Patch 132 -July 1, 2010: Fatigue, Monster aggression, Weight

Information on the latest Server Patches
Provina

Re: Patch 132 -July 1, 2010: Fatigue, Monster aggression, We

Post by Provina »

I have noticed since this patch, trying to tame a White Wyrm hase gone near impossible

Before the patch I could cast the Creature down to near death to avoid them casting Ebolts and Flamestrikes, Paralize etc. for a while

Now they cast high level spells even when they are near death CONSTANTLY! Is this intended to be like that? I hope not.

Tried to tame one just before, restocked 3 times (40 regs each) because of constant healing before I got boxed by that beast and killed, then looted by a red that came by...

Im am soo frustrated now... please tell me this is a mistake and will be fixed :?
Last edited by Provina on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

[quote="Provina"]Now they cast high level spells even when they are near death CONSTANTLY! Is this intended to be like that? I hope not.
/quote]

Ive noticed this with balrons too. They keep casting FS/Ebolt/Explode on me way more than they use to. Don't they have a mana limit?
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Faust

Post by Faust »

Don't deal damage or get next to the white wyrm and it won't ever even cast one spell on you.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

If that is true Faust then that is a bug.

The act of taming a WW is the same as casting a spell and should trigger the agression and spellcasting.
[broken image]

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Provina wrote:I have noticed since this patch, trying to tame a White Wyrm hase gone near impossible

Before the patch I could cast the Creature down to near death to avoid them casting Ebolts and Flamestrikes, Paralize etc. for a while
There wasn't any change to spellcasters spell selection in this patch, but there was in patch 130, although it should not have had an effect on direct damage spell selection. They should be able to choose these spells as long as they have the mana to cast them.

I can look into what caused this change but it's hard to say it's not correct behavior.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

tekai wrote:If that is true Faust then that is a bug.

The act of taming a WW is the same as casting a spell and should trigger the agression and spellcasting.
How is that the case?

Taming isn't an aggressive action.

Provina

Post by Provina »

Derrick wrote:There wasn't any change to spellcasters spell selection in this patch, but there was in patch 130, although it should not have had an effect on direct damage spell selection. They should be able to choose these spells as long as they have the mana to cast them.

I can look into what caused this change but it's hard to say it's not correct behavior.
Thank you!

2 more things I noticed:

1. The "guard" command on pets works with my frienzied Ostard, but if I try the same with my Dragon it says "This cannot be guarded by a pet or hireling".

2. Trying to shear a tamed sheep (not mine) flags criminal? This is new to me too.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

How is that the case?

Taming isn't an aggressive action.
From OSI's taming script:

Code: Select all

integer Q46B = getObjType(usedon);
  if((Q46B == 0x0C) || (Q46B == 0x3B) || (Q46B == 0x3C) || (Q46B == 0x3D))
  {
    integer Q4AY = random(0x01, 0x0A);
    if(Q4AY != 0x01)
    {
      ebarkTo(usedon, this, "You seem to anger the beast!");
      attack(usedon, this);
      detachScript(this, "tame");
      return(0x00);
    }
  }
From templatestable:

Code: Select all

DRAGONS                { 12 1 59 1 }
DRAKES                 { 60 1 61 1 }
0x0C 12, 0x3B..0x3D = 59..61
What this means : dragon/drake type could attack when angered unless this feature was removed post-demo. Like Derrick suggested in another thread, wether or not an attack will trigger spells should still be researched.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Faust

Post by Faust »

I was considering that the anger the beast feature might have caused an aggressive action but wasn't positive. However, the last patch negated that making this a non-issue. :wink:

"White Wyrm no longer angers on tame." - Patch 132

Btw, not that my opinion matters... but attacking a creature did in fact cause the trigger to allow creatures to begin casting. I guarentee that you will find it in there.. This is a feature that I remember very well. :wink:

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Are monsters supposed to be able to constantly attack us? Are they engaging us even after they have attacked?

Is this a bug? Currently you can tab from a monster but even if it's not casting it will keep "attack lasting" you like a player would.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The creatures pretty much re-attack a second after tabbing out.

I recall them doing it about every 30-45 seconds on the demo. Seems way too fast if you ask me.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Something is afoot with these npcs!

They seem to attack last spam you, as mentioned above.

I guess it's a product of the "you now auto defend on the next monster when one dies" patch?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Tamed animals are also acting strange.

***A pet that has been told to stay will do just that. Even if you attack the pet, it will stay on it's current tile until it dies. There is no way to get it off the tile if you are not the owner (except perhaps enticement).

***Ditto for a pet that has been told to follow. It will continue following even when attacked, ignoring it's attacker.

***Once a pet is tamed, it automatically "stays". I seem to recall them just wandering until given a command. This isn't an issue, but coupled with the current pet AI bugs, it can be very annoying.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks. Working on these bugs and others. The holiday and a trip out of town have slowed things down a little bit.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Derrick wrote:
Hicha wrote:Monsters will continue to aggro you through walls, however you shouldn't be seeing the "an orc is attacking you!" message.
It also means that because the monster on the other side of the wall cannot actually attack, but only "acquire", they will not incite your pets to attack them through a wall if your pets would not otherwise attack them on their own.
For some reason untamed animals in a house will enter combat with monsters outside and then pathfind towards them without having line of sight. If the above is true then shouldnt they ignore the outside monster, tame or not? I don't recall tame pets having any different attributes than non-tame ones, other than the fact that they would listen to commands.

Another thing I found interesting here is that once an npc enters combat it will stick to that combatant no matter what. For instance, if a sheep inside my house is pressed up against the wall trying to get at an ettin outside (which I don't agree should happen to begin with), I cannot attack and lead it anywhere. Even if I attack it and get close to it, it will not switch combatants over to me and pathfind to me.

Another effect of this is that you can trap an npc, attack it then back away so it cant hit you. Then bring another player in to spar with the trapped npc and the npc will not hit the player that is next to them because they are too busy trying to get to/aggro the first player who is out of range??

That cannot be right. I always remember that if a balron for instance was pathfinding towards another player who is across the screen, and you ran up to it and started hitting it, it would swing back at you while it was walking, if not switch targets to you depending on it's AI.

This creates both an annoyance when trying to train pets and players, as well as an exploit which allows players to attack an npc without taking any return damage.