Horse Spawns

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Horse Spawns

Post by Caswallon »

I believe its been suggested previously that horses did not spawn in the old lands, I found this while digging around on wayback machine. I dont remember horses spawning apart from in the lost lands, this appears to confirm that.
Feb 1st 2001.

Spawns in general were changed. Some areas, like northeast of Minoc, were nearly void of animals and monsters. Now they are full of them, more animals than monsters. Horses have also been added to the animal spawns in the old lands.
http://web.archive.org/web/200104250604 ... cle=010201
?

Ooompa Loompa

Re: Horse Spawns

Post by Ooompa Loompa »

Very true. I'd forgotten about this.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

In addition:
Reena the Tamer

I originally began playing Ultima Online in May '99. I didn't like it at first. Why did I buy it? A close friend of mine at the time spent a great deal of time playing it, so I wanted to try it. I was already an avid fan of the various DOS versions of AD&D as well as Baldur's Gate. So, I picked the ranger template (templates back then were quite a bit different than they are now). I was very unimpressed with the game itself at first. The first character I tried to play was on Test Center (I mean, I was "testing" the game out, so it looked like the right place), which was also much different than the way it is now. I also tried the thief/rogue template, since the thief/mage is my favorite character in Baldur's Gate

Then, I tried it again and actually got help from my friend in trying to learn how to play. Upon his recommendation, I started this time with 50 magery and 50 resist, so that I could be a mage like him and his friend. He taught me how to be a tailor to make money for myself and how to use magic. Then, as I sat in the tailor shop, a tamed dog decided it was better off to be without a master. After watching my friend tame bunny rabbits previously, I tried to tame the dog, just to see if I could. After just one try, it was mine, and I named it after my real life dog, Shadow. I told my friend all about it, and he encouraged me, telling me that I could become a tamer and eventually tame dragons. I decided that was what I realy wanted to do in UO.

Then my younger brother wanted to play, too. We started fighting over the account, so I went out and bought a second one and gave my older one to my brother, since he had the most developed character on the account. My new account was opened June 1, 1999. Reena Dae was created upon the account's opening.

After taming many creatures in my home town of Moonglow and around my friend's house near Wind, I wanted nothing more than to tame horses. I would camp abandoned horses, constantly using animal lore on them to see when they would go wild so that I could tame them. The only clue I had towards finding real wild horses was that they spawned somewhere in T2A.

Upon exploring this strange T2A, I found my first dangerous creature, the alligator! I thought he was the coolest thing, and immediately, I began to tame him. I soon realized that every time I punched him, he got too angry to keep taming. So, I started to keep my distance, and he soon became mine. I traveled around, looking for more 'gators, and particularly more horses. Little did I know that horses would be very impossible to find in the desert.

http://web.archive.org/web/200104052054 ... tent=reena

EDIT: For clarity's sake, the use of the term T2A here is referring to the landmass, not the era.
Last edited by Caswallon on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Wait, your first quote says they don't spawn in T2A in 1999 but your second one says they do.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

No, the first quote says they were added to the old lands[Britain, Vesper etc] spawn in 2001, previous to this they only spawned in the lost lands, which is also what the second quote is confirming.
?

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Yet more statements about the new found availability of horses in the old lands, previously only spawning in the lost lands/T2A area, from 2001.
February 01, 2001 1:31 pm - New Spawn Changes

Horses now spawn in the old lands, in addition to T2A. They spawn quite heavily outside of Minoc. I have also seen them spawn in the Yew area. I haven't quite gotten around to checking all the woods, but I'm gonna guess that horses will spawn in any wooded area in the old lands.
http://web.archive.org/web/200103020310 ... chive.com/

I fail to see where the confusion lies. Lost Lands/New Lands/T2A are all terms used to reference the Papua/Delucia new lands/area/T2A.
?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Ahhh, I thought T2A was the "old lands". My bad.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for the post. We significantly reduced hourse spawns in Britainnia some time ago under evidence that they didn't spawn there, but we didn't have anything as conclusive as this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Thank you for this. I have fought and fought to have horses removed from the old lands. Everyone thought I was insane though. I specifically remembered calling a gm and asking him if horses spawned in the old lands and him telling me no. I never ever saw a horse spawn there during T2A. Everyone brought them out of the lost lands.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

tangar

Post by tangar »

so now there are no horse spawns in old lands at all?