Defender of The Matewan - by Saxmund Sighelm

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
SighelmofWyrmgard

Defender of The Matewan - by Saxmund Sighelm

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Defender of The Matewan - a Parable of both Wrath and Honor, by Saxmund Sighelm

The Glorious Lord, Saxmund Sighelm,
Defender of The Matewan,
Knight of the Shining Path,
Scourge of Daemons,
Lord High Protector, Silver Serpent Society

Verily, 'pompousness' must bleed from the titles I dost claim: mine own beginnings were much-more humble.

'T'were, indeed, so long ago that I almost canst not remember: almost as if 't'were another life, on another world.

As that younger man, I worked hard as a miner and a blacksmith, and mine only ambitions lay in providing for my family, and enjoying their love: a wife and two, precocious, boys; I wouldst mine all day, carry-back the ore to our home to take my supper and, then, venture into Minoc to refine the metal and improve mine own blacksmithy; oft, I wouldst return only after midnight.

I was content.

The unhappiest day of my life didst occur: all had heard rumours of orcs gathering nearby, but no one had done aught to respond to the threat; driven by whatever ambition, those orcs suddenly launched their assault, and invested Minoc.

I hadst been far-away, in the mountains, all day, mining. 'pon my return, I didst see columns of black smoke rising, from the location of mine own home, and from those of our neighbours. I ran, dragging my pack-horse behind me.

The house was ashes: on the stoop, the corpse of my wife; she had a bloodied wood-axe in her hands, and three slain orcs lay nearby.

Where were our children!?! I kicked my way through the embers and, blessedly, saw no trace of the boys: it must have been that they had fled into town.

One thing remained in that smoking heap: a fine chest, given to me as payment by a renowned cabinet-maker. I stooped and used the key, and walked away from the smouldering ruin of my life wearing chainmail, bearing a shield, and with a sword in my hand.

I had made that sword in an attempt to earn favor with a local knight: it didst turn out that, knighted-lord notwithstanding, he didst remain rather-continuously impecuniate; that sword was the finest thing I had ever made.

I was unwilling to abandon my poor horse, but I demanded haste: I dragged that poor, tired, beast at the best speed we couldst muster; I almost dragged it to death.

There doth exist ways of entering Minoc that are not apparent to the unfamiliar. My pack-horse and I skirted Mount Kendall, and I left my exhausted companion at the stables.

The town was being over-run by orcs, but I determined that I would cut my way through them, and I did. At The Matewan, the Miner's Collective, I identified a number of men, many had been mine own neighbours, engaged in defending the building, and could hear the frightened cries of children, from within.

Any orc that didst look into my eyes didst rue the experience, but only for the miserably-small remainder of its life: to the ankles, I became drenched in gore.

Rangers and Fighters and Mages, from Vesper, didst arrive. When the fighting ended, I collapsed onto my knees.

My sons surged forth, out of The Matewan: both were alive, unscathed; other children poured-forth.

Druids arrived: among them a cousin of my slain wife; she offered to remove my sons to fosterage at Empath Abbey.

I agreed: my life had just acquired an entirely-new purpose.

I ended-up in Trinsic, and aspired to join The Knights of the Shining Path. I was admirably strong and resilient but, otherwise, a rather clumsy pupil; particularly, I demonstrated no finesse with magic ...

I persevered. One day, my captain, master, and tutor, named Japheth, asked me to be his Master-at-Arms, to instruct new applicants.

I respectfully didst decline: "Master, you remember my history: it used to be my wont to harvest ore, smelt-out the pure metal, and then hammer that metal into a useful item, or weapon.

"Thou, in me, hath achieved the same. Now, where shouldst any fine weapon reside: on a mantelpiece, admired by many, inspiring many; or in the hands of a champion, in pursuit of valor, honor, and justice?

"With my admiration, sir: of dirty ore you managed to fashion me; I remain confident that you can make yet-another magnificent sword."

I departed Trinsic, and the rest of my new life didst begin.

Saxmund Sighelm
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Re: Defender of The Matewan - by Saxmund Sighelm

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Counter-spam bump.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.