Water Barrels

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Van Raily

Water Barrels

Post by Van Raily »

I remember these being extremely easy to get. Just taking an empty pitcher, filling it up, drinking it if necessary, and repeating to empty a water barrel from any town (particularly Trinsic). I'm finding this technique not working here. Am I missing something? I remember RP town guilds having tons of water barrels as "walls" around their cities, so they can't possibly be difficult to gather or rare in any way.

And why are whips so expensive? I remember them being 1500 gold at most because they spawned readily in the Skara ranger huts (both barrels and chests) and didn't require stealing to take.
Gone to greener pastures.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Water Barrels

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I cant remember if this was T2A or not, but I certainly remember using these in many creative ways, would like to see them return (if accurate).

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Van Raily wrote:I remember these being extremely easy to get. Just taking an empty pitcher, filling it up, drinking it if necessary, and repeating to empty a water barrel from any town (particularly Trinsic). I'm finding this technique not working here. Am I missing something? I remember RP town guilds having tons of water barrels as "walls" around their cities, so they can't possibly be difficult to gather or rare in any way.

And why are whips so expensive? I remember them being 1500 gold at most because they spawned readily in the Skara ranger huts (both barrels and chests) and didn't require stealing to take.
I remember using this technique extensively as well; I brought it up awhile back but never received an answer for it. They were changed to passable well into UO:R; if this feature went in I could only imagine the amount of griefing that would occur.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I honestly forget if they were ever impassable, but if so, 1000 new ideas just came into my head.

"Mechanical Accuracy" right?

Van Raily

Some more stuff...

Post by Van Raily »

Also, why can't I buy soup and peas and corn? Where's the roast pig and the mundane foods (besides on vendors for like 50k)? They're supposed to be in taverns and inns. They aren't at farmer's markets, either (I don't remember if they were in "bowl form" there, but neither are there corn cobs available). Gourds are missing, too, and I'm pretty sure the other fruits (bananas, pears, apples, etc.) are supposed to be available from the market as well.

I'm guessing this is just a mistake, and it was left out. Surely this isn't intentional... is it?

Edit: Also, aren't barrels at docks and things supposed to spawn small fish and fishing rods and large fish in them, plus raw fish steaks?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

the corn/peas etc was given away as a prize on thanks giving. the pigs etc are at tavern keepers. Between inn keepers,tavern keepers, markets, most food items are pretty easy to get. You dont need stealing to pick up the whip here.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The correct implementation of water barrels has been on the list for a while.

I'll see what I can find out about the bowls of vegtables. I'm pretty sure some are buyable, most come in two varieties, wooden bowl, and pewter
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

I was at the Barnacle in Minoc, and none of the NPCs were selling soup, stew, or any bowls (pewter or wood, with any food). I went to the Skara Brae farmer's market and saw what was missing there. Either way, corns and peas should be around. They have been since Day 1, as far as I can tell.

And glad to hear about the barrels. Need 'em for my tavern!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

the bowls of stew/soup are spawning rares here. They are the big ones. I am not sure about the smaller bowls of soups.
You may be able to find somone of the things your looking for by also looking into provisiosners and farmers market lockboxes.

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

That's what I've come to realize, but it's not era-accurate.

THE CAPTAIN DEMANDS HIS PEAS. frown.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

nutritious and delicous?!

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I honestly forget if they were ever impassable, but if so, 1000 new ideas just came into my head.

they were definately impassable and unmovable until the water was drained out. one of the more popular PK guilds on chesapeake would block off certain areas in t2a near the ophidian fort to keep their prey from running away. only problem was they would have to be "refreshed" by draining them and picking them back up, then dropping and refilling to keep them from decaying on the ground. they were affected by the same decay timer as other items left on the ground im pretty sure. lots of dirty things can be done with these though. cant wait to see it here.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

ClowN wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:I honestly forget if they were ever impassable, but if so, 1000 new ideas just came into my head.

they were definately impassable and unmovable until the water was drained out. one of the more popular PK guilds on chesapeake would block off certain areas in t2a near the ophidian fort to keep their prey from running away. only problem was they would have to be "refreshed" by draining them and picking them back up, then dropping and refilling to keep them from decaying on the ground. they were affected by the same decay timer as other items left on the ground im pretty sure. lots of dirty things can be done with these though. cant wait to see it here.
I know that they definately did not decay. I had my tower on pacific lined with them for looks and never touched them. I just was not sure if they were impassable.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, this particular function is still on OSI servers today. Water barrels work in the following manner:
  • The barrel must be empty.
  • The barrel must not be locked down in a house.
  • A barrel filled with water becomes unhighlightable and does not decay and can be passed over.
  • Barrels may be subsequently emptied, but they will no longer be containers, they will simply be barrels, and they can be moved if they were un-movable.
This was a relatively common practice during T2A by most thieves who wanted to get to barrels placed further back in many shops around the world (particularly in Vesper). The semi-rares in those boxes would attract players who would empty the forward barrels, move them using the water barrel tactic, and obtain the items in the back containers.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Is there any information pointing towards unpassable barrels? Because I dont remember that, and have a hard time seeing it work in that manner for very long on OSI because of the obvious reasons.