A Random List of Observations

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

A Random List of Observations

Post by chumbucket »

So I've been here almost a month. I love the shard, so consider all of this constructive criticism...

1. Blue pk - OMGIHAVEALREADYTALKEDTHISONETODEATh. Not as big a problem as I feared it would be, but still annoying that there are no real, player enforced consequences for pking and no real way to play a legitimate pk except via gank squads.

2. Crafting Menus - Suck, but I have already made a post about this as well.

3. Tailoring/Leather Armor - Currently tailoring is more or less worthless. That seems like a shame, era accurate or not.

4. Dungeon Spawn - Seems a little sparse and uniform. More creatures and a bigger variety of creatures would be nice.

5. Townkilling - A little too hard to pull off considering how amusing it is. I suspect I am in a minority on this one though.

6. Maahes - Immune to my l33t pvp skills. Should make it so I can pk him. Even better: So I can townkill him.

7. Lack of player vendors - I'm not sure what the explanation for this is, but it seems like the only really nice vendor on the shard is Coffee's and the vendors of the Vesper Mini Mall. Perhaps the shard is just too young right now.

8. Quests - The quests you have are awesome. More! (I realize they are time consuming to create!)

Perhaps I'll have more once I actually bother to PvP (get killed a lot). Again, love the shard.

Ed

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: A Random List of Observations

Post by chumbucket »

9. Fame - It seems very easy to get!

ed (again)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks much Ed, for criticism this is mild, yet I'll address as many of them as possible.

Leather armor should be pretty useful for a hybrid. I'm really surprised it isn't utilized more. Many of you observations I think can be attributed to us being a young shard. We've gone from 35 to 126 (tonight) players in a little over 3 months.

We do intend to address more of the dungeon spawn. We've been going though the dungeons individually over the past weeks and improving, but we haven't visited them all yet.

Townkilling takes a little finesse, as it should.

Yes, very serious about adding more quests as soon as possible

Sauron

Post by Sauron »

T2a is T2a :P

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

Derrick, about the Dungeon Spawn: it seems like it's been getting lighter over the past few weeks, in particular Ogre Lord Island is now just... Ogre and Scorpion Island, as well as the spawn in Fire Temple seems like it's turning out a lot less (no Balrons there in a while?). Not sure about the accuracy of before or after, but will the changes be increasing difficulty or decreasing?

~|~Damaja
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ~|~Damaja »

The spawns here are actually really really over the top compared to how t2a really was. Its incrediably easy to make money here compared to how it was on osi in this era. 10-15 minutes in a dungeon is all I need to have enough $ to macro for days. Could be why you dont see to many people out as well. T2a era monsters werent very hard or smart and there just wasnt very many of them and slow respawn times made it harder to make $ which kept the economy in check to, and also made certain dungeons great mage pvp areas (eg. deceit) because the monsters didnt pathfind very well follow you for very long or anything. Old stratics has a complete monster list and where they can be found. Same with the dungeon links have which monsters are each dungeons for this era.

and leather armor was pretty useless in 98-99. Seem to remember tamers using more then anyone really. They didnt need to cast as much so mana regen wasnt as much an issue? chainmail suits with plate gorget and arms was the only armor anyone really wore. Best protection with the least amount of dex loss. magic leather and studded would be worth it. I'd probably wear some leather on my med warrior

TwoTon

Post by TwoTon »

i like the dungeon spawn how it is now, but id suggest narrowing the destard spawn down a little its VERY over the top, dragons didnt have magery, and they were def not this hard to kill, i mean its the only reason i can think of since i NEVER see ANYONE there. and on OSI destard was the number one hunted dungeon by bards and such.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

TwoTon wrote:dragons didnt have magery
I've heard this rumor before. But I have very specific recolections of dragons dispelling by EV's back on Chessie in 1999. Can anyone back me up on this?

ironfistmax

Post by ironfistmax »

I am pretty sure they would dispel but that's the only "spell" they casted. They just hit like a truck and fireballed like a hurricane.

ironfistmax

Post by ironfistmax »

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Very strange. I was long gone in Sept 2000.

Storm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Storm »

ironfistmax wrote:Found it!

http://update.uo.com/design_269.html
This was months after the release of UO:R.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

ironfistmax

Post by ironfistmax »

Yes I know but think about what it means.

If dragons had magery and could cast up to 7th circle, why on earth would they take away dispel?

This proves they didn't have magery up until that time.

I as well remember Destard being a HUGE hotspot of bards, pvp, and pkers. Bards would not have been fighting here in 1999 if they died in 2 seconds.........

Falx

Post by Falx »

dragons always had autodispel when a summon touched them~

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm sure they didn't auto-dispell in the T2A era, but I do remember them dispelling until they ran out of mana, which didn't take too long. I specificially remember evaling them to check mana as well. This was before the new AI even, when they still couldn't move around simple obstacles.

I'm buying the no magery but dispell, the more I think about that the closer in come to my recollection of their behavior. This doesn't clarify the Sept 2000 patch note for me entirely though.