Of Orfluers and Berries - by Jaana Wildrunner

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

This is a story that doth speak to happiness, but also to sorrow: for the last I do offer mine apologies.

By training, I am a Tamer and Veterinarian: I possess little renown; indeed, I hadst mostly-walked-away-from the vocation I hadst once loved; this story might explain why.

Along the roads throughout Britannia there exist Guard stations: these serve as anchor-points for the King's justice, and outward watchposts for all of the Towns; also, they canst be used as hostels, by travellers in need.

South of Britain, along the road to Trinsic and just-north of the bridge, I hadst installed-myself. I didst not come from a rich family, and I was seeking to find my way in the world: I didst serve the King's Guards as both secretary and maid, and didst forage to help feed us all; I was paid in a tithe of their wages, and in the sharing-out of a small portion of their daily ration; at best, a modest living, but I felt at peace so close to the wild.

It didst come to pass that a pair of young male gorillas, when I was out, a-foraging, began to follow me around: it became a most 'stounding thing; I guess I hadst caught their eye. Amused, the Guards began to call the pair my 'suitors', and even named them, "Shemp", and, "George".

Eventually, I became fast-friends with the two of them, and Shemp and George wouldst even assist with the foraging. That very first day I vividly recall: I returned with a rabbit that I hadst snared, and a pouch full of mixed nuts, some wild beans, and berries, and a little fresh fruit; Shemp and George hadst also been at the trees and the berry bushes, eating themselves more than gathering, it must be admitted, but nevertheless delivered two handfuls, each, of what they hadst collected.

"By the King's beard," one of the Guards said, pointing to what the gorillas hadst provided, "what in the world are these?". Amongst the collection of mixed nuts and berries were seven larger 'fruits': they looked like small, hairy, potatoes; there were also some only-slightly-bruised orfluers.

"My goodness," I exclaimed, amazed. "I've had some speech with herbalists. I believe these are called, 'ground-nuts'; prepare and eat them as if they were potatoes! I don't think we can eat the orfluers ..."

That eve we indulged in a glorious repast, and the Guards began to become as fond of Shemp and George as I: for one thing, during the day, the two foraged constantly, frequently returning with handfuls of tasty edibles; it didst add-up, in addition to whatever I couldst gather; we all ate well, always with fresh, if bruised, orfluers in the center of the table. For another thing, though they slept (in-doors, with us) at night, they slept lightly, and proved as protective of their home as any of us.

Late one night, both with a shriek, Shemp and George charged out of the guardpost. Alarmed, I gathered myself to follow: the off-duty Guard, who hadst also been sleeping, already hadst launched himself out the door (these fellows take their sleep with their arms at-hand, and still-encased in their armor).

I emerged to discover a melee: the two Guards, and the two gorillas, hadst been invested by at least half-a-dozen vile Ratmen; the Guards were doing rather well, and were even attempting to protect George and Shemp. But the gorillas, furious and undaunted, shrieking, hurled themselves at the foe, heedless of their own peril, nor even pausing to esteem the wounds they didst receive.

No, no, no, not my gentle friends! I am, and was, an Adept Mage, as these vermin soon didst learn.

I delivered, in succession, several invocations of, "Corp Por!"

Only three of our attackers remained alive, beset by both Guards and two gorillas: they fled; one was cut-down by the Guards before he could take two steps. George and Shemp charged in pursuit.

"No! George, Shemp, come! All follow me!" and my poor, wounded, brave friends returned to my side.

While tending to the wounds the gorillas hadst sustained, the Guard who hadst been on-duty remarked, "Verily, these two didst save my life! Those vermin hadst been sneaking up from behind me, in the dark ..."

So, a short era of great happiness didst ensue: plentiful meals, companionship, fresh orfluers. Of their own volition, the gorillas shared the Guards' watch: half of the night, George; the other half, Shemp; no longer my 'suitors', they became known as 'The Gorilla Guardsmen'. To this day, I'm only a little disgruntled that I hath never discovered the knack of unearthing ground-nuts.

After a time, I hadst saved enough coin to be able to move-on, but I was loth to depart: I didst not want to abandon my friends. The Guards assured me, "Fret not: we shalt care for them. Peace and good-fortune to thee."

All of the Guards adored George and Shemp, and I was content to leave the gorillas in their care; at least once a year, I didst visit them; I was greeted with orfluers and berries, and was glad.

On just such a visit, a long time after, I didst arrive to discover two slain Guardsmen, and two slain gorillas. There hadst been rumours of a large party of murderous brigands ravaging that countryside: I didst guess that I hadst found proof. I removed to Britain to raise the alarm, then returned to the guardpost.

A company of Knights and King's Guards arrived, a few hours later, to find me digging graves. The slain King's Guards, I didst know, wouldst be removed to be interred elsewhere: I was not digging the graves for them.

Ultimately, the brigands were dealt with, and didst trouble the countryside no more.

Every year, I doth return to that guardpost, gather orfluers and berries, and leave the offering on the graves of my friends.

My most-recent visit, a Guard approached me: that same who hadst been saved by my friends that night, long ago. Gently, he bade me, "Kindly, add these, too."

He opened his hand and, in his palm, lay four ground-nuts.
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.