4th way to town kill?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Nefarity

Re: 4th way to town kill?

Post by Nefarity »

Hicha wrote:
Nefarity wrote:It is not my intention to derail this thread nor do I have a problem with griefers, but I have a question.

In all my experience with UO and dozens of other games, I could never fathom the concept of griefing. What I can remotely understand is that people, especially newer players, can be tempted to kill someone who's macroing or some such because the opportunity presents itself.

But why do people go to extremes to kill someone who is AFK? O.O

Money? There are quicker & better ways. Loot? Basically comes down to money again. Challenge? There is none. Boredom? Well, do you go out on the street and hit an old lady in the face when you're bored? Maybe not the best comparison, but you get the gist of it.

Why would you go out of your way trying to screw with someone unless you hold a grudge against him or something? I just don't get it.
Here's a quick breakdown on just some of the ways:

1. People who afk with a mass amount of resources (ingots, regs) are a valid income source. It takes anywhere from 20 secs to 2 minutes to town PK someone depending on environment (NPCs nearby, players spamming guards, etc.) If I took a minute to kill you to loot 2k of flamestrike regs, I just made a quick ~12k profit.

2. People who spam guards are just asking to be griefed anyway; to be proven it doesn't do anything to prevent death.

3. People afk on nightmares = enough said. Easy and cheap way to get a new mare for one of your toons.
Well, thx for the reply I guess, but I thought I made it rather clear that I was talking about griefing just for the hell of it. Of course there are those rare cases where someone has huge amounts of reags, ingots, etc. on him, but then I wouldn't necessarily consider that griefing. It's a legitimate way to acquire something you want more quickly than you could otherwise. A bit of an 'aggressive' approach maybe, but perfectly reasonable. Same goes for the mare.

Your second point hit the nerve though and piques my curiosity. Why do you figure someone is asking to be proven wrong when he is taking steps to avoid being griefed? The existence of people like you is what makes him spam 'guards' in the first place. Does it invoke a feeling of pride in you when you prove that you can outsmart a predictable system of town guards and NPC behavior?

While I realize that my tone might come across as kinda hostile, I assure you that it is not. I'm simply interested in something I don't understand.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Hicha wrote:
Nefarity wrote:It is not my intention to derail this thread nor do I have a problem with griefers, but I have a question.

In all my experience with UO and dozens of other games, I could never fathom the concept of griefing. What I can remotely understand is that people, especially newer players, can be tempted to kill someone who's macroing or some such because the opportunity presents itself.

Money? There are quicker & better ways. Loot? Basically comes down to money again. Challenge? There is none. Boredom? Well, do you go out on the street and hit an old lady in the face when you're bored? Maybe not the best comparison, but you get the gist of it.

Why would you go out of your way trying to screw with someone unless you hold a grudge against him or something? I just don't get it.
Here's a quick breakdown on just some of the ways:

1. People who afk with a mass amount of resources (ingots, regs) are a valid income source. It takes anywhere from 20 secs to 2 minutes to town PK someone depending on environment (NPCs nearby, players spamming guards, etc.) If I took a minute to kill you to loot 2k of flamestrike regs, I just made a quick ~12k profit.

2. People who spam guards are just asking to be griefed anyway; to be proven it doesn't do anything to prevent death.

3. People afk on nightmares = enough said. Easy and cheap way to get a new mare for one of your toons.
1 i agree with not that i need the stuff but its better then letting them keep it maybe they will learn from the loss
2 exactly
3 i enjoy killing the damn thing honestly lol
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Nefarity wrote:Your second point hit the nerve though and piques my curiosity. Why do you figure someone is asking to be proven wrong when he is taking steps to avoid being griefed? The existence of people like you is what makes him spam 'guards' in the first place. Does it invoke a feeling of pride in you when you prove that you can outsmart a predictable system of town guards and NPC behavior?
There is 'taking steps' to avoid being griefed, and there is just flat out being annoying.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves to come to a bank and see this spam:
JoeSmoe: "guards"

Page a GM and have them squelched? Why waste their time. Kill the person and watch them lose a night of macroing? Priceless.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

Lots of creatures don't uphold their chaotic nature upon release, dragons will not attack innocents upon release just reds and chaotic monsters. WW's on the other hand will attack the closest target and extremely fast. Were balrons to be tameable- then I'd assume it'd be the same for them. Nightmares act along the same lines of dragons as far as attacking players when released or maybe i'm off on that but i do know that dragons won't attack innocent or atleast that's how it was on this server a year ago. has that changed??

randale

Post by randale »

The same reason people make prank calls, or fill someone's shoes with mustard, or petty vandalism, many of which occur in real life, but here griefing (and stealing) is allowed with no consequences to you in the real world. And, there are only ladies I've wanted to hit, not because I'm a sadist (well at least not in real life) but because they are bitchy and whiney. I remember once we played this old apple game where you had to drop someone out of a plane onto a truck or something, and we purposefully dropped them onto the ground, pretended they were people who wronged us. Wouldn't it be a good stress reliever after a bad day of work with a bad boss to take it out on him in the holodeck?

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I spent a couple of weeks a while back making daily visits to moonglow zoo to destroy newbie bards with my scorpion pals. I ended up making such regular visits because one guy in particular raged SO HARD about it that some of the other newbies there gleefully stood aside and egged me on when I came back.

Once I'd discovered how upset he got about it, I had to do it again. And when he thought of a 'foolproof' method of avoiding death, I had to kill him repeatedly to show him his method was a failure. I even released a white wyrm on him at one point, which ate 5 people standing next to him too.

Watching him die, seeing my journal fill with 'u must be a fat small dik looser' and watching him spam 'oOoOOOo' when his 'guards' macro failed, were so funny to me I actually laughed until there were tears streaming down my cheeks.

Assuming he didn't ragequit and is reading this post - I didn't take a single count despite killing you at least 15 times. So I'm pretty sure you were wrong when you said I'm terrible at UO. <3
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

chain ur bad
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Loathed wrote:Lots of creatures don't uphold their chaotic nature upon release, dragons will not attack innocents upon release just reds and chaotic monsters. WW's on the other hand will attack the closest target and extremely fast. Were balrons to be tameable- then I'd assume it'd be the same for them. Nightmares act along the same lines of dragons as far as attacking players when released or maybe i'm off on that but i do know that dragons won't attack innocent or atleast that's how it was on this server a year ago. has that changed??
Dragons will also target blues when released, they just take a long time to aquire a target, just like it is when they are wild.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Harris

Post by Harris »

I have another answer for Nefarity...
I love the challenge of town-killing. It's so much fun figuring out new ways to pull off the old tricks and watch the aftermath. One dude was macroing at the Vesper bank. We tossed a tinker trap with a little gold in it at his feet. It blew poison on his face when his auto-loot opened the box. Also, poisoned food is a lot of fun...set a nice table, plates, silverware, cups, roast pig. When the inevitable party-pooper shows up to steal everything there is nothing better than to watch him choke to death on deadly poison.

But yeah, I played UO for like 9 months back in '99 and 2000 without even knowing anything about a macro program, so spare me the tears for someone wanting Razor to build their character for them while they sleep! (LOL, it's not easy being stupid...)

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

Hicha wrote: Here's a quick breakdown on just some of the ways:

I like this post, I'm not a greifer but I WILL kill people under the above conditions....

as for town killing I use a few ways.

1. if it's in a busy part of town where you get whacked trying to attack them, I use poison scrolls till i get them poisoned (newb chars), then I use 3-4 exp pots if i have them (not needed). you will get whacked by guard when you poison and again when you exp pot them unless you can make a gate to use.

Poison DOES kill very very easily just try to get them greater posioned / DP'd or you need to use two poisons to kill.

2. if they are in the open with no NPCs hanging about I will simply melee them to death.

3. if there some where you can lure mobs then you know...

4. if there provoking something, get your bard provk there mob/animal onto your self and walk it around there blocker near them, their do the rest themselves

5. good ol' plain exp pots, don't mess about just make a macro dlb click purple>wait target>last target. target you kill with a dagger and have atleast 4 g.explode pots then let rip.

dont be a dick and kill people training with nothing but newb regs, save it for the pure mare the dumb ass tamer is afk riding by del bank....

Also anyone adding guards to you macro is soooo dumb, makes timing a attack easy. if your gonna add guards then put in a ''IF>SYSmess ''Attacking'''' then say guards.

iamreallysquall

jimm1432 wrote:
Hicha wrote: Here's a quick breakdown on just some of the ways:

I like this post, I'm not a greifer but I WILL kill people under the above conditions....

as for town killing I use a few ways.

1. if it's in a busy part of town where you get whacked trying to attack them, I use poison scrolls till i get them poisoned (newb chars), then I use 3-4 exp pots if i have them (not needed). you will get whacked by guard when you poison and again when you exp pot them unless you can make a gate to use.

Poison DOES kill very very easily just try to get them greater posioned / DP'd or you need to use two poisons to kill.

2. if they are in the open with no NPCs hanging about I will simply melee them to death.

3. if there some where you can lure mobs then you know...

4. if there provoking something, get your bard provk there mob/animal onto your self and walk it around there blocker near them, their do the rest themselves

5. good ol' plain exp pots, don't mess about just make a macro dlb click purple>wait target>last target. target you kill with a dagger and have atleast 4 g.explode pots then let rip.

dont be a dick and kill people training with nothing but newb regs, save it for the pure mare the dumb ass tamer is afk riding by del bank....

Also anyone adding guards to you macro is soooo dumb, makes timing a attack easy. if your gonna add guards then put in a ''IF>SYSmess ''Attacking'''' then say guards.
their are many other ways to do number 4 with out provoke such as peacemaking and invisibility and others ;p

randale

Post by randale »

I'm curious as to whether they did anything to nerf it post T2A, perhaps making it so guards could teleport outside a town where you gate to whack you. Or ditto with released scorpions. Luring monsters now seems like that's all that would work, provided they weren't macroing guards.

randale

Post by randale »

Pirul wrote:well, yes, I guess they would be...but I'll leave that to the person crazy enough to have 3 or 4 balrons as pets on his roof.

:P

You can't tame Balrons.

iamreallysquall

randale wrote:
Pirul wrote:well, yes, I guess they would be...but I'll leave that to the person crazy enough to have 3 or 4 balrons as pets on his roof.

:P

You can't tame Balrons.
i still had tons of untamed one my keep roof all the same @_@ :D

randale

Post by randale »

Harris wrote:I have another answer for Nefarity...
I love the challenge of town-killing. It's so much fun figuring out new ways to pull off the old tricks and watch the aftermath. One dude was macroing at the Vesper bank. We tossed a tinker trap with a little gold in it at his feet. It blew poison on his face when his auto-loot opened the box. Also, poisoned food is a lot of fun...set a nice table, plates, silverware, cups, roast pig. When the inevitable party-pooper shows up to steal everything there is nothing better than to watch him choke to death on deadly poison.

But yeah, I played UO for like 9 months back in '99 and 2000 without even knowing anything about a macro program, so spare me the tears for someone wanting Razor to build their character for them while they sleep! (LOL, it's not easy being stupid...)
Hmm, not sure Harris is around anymore, but maybe someone else could help

1. I wonder what that person was macroing, you somehow knew it would open boxes. As for the poisoned food, there would have to be something to auto-eat, or they'd eat it later manually. I wouldn't eat food from table I looted.