Patch 128 - April 14 2010: Fishing, Spawns

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Re: Patch 128 - April 14 2010: Fishing, Spawns

Post by Derrick »

MiB's and T-map pulls have been adjusted since the initial patch, and are now dead on 1/hr or better since Saturday morning's patch. This doesn't mean you're going to get 1/hr exactly in a days fishing. But there will be no further adjustments to MiB and map rates.

The ocean spawn is a different issue, we can look at adjusting this. Most negative comments on the spawn have been interspersed with other dramatic exaggeration and have been hard to take seriously.

I understand there was a little resentment in the change. The initial patch was not intended to be so harsh and was entirely the result of a error in calculation. It has been corrected.

The mistake is mine, and I apologize for it, but it's not a justification for the ranting that's been going on in this thread, it's childish and counterproductive.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

As for the ocean spawn "issue" I don't think there's really that much of an issue. Of course, I don't really remember the spawn during T2A, but I find plenty of monsters when I do mibs. I think the "issue" is that the fishers are moving very slowly in a straight line across the ocean. When I do mibs, I seperate them into the four quadrants of the map then do all the maps in a quadrant, just sailing from one to the other. I usually see 2-4 water ellies and 1 of each serpent per mib. Doing mibs requires a lot of navigating to get from one to the other, so I'm usually watching my screen and will chase after a monster if I see it. I'm willing to bet that most fishermen don't watch their screen for the entire time they're fishing, even if they're "attending."

I spoke to Derrick to get the numbers right.

There are about 11,000,000 water tiles on the ocean. The size of a screen is about 20x20, or 400. That means that there are 27,500 "screens" in the world. At any given time, there are on average 400 creatures on the sea. That means that there are 27,100 empty screens in the world and only 1 in 68 have monsters. http://pastebin.com/hjgrdGia is a textual representation of the sea. Every + is a blank screen (400 tiles) and every O is a screen with one monster in it. Looks pretty populated to me.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Before I could fish up ~50mibs without running into anything but the occasional dolphin. That was certainly not era accurate.

The water ele and sea serpent spawns now seem much improved. Didn't notice any change to the ever-rare deep sea serpent though.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Derrick wrote:but it's not a justification for the ranting that's been going on in this thread, it's childish and counterproductive.
But it is era accurate....... :mrgreen:

Appology accepted, I just felt the way it was done was a complete 180 from the way other changes are made on here. With no input from players, no testing of new rates on test, no attempt to get consensus from those of us who do a lot of fishing....seemed very wrong when anything PvP or PvM gets talked to death and tested to death. We would have liked the same considerations.

As to spawns, I thought sea serpent spawns were dependant upon fishing pulls, not just random sea spawns?

Also, Tmaps pulls are still very very low. Mib's seem better but way out of whack as far as avg per hour. I pulled 5 in 1 hour then 1 in an hour with 3 guys.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Brules wrote:
Derrick wrote: As to spawns, I thought sea serpent spawns were dependant upon fishing pulls, not just random sea spawns?
Pulling up the serpents is suppose to depend on failure with 80 or more fishing from what I have read about it.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:
Brules wrote:
Derrick wrote: As to spawns, I thought sea serpent spawns were dependant upon fishing pulls, not just random sea spawns?
Pulling up the serpents is suppose to depend on failure with 80 or more fishing from what I have read about it.
That's correct, it's a chance on failure, a GM fisher will never fish up a sea serpent.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Brules

Post by Brules »

Derrick wrote: That's correct, it's a chance on failure, a GM fisher will never fish up a sea serpent.
They how can arbitrarily increasing the serpent spawn be accurate? I havent pulled any but have seen 1000x more than ever before adn it is not due to less than GM fishermen pulling them.....?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Brules wrote:
Derrick wrote: That's correct, it's a chance on failure, a GM fisher will never fish up a sea serpent.
They how can arbitrarily increasing the serpent spawn be accurate? I havent pulled any but have seen 1000x more than ever before adn it is not due to less than GM fishermen pulling them.....?
This isn't having anything to do with pulling them from fishing, that rate hasn't been touched for ages. Water Elementals, Dolphins, and both varieties of sea serpents spawn naturally on the seas.

A quick forum search yielded these previous topics.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13526
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... w=previous

Brules

Post by Brules »

Right, but the sea serpent spawn seems to have been multiplied x10....if you want to use spawn to deal with afk macroers.....would be cool to see more seep sea serps or krakens or some other nasty targets that would be worth killing.

Actually some at sea spawns would be a nice alt to dunegons......

Severity

Post by Severity »

Derrick would you like us to post a new set of findings over say 8 hours again to see if things are better, or do you not care if it's fixed or not considering you wont be making any changes either way?

Notoriety

Post by Notoriety »

Derrick, do you expect me to be a freaking nerd? Are you trying to ruin my life? Do you want me to flunk out of college? I hope not.

The fishing nerf however accurate is horrible. All theory is based upon the factor of one gm fisherman fishing at maximum speed. You want that one fisher doing everything perfectly to receive ONLY 1 mib[average of 2k] and 1 tmap lvl 1[average of 1k] while they watch a boat move into more water? Who wants to waste their life for 3k an hour? I can make 3k off of harpies faster.

The old rate may have been too much but 1/hr is ra-tarded beyond comprehension. Fishing is worthless now.

Valentine

Post by Valentine »

Great Derrick. You'd fit in amongst the EA staff now - you just made an entire skill completely redundant.

Who in their right mind is going to sit at a computer for 10 hours watching a fishing macro to obtain 10 MIBs? (and even at that they're not guaranteed to get those 10)

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Derrick wrote:The ranting that's been going on in this thread, it's childish and counterproductive.
This. You people need to learn to show a bit of respect towards the owner and staff of the free shard you play for free, whatever changes have been made, have not been made to "screw" you.
Valentine wrote:Who in their right mind is going to sit at a computer for 10 hours watching a fishing macro to obtain 10 MIBs? (and even at that they're not guaranteed to get those 10)
That's how its been for at least the last year, no one has had a problem with it until you 3 children started throwing toys out of your pram.
Notoriety wrote:All theory is based upon the factor of one gm fisherman fishing at maximum speed. You want that one fisher doing everything perfectly to receive ONLY 1 mib[average of 2k] and 1 tmap lvl 1[average of 1k] while they watch a boat move into more water? Who wants to waste their life for 3k an hour? I can make 3k off of harpies faster.
GM Fishing is almost entirely risk free, bar the odd bit of spawn, and very very occasional pirate. If you cant understand why your not making 20k an hour doing it, no one will be able to explain why its obviously more profitable to actually enter a risk filled environment like a dungeon, where death is hundreds of times more likely.

Fishing was ridiculously high profit for the risk taken, now it is not, deal with it children.
?

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

GM Fishing is almost entirely risk free, bar the odd bit of spawn, and very very occasional pirate. If you cant understand why your not making 20k an hour doing it, no one will be able to explain why its obviously more profitable to actually enter a risk filled environment like a dungeon, where death is hundreds of times more likely.

Fishing was ridiculously high profit for the risk taken, now it is not, deal with it children.
Whether or not something is good or bad for the server, is honestly, irrelevant. The question is whether it's era accurate, or not. People busted their humps to make GM Fishermans because fishing was lucrative & risk free, just like it was during the T2A era.

So that BS argument aside, the only important question is "is it era accurate". Highly debateable in my opinion. Stratics had an article that "supposed" something like 1 MIB/hr. But that's not OSI, so the truth is. There's really no way to know for sure. So, let's assume that once an hour IS what it's supposed to be, we have nothing else to go on anyway.

99.99999% of the complaints in this thread is simply because NOBODY was getting anywhere NEAR the 1 MIB/hr mark for nearly a week or so after the patch went in. It was very very frustrating as I was one of those people. BUT, it does appear as if the current state of things is accurate, or at least very very close. I only fish while at work, but on Friday I fished for about 8 hours and I think I got something like 14 or 15 MIB's using 2 Fisherman. 16 would've been nice, but I'll take 15. The problem my friend was that people were using 2-3 Fisherman for 8 hours a piece and getting....4 MIB's. That, is ridiculous. Might want to brush up on those reading comprehension skills.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Kublai Khan
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Kublai Khan »

I am very glad that Derrick done this to fishing. It can't hurt the economy only make it stronger, which is one of the greatest things about this era/shard. Good going Derrick!

Return to “Patch Notes”