old shame blood and poison element pillars is almost impossible for this very reason. This problem along with the 'run' fix are two AI improvements that I have been waiting to be fixed for a very long time here. Glad to see one of them will be slashed at least.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:Was something found to negate the ability to attack through walls recently out of curiousity?
Only that nothing should be able to attack through walls as per an explicit OSI statement, and that we know they acquired through walls. The ability to separate someone that an NPC would like to fight or approach, from something that an NPC can attack or swing at simultaneously is not something natural to RunUO, but it appears to be the case on OSI.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Horse Test I (Repeated 10 times)

Started wonderfully happy, well fed.

1. Galloped around Skara bank until very fatigued and could not move.

2. Gave "all follow me" command

3. Used Animal Lore to check horse status

Animal Lore after each run of Test I:
- Wonderfully happy, well fed

Horse Test II (Repeated 10 times)

Without giving "all follow me" command, trotted in tight figure 8 pattern, and spun around.

4. Trotted while turning, spun around on horse until very fatigued and could not move

5. Used Animal Lore to check horse status

Animal Lore after each run of Test II:

(For test run #9, I did not spin around (only trotted in figure 8), and could go for 1m 40s before not being able to move. For test run #10, I only spun around, and could go for about 40s before not being able to move. For test runs #1-8, I could go about 1 min of trotting and spinning before not being able to move.)

Horse Test III (Repeated 2 times, but before the first test run, I galloped around until not being able to move.)

6. Trotted from the stable just north of Skara Bank to the shipwright on the south shore, and then back to the stable, turning only when necessary.

7. Used Animal Lore to check horse status

Animal Lore after each run of Test III:

(During the first test run, the horse ran out of stamina twice on the way down, and once on the way back. Did not run out during second test.)

Horse Test IV (Repeated twice. Waited for full stamina regain before performing, and first took moongate to Brit.)

8. Galloped from Brit moongate to the gate of Lord Brit's castle. (Second time galloped back to gate.)

9. Used Animal Lore to check horse status

10. Spammed "all follow me" 10 times

11. Used Animal Lore to check horse status

12. Spammed "all follow me" 10 times

13. Used Animal Lore to check horse status

Animal Lore each time for Test IV:

Horse Test V: (Done once)

14. Galloped a bit from the Brit moongate, got off horse, and told it to stop.

15. Ran away from the horse about 5 screens and went and did something else for 10 min, or so.

16. Came back and used Animal Lore on the horse -- still wonderfully happy and well fed.

17. Told horse to follow and walked back to Brit, alternating the follow/stop, and follow/stay commands, about every screen.

18. Used Animal Lore on the horse -- still wonderfully happy and well fed.

19. Derrick shut down Test server to patch, and horse test ended.

Some conclusions?

- Giving commands to horse didn't seem to adversely affect its loyalty in a "buggy" way.

- Natural stamina regeneration of the horse was good. Waiting only a few seconds after fatiguing the horse allowed me to trot, and I could go at least a few screens before again fatiguing the horse. (That seemed to get better, instead of worse, meaning stamina might be regaining if trotting in a straight line.)

- Spinning is worse than turning for fatiguing the horse. (I'm guessing that each turn causes some fatigue.)

- I didn't notice any appreciable change in the distance the horse could gallop before getting very fatigued.

Faust

Post by Faust »

So there was a statement found in the original osi code that disallowed all npcs instead of just pc's from attacking through walls?

We already knew the follow/acquire through walls was definitely accurate after an attack was initiated successfully.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

hmm, i spoze here is good spot for this
Alls top not working as intended- it doesn't stop the pet/mount from fighting like it should- having to invis/kill the person/npc the mount is fighting with. All stop was the command used to make the pet stop attacking, and the pet wouldn't still be fighting, unless ofcoarse it was re-attacked

Faust

Post by Faust »

Refer to the '00 patch notes.

"Saying “stop” to your pet will clear any previous commands." - Server Publish Jan. 24th, 2000.

The way this worked before this patch was extracted from the original osi code. The 'stop' command was the same as the 'stay' command much like how 'attack' and 'kill' were the same.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

With all the talk on NPC's aquiring/following targets, I thought this was a good place to mention that at some point on OSI (maybe even still), you could attack a monster from hidden, and it would pathfind over you and you could then tab out and it would stop and wander again.

I thought it would be easily tested on the demo, and relative to the topic here.