Patch 138 - Oct 30 2010: A less pale reflection.

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Re: Patch 138 - Oct 30 2010: A less pale reflection.

Post by Derrick »

We've had to make quite a few tweaks related to LOS issues over the last couple days, and while a couple of the changes have been emergency fixes to prevent LOS exploits, we will be looking further into what's correct and not in regards to these changes. By default RunUO depends highly on LOS to validate item manipulation and only considers two dimensions, it is suspected at this point, due to having LOS to many unexpected places now, that more than just LOS is used is OSI when determining the ability to manipulate items. We do know that OSI did use height (range in three dimensions) in some circumstances, but not all, to validate that a players is within range of an object.

There was little doubt that making changes to LOS was going to be a big deal, and also rather risky; moving forward with changes, even though we know they are right, is bound to reveal errors in other systems. We are diligently trying to find and correct these shortcomings, and this mornings patch and yesterdays patches should fix most of those which are known.

I did some testing with LOS though hills, and I did find the results to be somewhat surprising. I made a 14 day account on EA UO to do some testing initiall on the LOS, which is now expired; I suspect i will have to hop back over there and do some further testing. One thing that was well verified is that the LOS on EA's UO is primarily the same today as it was in 1998.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Vishakt

Post by Vishakt »

So far I'm not a fan of your mining changes. I generally mine the huge mountain range around the Compassion Desert, and where 2 locations would fill up my pack, now I'm lucky if 3 will. There is a copper ore "vein" that yields 3 frikkan ore. Thats it. Then its out. I have to mine two to three times the area to get the ore I used to.

I'm an orc. I don't recall to spots. So I might be alone, but this seems to suck big-time. (I tried to wait and see if the issue was elsewhere but no one else seems to be complaining...why is that?)

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Vishakt, sounds like the copper vein has a small amount of mountain on it's 8x8 tile resource square?

I don't think it's fair to complain that the changes, coupled with your self-imposed travel restrictions, make the game more difficult for you.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I understand any change that reduces the ease of obtaining things is going to be met with friction, as such I have been pleased that most players understood why we made these changes and adapted. When the shard first opened we'd mistakenly left the "double resources" on, and of course they were some upset players when the about of ore in a vein went from 30 to 15; it is of course clear to most familiar with the game in this era that a mining vein should not yield 30 ore, but it's understandable still that this would generate dissatisfaction.

This was a big yet accurate change to the way resource veins are calculated. Some areas yield more ore now, but most yield less. The more drastic change is of course to the players who had housing sitting over a rock in the middle of the woods who could pull up 15 or more whole ore through the floor. This was of course not correct, and those tiny spots in the middle of forests now yield at best a couple partial ore.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Vishakt

Post by Vishakt »

I'll survive, it just seemed like an error when a giant mountain yields 3 ore in a spot and I was used to more. Since it isn't, I'll move on. Still love the shard.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Over the last couple weeks there have been a few fixes to some issues that arose from Patch 138. We have had to tweak some of the mechanics to avoid issues with line of sight which were not compatible with the way RunUO handles Lifting and Using of items. We were able to make a more correct adjustment to the lift and use mechanics this morning, and the restrictions on lifting an item which is over you head has been removed.

Changes since Oct 30:
  • Item and trap additions to level one of Dungeon Deceit.
  • Fixed message for failed house command targets. Including the message stating that a co-owner had released a secure, when he had not.
  • Correction to CoOwners, A character on the same account as the owner is treated as a co-owner as long as they don't own a house.
  • An rare situation allowing guards to follow reds far from the town lines has been fixed. This specifically involved guards appearing in Bucs Dens when a blue player was attacked and recalled to another town.
  • Drakes now drop level two treasure maps, was 3.
  • Guildmaster menu now indicates that the website is changed along with the charter
  • Balrons and Daemons are now more aggressive to players who approach them.
  • Some NPC's were spawning with extremely high Fame levels, this has been corrected.
  • CTF: If Hiding or Teleport is enabled in a CTF game, it will not work for anyone carrying the flag.
  • Tournament LeaderBook's for Team Size >= 3 will read 3v3+, there is no individual data for tourney sizes of three or more.
  • Change before match and after match delays. Non-Free-Use delay is now 30 sec, up from 18
  • In the case of a tie in CTF, the winner will be the team with the most captures, if that is equal there will be a coin toss.
  • Silver will always be added to each player of the winning teams bank. In cases where both the bank and backpack were full, it was being deleted.
Changes effective this morning:
  • Some land including hills and cave walls was being treated as transparent, this has been corrected.
  • You can no longer reach through a floor or ceiling to pick up items, other temporary fixes made since patch 138 have been removed.
  • Items dropped to an invalid location will now stack back to their original location properly if possible.
  • Items which were lifted from a location that becomes out of range will no longer "bounce" back to that location, but will instead drop to the players feet.
  • Items in trade windows will bounce to the correct original location if the trade window is canceled.
  • It should no longer be possible to lift items across an impassable barrier such as a fence; this will also prevent the lifting of items which are on the patio of a house, behind the railing.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The issue with dragging ore through the mouth of a cave will be fixed tommorrow.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Brit town crier still had the Lord title after server restart :P
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

i dont know if its intentional but are trees supposed to block line of sight?

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

marmalade wrote:i dont know if its intentional but are trees supposed to block line of sight?
So glad you noticed that too. I was doing some T-maps last night and on several occassions i got "target cannot be seen" message. The mob was literally 4 tiles away but because there was a tree between him and i , i cannot see him, but he sure can see me :)
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

That being era accurate, I think it was intended. I could be wrong.

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

I was in Fire Dungeon earlier today, and mages are still able to nuke and poison through the floors and walls, my dragon was also able to poison mages on the level beneath it as well.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Rose wrote:That being era accurate, I think it was intended. I could be wrong.
Do not recall trees ever blocking LOS during UO:R, no mention of it being changed
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

if tress blocked LoS, i imagine lots of people would remember it since fighting in forests would have been nearly impossible.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

marmalade wrote:i dont know if its intentional but are trees supposed to block line of sight?
I don't think so, pretty certain they should not. Looking into this. Thanks.