The Thief

Tips from the Veterans
chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

The Thief

Post by chumbucket »

Thieves come in two basic varieties: fighting thieves and stealthing thieves. There are, of course, other ways of making a thief, but both of these styles have been used with great success.

The Fighter

GM Weapon Skill
GM Tactics
GM Healing
GM Anatomy
GM Stealing
GM Snooping
GM Magic Resist

100 STR
100 DEX
25 INT

Mace fighting is the most common melee skill for fighting thieves. A quarter staff is cheap and effective. Stamina damage is a very nice bonus. Maces, however, cannot be poisoned. On the other hand, poison has the downside of being expensive. One way to compensate would be to use only lesser poison, which does little damage, but is cheap, stays on your blade longer than more expensive poisons and still blocks heals with bandages.

The Stealther

GM Stealth
GM Hiding
GM Stealing
GM Snooping
GM Magery
GM Magic Resist
GM Wrestling

100 STR
100 INT
25 DEX

Alterations

Magic resistance is a very, very useful skill. However, if you plan to never leave town, then it is of less use, as spells do no damage in town. The fighter could take archery or hiding. The stealther could take evaluate intelligence or meditation. There are number of other skills that could be useful to either template: tracking and detect hidden stand out.

Starting Out

For either template, it is usually best to begin with fifty magery and fifty magic resistance. You will need the magery to raise resistance, unless you have a second character that will cast on you. Stealing is not difficult to raise, so do not start with it unless you are not using any other skills that take resources to gain. It is best to start with the following skills (if you plan to use them) rather than stealing: healing, magery, magic resistance. Anatomy can be raised a bit more easily than healing, and so stealing makes a better starting skill. Snooping, hiding and stealth can be raised quickly and at no cost. Melee skills can be raised by sparring or fighting monsters.

The Life of a Thief

You will die. Often. Travel light: Carry cheap weapons, don't use expensive armor, only take about 10 to 15 of each reagent with you and don't bother carrying many pots. Fishsteaks make an excellent and cheap substitute for red potions, but you may need to carry a few greater cures and trapped pouches if you are a fighter thief. Poison and paralyze are the two biggest threats that the fighter template faces in a fight.

For more information, check the stealing entry at wiki.uosecondage.com.

Gatsby

Re: The Thief

Post by Gatsby »

Thanks for the post, It was very helpful. A lot of people don't post STR, INT, DEX suggestions, and being new and an idiot, it makes it difficult.
Thanks again.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Hey chum, whats the point of having a fighter theif? If the thief kills someone even in self-defense won't they get kicked out of the theives guild and thus not be able to steal from players?

Dashie84

Post by Dashie84 »

Lazarus wrote:Hey chum, whats the point of having a fighter theif? If the thief kills someone even in self-defense won't they get kicked out of the theives guild and thus not be able to steal from players?
Isnt the chance to steal influenced by dex???

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dashie84 wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Hey chum, whats the point of having a fighter theif? If the thief kills someone even in self-defense won't they get kicked out of the theives guild and thus not be able to steal from players?
Isnt the chance to steal influenced by dex???
I dont think so or else the mage theirf would probably have more balanced dex/int ratio.

I'm still wondering though why anyone would want a fighter since if the mark dies you get kicked out of the guild.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

You won't get counts by killing other criminals or murderers also, if you can outlast the 2 minute criminal timer, and are attacked again, your opponent should flag grey to you making them freely attackable.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I did personally start with stealing (my character is the "stealther template") just because resist is so easy to raise to 55 with firewalls.

Probably the 2 slowest raising skills you can actually start with are hiding or stealing imo, depends if you care about running through a firewall for 20 minutes vs a few hours macroing stealing/hiding. Magery is an easy choice, it takes a while to raise to 50 and is the only skill bar resist that costs money to raise - it's a no brainer.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Taggart

Post by Taggart »

Thanks for the template chumbucket. I'm working on a stealther according to your templates, and I was wondering why GM wrestling? Does it really improve defenses that significantly? I was looking at taking tracking or detect hidden instead of one of the skills so I'm looking for which one to drop

Downs

Post by Downs »

Taggart wrote:Thanks for the template chumbucket. I'm working on a stealther according to your templates, and I was wondering why GM wrestling? Does it really improve defenses that significantly? I was looking at taking tracking or detect hidden instead of one of the skills so I'm looking for which one to drop
I opted out of wrestling to take tracking. you can function, but you're toast against a dexxer. gm wrestling vs gm melee skill = 50% chance for them to miss & you able to recall out
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Taggart

Post by Taggart »

Alright. I think I'll take dying more often for tracking. Thanks!

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

:Necro thread lives:

Magery
Wrestling
Stealing
Snooping 95
Resist 95
Eval 80
Med 80
Parry 50

That there is an elite build if I don't say so, remember to keep a newbie bow (no arrows) so when you paralyze someone you will not cause damage in autodefend. This is made to fight people with both eval and weapon skills not just bards and tamers. Against tanks you want to time the shield when you expect them to hally cycle. Against dexxers you might want to just keep it armed.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

Just stop please.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

keelonzo wrote:Just stop please.
That's what your mom said too, she wanted to name you after what we tried to wipe you up with before you were born...but she found out Kleenex was copyrighted thats why it changed to Keelonzo. Man that was a mess, I guess it still is.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

retard An Corp
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Let me ask you son, did you ever when you were playing a thief when you had a mark paralyzed use a bow in the fashion I just said in order to keep him pinned down in order to steal everything instead of coming out bucking so he can start running again?

Even melee weapons at zero skill have a chance to hit and do damage.

If I am such a retard...I want you to find anything on the forums about what I just said here.

As long as you have their trapped pouches all wiped...you can keep them paralyzed indefinitely in this fashion and steal nearly everything.