Grand designs. Or how a noob gets big ideas.

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Grand designs. Or how a noob gets big ideas.

Post by Jill Stihl »

A month ago I'd never heard of this shard. Hadn't visited Britannia in near on nine years infact. I happened across this one while looking into another game one evening.....

So I'm standing outside the inn in Britain, remove the super-hero cloak, have a look around. Bits soon come back to me and I decide my first task should be a small house, a run around the Brit area suggests this may be difficult. Not entirely unexpected so I decide I'll put that on hold and (re)explore the lands.

Now Britain was never my cup of tea, like any big city it can be a bit of a dump, Trinsic was always the town I called 'home'. So off I go. Just outside the city I decide to see what's occupying my first ever house spot - what's this? It's an empty plot :joy:

Money? How to make money quick? Bows Mathias, bows......

[realisation of waffling a bit]

.....I have my small and I'm content.

Then I spot a nicer location just up the road where I can place two smalls side by side. And there are nice NPC guards next door to take care of the ogres. Bows, more bows. Redeed and move to two smalls. And I'm content again.

By lucky fluke a couple of days later I spot the large house in the next clearing has vanished - there's nothing there. Bows, bows, bows, 2 smalls to hold the spot, bows, bows, zzzzz bows.

I place a large wood and plaster house. I spend a couple of minutes spinning my character about and enjoying the novelty of internal doors. It gets even better when I realise there's room to squeeze another small behind it.

OK Mathias, you've got a couple of houses next to a guardpost and near a shrine. What to do with them? Well there's a shrine, so that means visitors. Visitors who currently have nowhere to cater for them. And there's guards, who have to cook their own dinner. I'll open an inn. And a stable behind it. And they shall come. This morning I made the building public.

Now I doubt it'll ever be a place of activity, and it's a dead cert that it's a money pit. But it's something that makes a change from empty houses or locked doors if you're wandering the area innit :)

Anyone else found their initial ideas for reliving UO running way out of control once they're back in-world? What became your must-achieve goal? :)

TLDR: UO is simply aces, except for grinding out 500k worth of bows in a few weeks.
Last edited by Jill Stihl on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazarus

Re: Grand designs. Or how a noob gets big ideas.

Post by Lazarus »

My main goal has been to get my main character back to Glorious Lord status, been at Illustrious for a minute and had I not been pk'd a week ago I might have been Glorious by now.

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Holy cr*p I gotta make a fletcher.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

That's how I got a small house and reg money when I started here. Jhelom has like 4 npcs that buy them, I would moongate from jhelom to skara and back chopping and selling bows. (The moongate worked differently back then)

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

Though you hate Britain I bought my 2 story off making bows and selling them to the 5 vendors there.
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

How much do Bows sell for?

To get my first house on this shard Ive been making fancy shirts and selling them to NPCs in brit & glow. Took me 3 days of about 9 hours a day to get enough.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I barded up some balrons.

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

Bows are 31 gp for regular or 34 for exceptional. Takes 7 wood to make one. So 7000 wood equals ~31000.

Considering with a pack horse and utilizing carpentry to turn the logs into boards & save on weight you can get at least 1000 wood before you need to head in. Bank that and repeat process a ton of times then goto weapons merchant and sell away.
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

The problem I run into is selling a few at a time, then the price drops, how do I get around that?
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Theograd

Post by Theograd »

Start selling to a different vendor. A fresh vendor will buy 30 bows before dropping their price, so six sales of five each. Like Matron said, Jhelom was the place for me. The vendors that buy bows are fletchers, weaponsmiths, and blacksmiths. Jhelom has a ton of the last two.

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

Theograd wrote:Start selling to a different vendor. A fresh vendor will buy 30 bows before dropping their price, so six sales of five each. Like Matron said, Jhelom was the place for me. The vendors that buy bows are fletchers, weaponsmiths, and blacksmiths. Jhelom has a ton of the last two.
Ya goto Jhelom and stop deflating my prices in Britain.
Awesomeness