Era Accurate Rares

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Stranger

Era Accurate Rares

Post by Stranger »

Just curious why server birth rares dont spawn accurate on this shard? I remember everyone trying to get the rock at server up, and the full jars that spawning behind that oven you had to grab and move real fast in Ocllo, and the rainbow cloth in ocllo tailor shop. The fruit basket on the table in Yew. Was fun trying to get back in before everyone else at server up.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Jaster

Re: Era Accurate Rares

Post by Jaster »

They spawn, but not at server up ... they spawn randomly, so people can't farm them ... as do a lot of rares out there.

Rainbow cloth spawned here but its a server birth rare and only spawned once. Can't Cut the cloth though, its just a bolt/folded cloth pile

Black&Blue

Post by Black&Blue »

So, regular "Server Up" rares spawn on this shard, every time server comes up in the morning?
IRC: Intrepid_C^V

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

no, they are on random timers, when a rare is picked up, its timer starts, and respawns when timer is up
timers vary in length and are random within a time zone so 16-24 hours example
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Slaine
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Slaine »

interesting, didnt know that.

Server birth rares - I guess when the server was made and the first bunch of people 'in the know' were invited to play for the first time, they were grabbed pretty quick. Does this mean that those first lucky few are now the richest in the game? Or does the love now get spread through the points system? ie all serer birth rares are available through the points system. Never having been loucky enough to have gotton one, I wouldnt be entirely sure what was and what wasnt except perhaps 'A cover chair' I know that was :D and maybe the altar with a carcass spread across it hehe. Man scratching my head to remember now.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

The "Server Birth Rares" were spawned in the world Christmas Night this past Christmas. Was posted on the forums that they were being released into the world, go find them ... thats about it. The expect it to take around a month or so to have them all found ... within about 4 hours, 99% were discovered though.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

announcing that they were being released + releaseing all at once was the reason 4 or 5 players got 90% of em, but live and learn

platypus

Post by platypus »

Ya, I was personally pretty pissed about that as well...it was pretty much catering to the people with no lives outside of UO (who else would be playing UO all night on Christmas). Considering the fact that TW and $C$ got the vast majority of them and this instantly made them both extremely rich guilds (since most server births sold for 100k-1 mil), I hope they're respawned again, but spawned at a rate of like 1-2 rares per day so its not so much of a greedfest like last time.

I have no problem with any of the staff here, its just that if you're gonna spawn dozens of items worth a million gold each, you should obviously plan it out first. Either no announcement should've been made or they should've spaced out the spawns over the course of a month or two.
Last edited by platypus on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senses

Post by Senses »

Having only heard the story and not been around for it, I can understand why people would be pissed. I can only hope a valuable lesson was learned from the ordeal and we won't see something like that happen again.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

platypus wrote:I'm pretty sure whatever GM spawned them (I know it wasn't Derrick), made sure his buddies were online on Christmas night to get em all. I have no problem with any of the staff here, its just that if you're gonna spawn dozens of items worth a million gold each, you should obviously plan it out first. Either no announcement should've been made or they should've spaced out the spawns over the course of a month or two.
If staff would be so corrupt as to schedule the giving of things around the times that their "buddies?!?" are on. I should think they would just go ahead and deliver those items directly to their bankboxes. I assure you this was not the case, this isn't the first time I've heard this accusation and it's really inflammatory towards the entire staff team, not to mention juvenile. Regardless of when the items were released clearly not every player is going to be on. Truth is, that we were so busy for two or three days setting this up that we simply announced it as soon as we were done, with complete disregard for who or how many players happened to be on.

This is not an opening for further discussion on the shard rares releases on Christmas Night, it is a close to any further accusation of wrongdoing.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

scavenger changed the face of uo rare hunting :P

Senses

Post by Senses »

Sorry Derrick, my post wasn't an agreement of nepotism, it was simply an agreement that the original concept of having a scavenger hunt for what would become very valuable items was probably organized improperly. I'm sure you guys did really plan for a great event for players, but having all of them out there during the same small time frame was clearly based on the assumption that they would take forever to collect, when certainly they did not. It would have been nice if right when you guys realized just how fast they were being gobbled up by the same 5 people that the error was corrected, but hey, hindsight is 20/20 and like I said before, I'm sure you guys learned from the error.

Either way, as people quit, move on, or just decide to sell a bit of what they have, the rares will finally reach everyone else and I think they add an interesting part to the economy that I never really got to participate in during the old era.

platypus

Post by platypus »

I edited my post...I shouldn't have said that in reference to who was on at the time. What I meant was, it was planned badly and carried out badly, and instantly made a couple players very rich. I'm sure this was not staffs' intention.

I just hope they are all spawned again at some point and planned more sensibly, so more than 3-4 people get them all.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The rares that was placed were server birth rares. There were no rares placed at the birth of the server. So this was the alternative approach that took place. All of these rares are based on being "unique" unlike spawning rares.

I don't think that this was mismanaged at all. If anything the only problem was the misconception that all of the rares would take a very long time to find. However, this was obviously not the case after it played out. I'm assuming they were all placed manually by Kaivan and not on a spawner since they were "server birth" rares. The timing was probably announced as a Christmas special. I'm sure people would come up with the same excuse if it was announced at a later random date like January 20th or something.

If you look at this issue either way it wouldn't matter what approach was taken. The same sort of "elite" person would be holding these rares even if it wasn't the same person. If this was announced weeks ahead of time people would have simply marked runes for all the possible spots and have them before most other individuals. If they were placed randomly the same people that are dedicated to getting them would be searching for them on a day to day basis. The average joe schmo still would not have obtained these rares...