Academy Event: "License to Curse" Saturday, 01/16 @ 4pm EST

Browse previous major shard events here. For inclusion of your event in this archive, copious amounts of screenshots is desired.
Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Academy Event: "License to Curse" Saturday, 01/16 @ 4pm EST

Post by Daolin »

"License to Curse" - A Final Examination in the Dark Arts
Event Date: Saturday, January 16th at 4pm EST
Estimated time: 40-60 minutes
$$$ Moonglow Rune Tower

Objective: Students will compete against one another in single combat. This is to assess the students magical skill and knowledge, not their ability to wield a sword.

Students, it is a tradition in the academy to have magic duels as a final event in the academy. I know it sounds immoral to allow the use of Dark Magic. The Academy feels this is the only way for students to learn to defend themselves in a world eclipsed by darkness. Do not think this is a common scrap. One's wit and strategy is equally important to one's magical ability. I expect all students to conduct themselves well and serve their city proudly.

~ Headmaster Marfu

The Dark Arts: Supernatural means of inflicting pain and misfortune on others. A few items related to dark magic include shrunken skulls, hangman's rope, and poisonous candles. Some distinguish the dark arts as "black magic", and the beneficial charms and cures with magic as "white magic." Some suggest that the the battle between white and dark magic is an expression of man's nature to choose to do good, but also harm.

Assignment (2 points)

1. Arrive at the scheduled location with a robe colored to represent your city's house in the academy and form a party with your classmates.
2. Do not bother with bringing regs. They will be provided.
3. Event Details (I am giving these out ahead of time so houses can think about strategy and or practice)

Wizard Dueling Rules
  • 5x mage skills allowed only (Magery, Eval, Med, Wrest, Resist)
  • Spell limits: No Greater Heal, No Paralyze, No Earthquake.
  • Reagent limits: 30 of each
  • House's will choose who among them will battle in each round.
  • The wizard left standing at the end of a duel wins.
  • A student may win only once. A student may duel multiple times if their house chooses and they have not won yet.
  • There will be 9 wins before the event concludes, leaving one city as the champion of the event.
  • Bonus Points: Each person that wins will have the opportunity to draw a book containing bonus points. These books range in point value. The points will be added directly to the final score for each team. These books, however, will not be drawn until the Awards Ceremony on Sunday.
** As with all events, please do not come with anything you do not mind losing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Summary:

Students had many strategies to think about here. Limited reagents, unusual combos, who to match with the other team, spell interrupts, etc... The fights went as follows:

Blackfoot vs. emac

fwerp vs. rdb

Drazaos vs. rdb

This fight actually had a false start. It was reset, with Roger (rdb) pulling out the first Magincia win.

Coloram vs. Luca

Gicod vs. emac

Drazaos vs. Calista

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Results: Magincia Wins 4-2!

Magincia: 4 wins!
  • Attendance: 8 points!
    • Luca - 2 ** Duel Winner
    • Calista - 2 ** Duel Winner
    • Emac - 2 ** Duel Winner
    • Rdb - 2 ** Duel Winner
Moonglow: 2 wins!
  • Attendance: 9 Points!
    • Blackfoot - 2 ** Duel Winner
    • Fwerp - 1 (-1 late) ** Duel Winner
    • Gicod - 2
    • Drazaos - 2
    • Coloram - 2
Bonus Points: To be picked by duel winners at Sunday's Award Ceremony!
Last edited by Daolin on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Gicod

Re: Academy Event: "License to Curse" 01/10 @ 4pm EST

Post by Gicod »

I would like to apologize in advance to my Moonglow team mates. Im only gonna get ya the 1 fer showin' up. Im fairly certain anyone I might have to line up against, will likely have a template far better suited to PvP than the 3x GM fisherman (96 magery/70's wrestle/60's resist) which is my only mage.

I always thought the PvP disclaimer was more about a group format, potential event-getting-jumped scenario, never expected a mage duel. Hell, even back on Sonoma with my built pvp mages I was never better than halfassed at that....lol

But I'll do my best to be the hardest to kill fisherman they ever squared off against!

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Gicod wrote:I would like to apologize in advance to my Moonglow team mates. Im only gonna get ya the 1 fer showin' up. Im fairly certain anyone I might have to line up against, will likely have a template far better suited to PvP than the 3x GM fisherman (96 magery/70's wrestle/60's resist) which is my only mage.

I always thought the PvP disclaimer was more about a group format, potential event-getting-jumped scenario, never expected a mage duel. Hell, even back on Sonoma with my built pvp mages I was never better than halfassed at that....lol

But I'll do my best to be the hardest to kill fisherman they ever squared off against!
You can gm magery by this event's date mate.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

You will do fine. You are in the same place as many in the academy. You do have some time to work on skills if they fit into your template.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

we will do our best to make sure you line up against somone on equal ground
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Gicod

Post by Gicod »

Alright, I finished off magery, should have wrestle done before then, and will get resist as high as I can before the event, however what I could probably use is some practice, I havent been in a mage duel in years, even then it was UO:R and beyond so I could use some practical T2A experience. Would any of my Moonglow teammates be available to give me a practice session for a little while before the event and school this noob? I will be happy to cover your regs and bring one of my other characters for me to flag on so there would be no chance of any accidental counts.

calista

Post by calista »

This is a good idea and I think that the students from magincia would probablly benefit from some pvp lessons as well. I know I would lol. Anyone interested let me know.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Academy Event: "License to Curse" 01/09 @ 4pm EST

Post by Daolin »

Once again. 1 day off. The date is now correctly displayed for Saturday.

calista

Post by calista »

Location still undetermined or do we have a meeting place yet?

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

calista wrote:Location still undetermined or do we have a meeting place yet?
I have a place that should be ready but I cannot contact the owner at the moment. I'll update here and in IRC once it is confirmed.

calista

Post by calista »

Daolin wrote:
calista wrote:Location still undetermined or do we have a meeting place yet?
I have a place that should be ready but I cannot contact the owner at the moment. I'll update here and in IRC once it is confirmed.
OK great thank you!

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Academy Event: "License to Curse" Postponed to 01/16

Post by Daolin »

Postponing to next weekend. Sorry everyone, I couldn't quite pull through a location or backup location in time. I don't want to half ass an attempt in the next 10 minutes either.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Re: Academy Event: "License to Curse" ** Postponed to 01/16

Post by son »

This kinda sucks, I wont be able to make it then. O well gg
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

Event is tomorrow! Come prepared!

calista

Post by calista »

4pm EST is that right? I cant remeber for sure.