The Definition of Unattended Resource Gathering

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Read post first.

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 98

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: The Definition of Unattended Resource Gathering

Post by RoadKill »

I don't care if you have 3 accounts running with 3 monitors. You aren't active on all 3 accounts at once, therefore you are AFK on them.

If you slam your keyboard, words are only going to spurt out on 1 of those UO clients.

You can argue all you want that you are not away from your keyboard, but that's not what "AFK" means in UO. I'm technically AFK now, as I type this, at my keyboard, while macroing in UO.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

this is crazy this is a poll about unattended resource gathering and there seem to be more posts in here trying to "bash" the op...the guy who posted this no matter how loved or hated should be able to express his ideas and if you dont like the idea then say so and say why, on the other hand if you dont like the poster and just want to oppose him then do so elsewhere...

thx

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

Vlastslav wrote:Everyone on this shard is a powergamer, has fully build multiple 7xs and full crafters/gatherers. Who cares hemp.
Sure, and we're all millionaires with castles, too. Get a grip, Vlast. Everyone on this shard is NOT a powergamer, everyone does NOT run 3 accts on 2 computers at the same time, and everyone does NOT play just to PvP with crafting as an afterthought. You SHOULD care.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Well I dont care, Boo hoo.

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

Vlastslav wrote:Well I dont care, Boo hoo.
Yeah, I think we figured that out already. Maybe you'll care more if it gets changed.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

If it gets changed ill just farm on my tamer... which ive already posted how I got GM... to make money. I DONT CARE.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Vlastslav wrote:If it gets changed ill just farm on my tamer... which ive already posted how I got GM... to make money. I DONT CARE.
Why are you taking this as a personal attack and getting so upset? This is a proposed change for accuracy, no one cares about you. You've made your vote, if you have nothing decent to add to this discussion then please stop cluttering it.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Senses

Post by Senses »

Attended yet actually unattended resource gathering is a huge problem on this shard. It ruins the economy, creates fake dummy players that are basically unresponsive to anything but the occasional GM check, and creates the perception of a fully populated shard that once discovered, just adds to a new person's dissatisfaction of what's actually going on here. But, what do you expect when you allow people to have 3 accounts and run all 3 at once?

There is the nature of the mob here at UOSA to constantly attack the symptons of large problems rather than the real causes. What is the purpose of letting people run 3 accounts at the same time if not to allow them to gather on one and play the game on the other? Until multiple accounts is addressed, all the arguing about what is done with multiple accounts is really a waste of time because isn't it pretty clear that noone is Unattended Pvping? If we can't even think of something that we approve about multiple accounts, then why even bother allowing it. Until then, people should be able to do whatever they want when they legally have all 3 windows open at the same time.

Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I voted yes, the only char i have right now is a blacksmith/miner

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

son wrote:"Resource Gathering" has to be more specifically defined by the administration.

Also it needs to be stated if you are allowed to play more than 3 characters at any one time. Currently there seems to be no limit.

As they stand now, what Vlad did is perfectly legal. It is called powergaming.
You are considered to be gathering resources whenever you extract an object/resources from the world (ore,lumber,wool,fish,etc) whether you keep it or not.
*There is a three account limit on Second Age.
It's the first rule on the rules page. All extra accounts discovered are banned, I realize some people might be getting away with this but keep in mind that we are constantly looking into this and if you are caught you will not be able to retrieve any characters on banned accounts.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

I think I'm going to make a guide to razor scripted resource gathering so that everyone can get in on the fun!!!! Huray ingots for everyone!!!! Woot 3 gp ingots Im In Heaven!

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

I 100% agree with Hemperor. When I first found this shard, I was ecstatic. Finally, a place dedicated to recreating the glory days of UO. Plus, I can gain skill while sleeping? Awesome!

Since I've been here (33 days), I've made at least 15 characters, trying to find the best combo of skills, as well as make macros for all of them. I have macro'd two skills to GM so far, one on Pristiq and one on Vyvanse. The feeling it's left me is one of hollowness and a lack of pride.

The topic of this thread is whether macro'd resource gathering should be outlawed (unattended and attended resource gathering become the same when using a macro, as you are still not doing any work. The only difference is that you may be doing other tasks with the former).

I believe that this should not be allowed. The whole point of the Second Age of UO was the economy and player interaction. Hard work was the cornerstone of the era, as it gave the players a sense of pride in their work. When you macro resource gathering, you are inflating the economy. More resources = more macro'ing crafters = higher skills = better products = higher prices = richer crafters & stronger warriors = easier gold farming.

In UO, just as in a real society, you only deserve what you have worked for, whatever that work may be (thieving, PKing, crafting, taming, hunting).

I guess I've gone on a tangent involving macro'ing in general (which I have vehemently opposed for the last few days now), but, yea...

I agree with Hemp.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I believe that this should not be allowed. The whole point of the Second Age of UO was the economy and player interaction. Hard work was the cornerstone of the era, as it gave the players a sense of pride in their work. When you macro resource gathering, you are inflating the economy. More resources = more macro'ing crafters = higher skills = better products = higher prices = richer crafters & stronger warriors = easier gold farming.

In UO, just as in a real society, you only deserve what you have worked for, whatever that work may be (thieving, PKing, crafting, taming, hunting).
Well said, this is a point I failed to try and get across to some of the complainers such as Taboo and others, it really is an issue that goes deep.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

I just don't like judging people's gaming techniques. You are just upset a small minority found a way to make quick cash. Good for them! You are being a uo nazi hemporer.

Also, all these little noobs running around probably don't even notice things like that..

until you bring it up.
Last edited by Taboo on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Taboo wrote:I just don't like judging people's gaming techniques. You are just upset a small minority found a way to make quick cash. Good for them! You are being a uo nazi hemporer.
Yes 73% [ 16 ] x
No 27% [ 6 ]

But you're right, I am the only one going out here trying to stop this inaccurate, exploit that is hurting the shard.

I'm sorry.