Clean up UOSA

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Soulbreak

Clean up UOSA

Post by Soulbreak »

OSI had this at one point.
Wonder what people thought about an event based on a clean up UOSA.

Brainstorming here but I know on OSI people bought store bought items to get value from them, I suggest that be removed on this clean up. Possible setting values to items based on Vanq, Power, +tatics mods, ect.

Not even sure what/how rewards could be done.

What made me think of this was I logged onto UO lost lands to help a friend and laughed out loud at the .2 second world save.
DRUSK42 wrote:
Downs wrote:So, who got the goods? All we walked away with was land.
Take a wild guess.
Millerisfuntoplay wrote: Don't worry I will bank everything instead and give house to Ian.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Clean up UOSA

Post by Roser »

I think a major part of our 20 seconds+ save times is due to the amount of logged out players in the world. We have had a "never delete accounts" rule for over 7 years now and I'm willing to bet UOSA has the most logged out chars/accounts ever in free shard history.

A CUB style event was already done on UOSA years ago and it has been said that it will not happen again. Both UOSA and OSI experienced similar things during CUB, the over all item count did not decrease as player were encouraged to horde items they would have trashed otherwise. There was a JoinUO chart that showed how ineffective our CUB emulation was a while back.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is a topic that's been brought up on more than one occasion, and unfortunately, we won't be doing anything like this in the future.

Edit: I don't know where I originally read the quote, but according to someone from OSI, the CUB actually reduced the item count by about 40%. Contextually speaking, the difference between here and OSI servers is almost certainly the fact that on OSI servers, house decay was introduced about 3 months later, which effectively put a cap on the total number of items that could be in houses. This contextual difference is by and large one of the biggest reasons we won't ever be doing something similar again.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Rose is correct as well. Logged out characters make up a large amount of items on the shard. I'd be interested to see how many items are in accounts that have less than 3 hours of gameplay and that haven't logged in for at least 180 days. I bet that's a solid number of purgable items.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Please do this, I need something new to win.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Soulbreak

Post by Soulbreak »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:Rose is correct as well. Logged out characters make up a large amount of items on the shard. I'd be interested to see how many items are in accounts that have less than 3 hours of gameplay and that haven't logged in for at least 180 days. I bet that's a solid number of purgable items.
Didn't realize this. Wow.
DRUSK42 wrote:
Take a wild guess.
Millerisfuntoplay wrote: Don't worry I will bank everything instead and give house to Ian.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:Rose is correct as well. Logged out characters make up a large amount of items on the shard. I'd be interested to see how many items are in accounts that have less than 3 hours of gameplay and that haven't logged in for at least 180 days. I bet that's a solid number of purgable items.
Solution is simple. Use an active & inactive database file (binary in the case of RunUO). World saves would only be saving to the active file. Inactive accounts would no longer need to save since they would be stored safely and efficiently away in the inactive file. When an inactive account logs in changing back to active status the data gets purged from the inactive file when saved back to the active file. This would cut world saves down significantly, probably in half or even more.

azheman
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by azheman »

delete vega
problem solved

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

One does not simply "delete" Vega.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Soulbreak

Post by Soulbreak »

azheman wrote:delete vega
problem solved
Azheman, with your Israeli connections, I am sure you could "delete" vega.
DRUSK42 wrote:
Take a wild guess.

Lamer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lamer »

faust made a really smart suggestion in my whining thread about world saves

"Update the world serialization/deserialization process based on inactivity. Save all inactive data in a separate secondary binary file from the primary. When an inactive account attempts to log in, retrieve that data from the inactive secondary file and move it back to the primary file erasing it from the secondary. World saves would be cut drastically. "