events - prepare for e-rage.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Psilo

Re: events - prepare for e-rage.

Post by Psilo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Not that it really matters, but I am taking a break from uosa, and the main reason for this, is that during all of the times that I am able to actually play, there are events running and virtually nobody in the game. As a player that doesn't like to hunt, pvp, craft, etc... my enjoyment is almost entirely based on interacting with players around me. I would get home in the evenings during event time and that basically meant no players from an hour before to an hour after the event. Often times another event would follow. The only real time I have to play for any longer duration is Fridays, where events run non-stop. It got to the point where I just quit logging in until there was a player-ran event or staff-ran dungeon raid/monster spawn going on.

Before you say it, no that is not considered "rage quitting" etc... and I do not need to "learn to adapt my playstyle", the game simply became less enjoyable for me because of those reasons.
Your reason for leaving is the same as a few friends of mine from LS.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Psilo wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:Not that it really matters, but I am taking a break from uosa, and the main reason for this, is that during all of the times that I am able to actually play, there are events running and virtually nobody in the game. As a player that doesn't like to hunt, pvp, craft, etc... my enjoyment is almost entirely based on interacting with players around me. I would get home in the evenings during event time and that basically meant no players from an hour before to an hour after the event. Often times another event would follow. The only real time I have to play for any longer duration is Fridays, where events run non-stop. It got to the point where I just quit logging in until there was a player-ran event or staff-ran dungeon raid/monster spawn going on.

Before you say it, no that is not considered "rage quitting" etc... and I do not need to "learn to adapt my playstyle", the game simply became less enjoyable for me because of those reasons.
Your reason for leaving is the same as a few friends of mine from LS.
I hardly play for this same reason
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Sandro wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
Sandro wrote:Yeah but no matter what Tagarr wants, the staff team likes the events and wants to keep them.
That's entirely your opinion on the subject.
That's why they've been here for 3 years and have stayed exactly the same, right?
First, events aren't exactly the same as they were three years ago, much less one. Second, your statement was that the staff team (see also: all of us) want to keep them. That statement is entirely based on opinion.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Sandro wrote: Well of course when you only play the game to steal & grief other players this will happen a lot.

Not that this means you shouldn't be able to play the game this way, but if that's the only reason you play then you're going to find little enjoyment in it when everyone learns how to protect themselves from it.
While I am not agreeing that I did nothing but steal and grief people (in fact, I rarely used the stealing skill). You pretty much summed up my entire point, except that "everyone" did not "learn how to protect themselves", they just migrated over to a secure facet where the game can provide the protection for them. I seem to recall something like that happening at the beginning of UO:R.

Again, that's my opinion, and as a player who specifically watches the players in the game, you cannot tell me that the events do not detract from the actual game part of the server. But, if they are so popular, and everyone enjoys going to them rather than playing Ultima Online, then clearly I guess it's a difference of opinion on how T2A actually was.

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

rofl :lol:

Mayathebee

Post by Mayathebee »

The one thing I've wondered since joining this shard in December, is why do the PVP crowd get something special like those 30+ weekly events while us crafters get nothing? Kinda seem unfair when you think about it. If one type of player get something special that isn't Era accurate, shouldn't the other kind of players also have the possibility to get something out ot Era?

Tagarr

Post by Tagarr »

Mayathebee wrote:The one thing I've wondered since joining this shard in December, is why do the PVP crowd get something special like those 30+ weekly events while us crafters get nothing? Kinda seem unfair when you think about it. If one type of player get something special that isn't Era accurate, shouldn't the other kind of players also have the possibility to get something out ot Era?

Neither should have events.
Anyway i want essence of tag to come to atlantic too, that boy smoked me in legend few months ago, i like his dueling style.
- Bud of Atlantic

<Binky> Tagarr do you guys live in derricks basement?
<Binky> Do you guys ping like 3?

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

both get events!

as for the why, I imagine its an idea problem. Suggest some ideas!

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I have had this idea for a while now, and I think it would solve all of our problems.

Basically there could be a series of scheduled moongates open at each bank. Each one would only be open for a few hours a day. They each lead to a specific event arena where events would run non-stop according to specific genres of play. For instance, taking the green-gate to the craft-a-dome would provide a player with no risk crafter events and silver as a reward. The blue gate would lead to the PvE event center where monster bashes and town invasions would run in a seperate facet. All of these arenas would exit into the Event lobby, where players can talk about the various rewards they have earned or whatever. Once they are there, they can take the pink gate to the reward room and pick out prizes or simply continue on to the brown gate leading to the actual game where they can sell their prizes for gold to buy houses.

Now, since the real world is very unfair as far as house placement goes, there would be a seperate world that would be generated for each player where they could place any house they want. Nobody can place a house in another persons house-zone without their consent. This process requires the placer to be withing 1 tile of the house-zone's owner and a trusted broker. This prevents house-placement griefing.

This system is completely fair for everyone. The griefers, thieves and PK's can stay in the actual UO realm, where they will be with other like-minded players. The crafters and other good-spirited quality members of the server can hang out in the event lobby or travel back and forth through the event lobby to their housing regions to show off their rares and neon bear masks.

You might say "Matron, this would mean that there are no people in the game-world for the griefers to grief? If this system went in, who would you grief?". Well, I am not worried. The beauty of this system is that because the initial event gates to the various events are on a timer, every new player in the shard would have to play in the actual game-world for at least a couple of hours. Since everyone will be happy with all of the custom tailored events, there will be an influx of new players, and thus, always a newbie to PK, grief, houseloot, or scam in the game-world.

To further increase the number of people that these undesirable players can harass, we can simply keep adding new and unique events to the events arena and then posting them on websites like Joinuo or Topshards. The more events we have, the more people there are to grief, and the more everyone is happy!

I hope you consider my idea, because I think it will lead the shard into a new era of UO equality.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I like it as is. Nice drawing though.

Mayathebee

Post by Mayathebee »

I actually never mentionned that crafters should get GM made events. Tournaments and such are good for the PvP and PvM crowds. Us crafters could get something more along the line of BODs as a special attraction to maybe bring in more crafters just like what the tournaments (and games) are doing for the other groups.

But I do agree with Tagarr that we shouldn't have daily automated events happening. I played from 98 to 2000 on OSI (Cheasepeak) and during my time there we never really had that many events. On top of my head I can only remember the Trinsic invasion which happened at the same time as the Vesper and Britain invasion. A player run town having maybe 2 GM made quests and a tournament being held for a special weapon forged from a meteor or something like that. In 2 years, that 1 PVP tournament and a couple of PVM events. (to be fair Trinsic did fall and become a dungeon so that's not really an event)

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Mayathebee wrote:I actually never mentionned that crafters should get GM made events. Tournaments and such are good for the PvP and PvM crowds. Us crafters could get something more along the line of BODs as a special attraction to maybe bring in more crafters just like what the tournaments (and games) are doing for the other groups.

But I do agree with Tagarr that we shouldn't have daily automated events happening. I played from 98 to 2000 on OSI (Cheasepeak) and during my time there we never really had that many events. On top of my head I can only remember the Trinsic invasion which happened at the same time as the Vesper and Britain invasion. A player run town having maybe 2 GM made quests and a tournament being held for a special weapon forged from a meteor or something like that. In 2 years, that 1 PVP tournament and a couple of PVM events. (to be fair Trinsic did fall and become a dungeon so that's not really an event)
bods are not era accurate either >_> like these events and i also played chessy at that time and threw aos and they were a lot of staff /seer /player run things but nothing with out the risk + the shinny reward that's being given out here for not playing actual uo.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

MatronDeWinter wrote:Now, since the real world is very unfair as far as house placement goes
Maybe this is your problem. Nothing in UO is real. Take a chill pill.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Sandro wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
Sandro wrote:Yeah but no matter what Tagarr wants, the staff team likes the events and wants to keep them.
That's entirely your opinion on the subject.
That's why they've been here for 3 years and have stayed exactly the same, right?

If only our jobs could be so black and white =)
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

A debate as old as time itself!