Equipping while casting

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Equipping while casting

Post by Faust »

I already have stated in my other thread with a list of items that I have been against "each and every single one of these items" sometime in the past.

I have said many times that I remember spells getting interrupted when equipping during the casting process even in this thread...

My memory has no weight on the logical and over whelming evidence that surrounds the issue since it could have easily been corrupted from the UOR version of pre-casting in my ten years of these shards.

Sorry, but trying to discredit someone that has already admitted to this isn't going to help your argument out even the slightest.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust, read your own words.

You are not only just saying that you have ALWAYS remembered that there was no ability to arm while casting during T2A, but you are using your own evidence to make a case proving that there was no ability to arm while casting.

Like I said, you are sounding like a politician when they are for something before they were against it.

You know that casting while armed is wrong and never occurred in T2A (maybe pre-T2A like the demo) but since it would benefit your own playstyle, you are all for it and have jumped on a trumped up case that I've already discredited in another post.

You've just jumped sides and have worked to twist the time line and logic to work to your own favor.

To arm while casting in T2A is..
  • Is not supported by memory..
    not supported by facts...
    And not supported by your own sources.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The approach you are taking isn't getting you know where with this topic let alone your argument.
Faust wrote:Sorry, but trying to discredit someone that has already admitted to this isn't going to help your argument out even the slightest.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Is not supported by memory..
Your memory, maybe, but what facts and other sources are there currently against it?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

Also, my memory involving UOE 6 and the old buggy delay when arming a weapon could have easily been mistaken for the time period of the removal of pre-casting in January '99 since equipping a weapon too late would have removed the target cursor due to that bug. That is the problem with memories, they are completely unrealiable. I have already conceded any of my arguments against this game mechanic due to the overwhelming evidence that supports the opposite side of the argument. Yes, once more... I argued against this feature based on my memory and whole heartedly admitted to any lack of factual evidence to prove or disprove the old pre-casting as seen in my quoted response provided by you. My post was only indicating the currrent pre-casting system that was based on at that particular time. I have conceded a number of arguments in the past such as Hemperor and Kaivan owning me with the tab and attack last throttle. It may not happen very often but it does happen from time to time. :wink:

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Hemperor wrote:
Is not supported by memory..
Your memory, maybe, but what facts and other sources are there currently against it?
I'm not going to use new sources, just the existing ones properly to sort this out correctly.

Creager

Post by Creager »

Kraarug wrote:I'm not going to use new sources, just the existing ones properly to sort this out correctly.
What sources are against the change? I’ve sifted through this thread a few times, and I’ve yet to see anything against it.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Creager wrote:
Kraarug wrote:I'm not going to use new sources, just the existing ones properly to sort this out correctly.
What sources are against the change? I’ve sifted through this thread a few times, and I’ve yet to see anything against it.
Simply put, read Adricks posts. One is not 'non longer able' to do something they were not able to do before. In other words, there were different mini-versions of pre-casting tested in early July. Adrick is not making a gap analysis of the differences between 1999 and 2001 pre-casting. He's litterlally speaking about a change he was about to make to the pre-casting that was on the test ceter that day.

You should read Ian's post and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. He spells out that the old way of pre-casting required you to wait for the cursor to arm.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

bump.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Caswallon wrote:I cant believe this has apparently been missed until now, i can only assume because its a 2000 patch note, and nobody checks those as our cut off is Nov 99.
Server Publish Jan 24 2000 9:14AM CST

Pre-casting

The bug involving the ability to “pre-cast” spells and then use or take items will be fixed. After casting a spell, the targeting cursor will disappear if the player does any of the following:

* Equips or unequips an item.
* Takes an item.
* Drags an item from their backpack.
So, using/draging item while casting = fizzle, but casting then equipping while cursor is up = how it was until this point in time?
no, this is referring to once casting is complete. even during UO:R you could chug a potion during casting, but you could not chug a potion after your cursor was up (or the spell would just disappear).

you could arm a shield during casting even well into UO:R. i played a turtle mage for a few months in UO:R before they removed the ability to do that, too. the only reason you couldn't arm a weapon was due to the fact that spellbooks were forced into your hands after UO:R was released. so logically from that i'm guessing

-you could arm a weapon /shield during casting pre t2a, and in the demo
-you could arm a shield during casting in UO:R
-there was probably never any patch during these 2 timeframes that prevented weapons from being equipped while casting, so logically this should be possible on UOSA
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Good to see this topic still going. So correct me if I'm wrong, but there is currently no proof to support equip=interrupt other than memory?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Hemperor wrote:Good to see this topic still going. So correct me if I'm wrong, but there is currently no proof to support equip=interrupt other than memory?
Nor that people could equip while casting in T2A.

Like I said, if players could arm while casting it would have made wrestling as useful as tits on a boar.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Demo is proof enough until proven otherwise since it has been completely reliable on many fundamental game mechanics. This is especially so since there is no indication of it ever changing until the UOR publish when spellbooks were forcefully equipped upon the first stage of casting a spell before the target or spell finishes.

Wrestling is not completely negated due to this old game mechanic. Again, there is suppose to be no disrupt delay and when someone is interrupted during this process it takes the remainder of the action delay before you can unequip and cast another spell. The action delay needs to be fixed for this too. Also, there is evidence to suggest that the equip delay can be bypassed in the new swing timer and equipping a weapon in this manner would severely render a weapon useless in most cases if this is true since the delay would simply restart.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust,

Your post is theory, that's not proof. It's ok though, most people get it confused.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Hrm, quite like you making accusations that the demo isn't true for anything?
UO Google Groups - http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/browse_thread/thread/f2ad037f4a5d2479/43dca166a8100ef3?lnk=gst&q=%22ultima+online%22%2Bspell%2Bwield#43dca166a8100ef3 wrote:I made an interesting discovery last night. Effective after
the last patch, you can wield a weapon when casting targetable spells
as the code checks for weapons when clicking with the targeting
cursor, and not while casting. So, cast the spell while having your
paperdoll open, drag you weapon to your bag with the targeting cursor,
shoot the spell and put your weapon back.

Note that you can also leave the cursor in the targetting mode
and play for ages with it. It's good for tight situations such as
training with wisps where you can die in a second if you don't have
reactive armor on.

Hmmm, very interesting.
Darn, that inaccurate demo!