Report any bugs you discover on the server here
tenduil

NPC Sparing - NPC continues to attack rather than be passive

Post by tenduil »

REPORTED ISSUE:
NPC Sparing - NPC continues to attack rather than be passive
Hired NPC fails to stop auto-defending after being told to 'stay' or 'stop'

ISSUE DETAILS:
I believe it relates to Patch 131 though I'm not sure.
When previously sparring with a hired NPC the sequence would be:
Hire NPC
Tell Hired NPC "Guard me"
Attack Hired NPC
Tell Hired NPC "Stay"

This would result in the Hired NPC being grey to my character allowing sparring then with the stay command allow only my character to inflict damage. I have used this to level at least 5 characters to GM in various melee skills.

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS:
My house outside of guard zone

STEPS TO RECREATE:
Hire an NPC and attempt to spar without incurring damage on your character.

EXPECTED RESULTS:
Error should be that your hired NPC continues to auto defend even after the 'all stay' or 'all stop' commands.

DATE REPORTED:
7/5/2010

DATE STATUS CHANGED:
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

Faust

Re: NPC Sparing - NPC continues to attack rather than be pas

Post by Faust »

The stop command was fixed recently and 'controllable' creatures are not suppose to simply stop and do absolutely nothing once the command is given to them allowing you to beat them for an indefinite period of time.

Not a bug.

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

link to this?
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

RainbowBeard

Post by RainbowBeard »

Current way around this:

Box the NPC in
Tell the NPC to stay
Tell the NPC to guard you
Have someone else attack the NPC, (at least take a swing)
Move the attacking person away
Attack the NPC with your character you want to train on

The NPC will stand there doing nothing staying focused on the first person to attack them, even if that person logs off, runs off the screen, stands there etc it doesn't matter.

Just don't leave combat unless you're prepared to do all of this again.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

tenduil wrote:link to this?
I think that maybe this was forgotten in the patch notes. Though you can refer to the official UO patch notes to see that the "stop" command should not stop them from swinging on the closest attacker (you).
RainbowBeard wrote:Current way around this:

Box the NPC in
Tell the NPC to stay
Tell the NPC to guard you
Have someone else attack the NPC, (at least take a swing)
Move the attacking person away
Attack the NPC with your character you want to train on

The NPC will stand there doing nothing staying focused on the first person to attack them, even if that person logs off, runs off the screen, stands there etc it doesn't matter.

Just don't leave combat unless you're prepared to do all of this again.
This should never happen. If a dragon was walking towards you trying to attack, and I ran in and started hitting it, it would hit me back as it was walking towards you. (In actual T2A I mean).

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I discovered this while taming frenzied ossies; only quick way to get it to stop is to tell it to attack something else.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

RainbowBeard

Post by RainbowBeard »

This should never happen.
Definitely not, but neither should it work like it has been for the entirety that I've been playing here. NPCs always fought back the entire time I played on OSI. Currently though, the above will work as a "training dummy to GM". I haven't tried anything similar with monsters, but I don't think it would work. They seem to swing back no matter who is attacking them. Must be the reminents of unfinished changes in the tamed creature AI.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

RainbowBeard wrote:
This should never happen.
Definitely not, but neither should it work like it has been for the entirety that I've been playing here. NPCs always fought back the entire time I played on OSI. Currently though, the above will work as a "training dummy to GM". I haven't tried anything similar with monsters, but I don't think it would work. They seem to swing back no matter who is attacking them. Must be the remnants of unfinished changes in the tamed creature AI.
I'm having some issues integrating proper NPC defence and auto-defend using a swing timer and AI that really isn't equipped to handle more that one combatant at a time. I've tried to coax this into working properly, but I suspect it's just not going to be 100% until we can get the swing timer changes functioning properly.

They could indeed hit back when they are being attacked whether being told to stop or not, and also even if they are focused on someone else that they cannot reach; however I understand the origin of the bug report, as for right or wrong it has been possible to turn a npc into a training dummy on UOSA for some time.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

Thank you for the info. I just hadn't seen anything in specific in the patch notes concerning this and wondering what was up. Thanks again.
Awesomeness