Play the Second Age Demo.

Derrick

Re: Play the Second Age Demo.

Post by Derrick »

Dashiva wrote:
Milford Cubicle wrote:I rememer you got this green sword and you kill a dragon in one hit lol... i laughed when I did it 10 years ago.
Yes in fact I played this demo which me and a friend downloaded long long ago. It was quite misleading because I started UO thinking it would have a lot of interesting quests to slay dragons with named items and such.

Also interesting was that nothing was locked down, as I recall. I ran around with half the town in my pack.
heheh, yeah, that's how I got cash for items and spells for testing, selling everything in the town

Avitar

Post by Avitar »

Hello, I'm curious on how far you got on the demo Derrick. I have it running on my home computer right now. I'm trying to get off the island to see if the mainland even exsists on the demo. I almost have enough to buy the boat and try to leave the island.

I started on this server last friday (10-03-08). I was suprisingly shocked on how close it was to T2a. However I lost that feeling as soon as I left the moongates. I started a tamer mage. The first thing I did was head out to Delucia and then out just past the orc fort to tame a horse for a mount. When I got there I could find no horses. I noticed a few other things didn't seem right eather. There seems to be a massive over population of frogs here. Everywhere I went there where bullfrogs and large toads that I only remember seeing in swamps.

I have been reluctant to post "what I remembered" as being incorrect. I've read a large amount of the postings on these forums and I can see that you must have proof to back up anything you remember. I'm not saying the demo is actually proof of anything because it was after all just a demo but if it resembeled what I remembered it would at least be helpfull.

The first thing I noticed when I left town was that the mob speed was super fast. I ran past some orcs that must have been on crack. I have since noticed all the mobs follow this fast and that thier tageting behavior is a bit off. I read the post monster speeds/AI and see that it something your working on. This was the reason I started playing the demo, to see how the mobs used to be. I even recorded a short vid I put on utube showing the follow speed.

Utube harpy follow speed

I Also uploaded the demo install onto my own personal server so others can download it and try it out. I took it off my original UOSE disk that I still have from 97. I check to see if it would work by installing T2a from the disk, patched up to 5.8.3 then installed the demo from my server rathar than the disk and it worked fine on XP.

UoDemoinstall.exe

If your interested I have other old school stuff that I save from back then too like that old UO remake songs. Stuff like "Don't bank so close to me" and "50 Ways To Loot Another" and lots more.

uosongs.zip

Anyways, I'm about to get off work now so I'll have to add more stuff later.

Grubb

Post by Grubb »

Lol.. yes I agree Demo is very misleading but entertaining to say the least.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Avitar wrote:I have been reluctant to post "what I remembered" as being incorrect. I've read a large amount of the postings on these forums and I can see that you must have proof to back up anything you remember. I'm not saying the demo is actually proof of anything because it was after all just a demo but if it resembeled what I remembered it would at least be helpfull.
Heheh, I'm sorry if I gave that impression. There are a lot of things on the shard that we know are off, and some that were not aware of but would happily fix if brought to out attention. Excessive frog spawns especially. The issues where we look for proof to decide things are usually more when it's a large important system, and peoples memories differ. Often it's better to wait for solid evidence than make a major change based on 11 year old recolections.

Youre not the first to try to get off the island in the demo, I haven't heard any success stories yet though. Keep me posted.

Avitar

Post by Avitar »

well, getting close. Tomorow after work I'll have the answers to what lays beyond the island. Here's a screenshot of the end of night 3 on the demo.

Darius Terrance

Post by Darius Terrance »

I will try soon the demo on Virtual PC 2007. ^_^

A tech question to Derrick.
Did you managed to unpack some info from the demo files?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We've looked at some of the decomplied code which gave us some of the justification for the spell timer changes we made a couple weeks ago. The VirtualPC version i made is nice, becuase you can save state on the virtual box and shut down your pc, there's no "save game" in the demo.

I'm pretty excited about seeing the boat screenshot!

Avitar

Post by Avitar »

I'm excited too. All I need is a couple more thousand. I really hope there is a mainland beyond the island.

For anyone that wants to play the demo I have a few tips.

1. Your toon cannot be killed untill after you complete the quest. I discovered this on my first attack and there for purposly never completed the quest so that I could not be killed. You notice in the screenshot I have no armor on. Didn't want to waste the carrying weight on armor I didn't need.

2. If you want GM Warrior skills (fencing, swords, maces, etc.) just attack a towns person and fight the guard for skill. (assuming you havn't completed the quest). To get the guard off you after your done you'll need to leave town limits, make sure you drag the guard with you, and wait out his aggression timer. Usually only a minutes or two. This works well because back then your skill gain was based on the skill of the creature you where attacking and guards have off the charts skills. End result was you get GM in about 2-3 minutes.

3. Weapons. I've found that high damage weapons work best. I took up fencing at first because I had a kryss dexer back in the day that tore stuff up in a hurry. However on the demo the kryss did very very little damage. I found the spear to work best. The Hally would probly work better but I couldn't equip it. Stats where a nightmare to raise back then.

Killing trolls seem to be the best way to get the cash. They would sometime drop 2 cash piles. one on the corpse and one in a bag. Back then all the mobs with loot had it in a bag. I'll post some screens of typical troll loot later tonight when I get off work.

Avitar

Post by Avitar »

Derrick wrote:I'm pretty excited about seeing the boat screenshot!
I'll do you a step better. I'll stream it live. It's take me an hour or 2 to get up to the boat but it's online. If you want to hit me up my icq is on. 23638989

http://www.mogulus.com/uodemolive

Avitar

Post by Avitar »

I've got the gold for it and now I'm going to get the boat and try for the mainland. Still streaming live.

http://www.mogulus.com/uodemolive

Avitar

Post by Avitar »

Well I saved up the money to buy the ship deed.....

I placed the boat...

However it seems when I place the boat the keys it created where not attached to the boats id tag. I couldn't open the plank to get on the boat. It was as if the plank wasn't coded in. I tried to dock the boat but the ship master said I had to have the key on me even though I had both the keys it created in my pack. I tried all I could think of to get onto the boat, recalling from the key(even though I knew that was added after this disks client was created) I tried teleporting onto the boat but of course that wasn't alloud. My last thought on the whole situation is to use the bug that let you walk right onto a boat from land when docked right next to it. So I'm going to grind off another 12.5k and try to place a boat close enough to shore to walk onto it.

The feed has been turned off for the grind.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Wow, grats on getting that boat deed... I tried this in the past and anytime I got close my computer either froze or something awful would happen to ruin it. After a couple of times I got frustrated and never bothered, because I didn't want to waste the time and effort if it was fixed to not get off the island in the first place.

Did you try unlocking the plank with the key to see if that would do anything?

Ram

Ultima Online: The Second Age Demo

Post by Ram »

This is a play through of the demo that came with The Second Age expansion CD way back in 1998. It shows how the game was over 10 years ago.
https://youtu.be/txsNn6PEaFo

Wiki
http://uodemo.uo98.org/index.php?title=UO:98