Z axis things which are seemingly unproveable but existed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Z axis things which are seemingly unproveable but existed

Post by Mens Rea »

1) Logging out then placing a box, or even another character, on the square where the person logged out and having them appear on the next valid square above them. This worked under the wings of public towers [or private towers/buildings you were friended to], NPC buildings and shops, and anywhere else where there was a valid square above your logged character. For instance it would allow a person to get into the rooms at the front of Lord British's castle.

2) Teleporting. Setting last target to a square above you, standing directly underneath it and pressing last-target would result in you teleporting directly upwards.

I've tried long and hard to find proof that these existed but as of yet to no avail. Anyone remember these little tidbits?

Derrick

Re: Z axis things which are seemingly unproveable but existe

Post by Derrick »

For what it's worth, I've heard this from many disparate and reliable sources.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

The targetting issue could easily be solved by using the same target code that was used in the demo. However, trying to decipher that information and than implement is a lot harder said than done.

We know fully well that you could open the west britain bank doors and teleport from the front to the top tiles of the roof above them.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Faust wrote:We know fully well that you could open the west britain bank doors and teleport from the front to the top tiles of the roof above them.
I remember this from post-T2A... not sure I ever tried it in T2A... but my recollection was that it was a Line-of-Sight oddity. I don't think I ever used Last Target.

Also, yikes about the house-looting implications of the tower eaves bug. Whatever happened with the Energy Vortex change that allowed them to open doors on patios?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Mikel123 wrote:I remember this from post-T2A... not sure I ever tried it in T2A... but my recollection was that it was a Line-of-Sight oddity. I don't think I ever used Last Target.

Also, yikes about the house-looting implications of the tower eaves bug. Whatever happened with the Energy Vortex change that allowed them to open doors on patios?
To get onto rooftops, you would target the tile you wanted to teleport to, set it to lasttarget, then stand directly underneath that exact tile inside the building or under the ledge, cast teleport and hit your lasttarget key to teleport up.

You could teleport onto tower wings using this, and I believe it was later patched to prevent people from unauthorized access to tower wings (people would block off the wings to be safe anyway.) The same thing happened to crates/armoires bumping you up on the z-axis.

The EV change is still a work in progress from what I hear.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

It's accurate . That's how we went underground as well. There was a secret room under moonglow that this worked great with.

Seems there was a dirt patch in yew that i could go down into as well.

I think they know it exists but don't want people breaking into houses so it's disabled.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

With this could you go into the "courtyards" of keeps?
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

This would have 0 effect on breaking into houses. If you log in on another mobile, get sent up or down an entire z level, if you are in a house you will get booted to the sign.

Granted, this was a problem before T2A on osi.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

MatronDeWinter wrote:This would have 0 effect on breaking into houses. If you log in on another mobile, get sent up or down an entire z level, if you are in a house you will get booted to the sign.

Granted, this was a problem before T2A on osi.
Negative Matron - this was still alive and well during T2A but you just needed the right circumstances:

1) Public houses don't boot you on logging out/logging in - so you could go up a level in a public house because you would log in and be moved to a valid square.
2) If you were friended to a multi-story house, or a tower [which has a locked door but has wings] then the tile above you is a valid square to log in on.

In private houses the square would be valid, but you would log in inside the house [on a valid square] but the normal process of logging out/in to a private house would take hold and you would be outside the steps.
GuardianKnight wrote:It's accurate . That's how we went underground as well. There was a secret room under moonglow that this worked great with. Seems there was a dirt patch in yew that i could go down into as well.
Wow I remember that stuff now too GK! Tiny little square rooms? It was also a surprise to log in and find yourself in some random ass place because you logged out on your horse!
Hicha wrote:To get onto rooftops, you would target the tile you wanted to teleport to, set it to lasttarget, then stand directly underneath that exact tile inside the building or under the ledge, cast teleport and hit your lasttarget key to teleport up. You could teleport onto tower wings using this...

The EV change is still a work in progress from what I hear.
Teleporting onto house-squares was long gone by T2A my friend.

However, I've never been entirely convinced by the argument that EVs would open locked doors from the inside. Is there a thread on this?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

npc mobiles opening locked house doors from the inside was removed pretty early
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

You are right there Mens Rae. But that only means the owner of a public home, or private home with many friends/co-owners should be more careful. It does not simply create an exploit to allow random people into your home.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Matron, when i said break into houses i meant the wings of towers. We could set a box under us, log out and log back in. this would send us flying up the wings of towers.

I'm surprised you don't remember it from siege...it was used alot during pvp.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

GuardianKnight wrote:Matron, when i said break into houses i meant the wings of towers. We could set a box under us, log out and log back in. this would send us flying up the wings of towers.

I'm surprised you don't remember it from siege...it was used alot during pvp.
Really? Who couldn't do 50-100 damage while you logged out and logged back in? That was a solid 10-second process for me. Just waiting for the server/shard list to populate took 5 seconds alone.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

It was an instant process for me. All i had to do was login under their wings, come to top, gate outside to my wyrms locations, gate back in, and kill them on top of their tower. It was used alot. Mages had better luck with it being they didn't lug around pets.....Most people didn't go solo so they'd just gate their friends in.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Got it, I was envisioning it's use as a "Beam me up Scotty" type of escape method.