New Resource

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

New Resource

Post by Derrick »

I just happened to stumble upon this archived site today, it looks like a treasure trove of info to me, even though a lot of pages are missing:
http://web.archive.org/web/199902181748 ... m/warfare/

Here's some good pages that I've found within:
http://web.archive.org/web/200001190410 ... llnews.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/200008152322 ... brimstone/
http://web.archive.org/web/200006101338 ... arhall.htm

This page is mostly broken links, but references "Mattock's Helpful Hints", which Faust found this morning and is a basis for a change to wrestling speed.
http://web.archive.org/web/200006040423 ... rategy.htm
Which are likely reproduced verbatim here (the stratics site was converted to shtml sometime after 2000):
http://web.archive.org/web/200103111520 ... tock.shtml (it's on stratics modern site too)

I'm posting this in the hopes that someone may glean something interesting and conclusive from this. I find the following statement very interesting, although it's not at all substantiated:
"The kryss does piercing damage and the katana does slashing damage. Armor reacts to the different types of damage differently"

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: New Resource

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Some intresting material. I look forward to having the time to read it all.

One intresting thing caught my attention, it's stated in there that purple potions (should) have no delay between uses, as they talk about casting para and tossing a few at someones feet so they get hit by a bunch.

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Some intresting material. I look forward to having the time to read it all.

One intresting thing caught my attention, it's stated in there that purple potions (should) have no delay between uses, as they talk about casting para and tossing a few at someones feet so they get hit by a bunch.

I just found a new way to gank, since my pvp skills are far from leet
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

purple potions did have no delay between uses you are 100% correct however as soon as uoa became a popular program and this was abused by many players a delay went in this is deffently not something we should add with people perfectly timeing macros in razor it would be a newb fest.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Finesse wrote:purple potions did have no delay between uses you are 100% correct however as soon as uoa became a popular program and this was abused by many players a delay went in this is deffently not something we should add with people perfectly timeing macros in razor it would be a newb fest.
Bring on the Newb-Fest!

Faust

Post by Faust »

MatronDeWinter wrote: Some intresting material. I look forward to having the time to read it all.

This wasn't talking about explosion potions not having a delay. The reason this tactic would work is because when you toss one and than another the first one would make the rest of the potions blow up without waiting their delay. Purple pots blowing up other purples was fixed in mid to late '98.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I get what your saying there, but no.

I distinctly remember people tossing potions at such a rapid pace, it was ridiculous. I know for sure that during UO:R you could toss pots at any rate of fire, so at where is the patch-note about changing from a delay to no delay for UO:R?

Faust

Post by Faust »

The 3 second timer exists on the demo.

I don't ever recall a point in time when a timer didn't exist for purple pots...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The action delay certainly applies to purple pots as just tested in the demo, and I would assume it will be the same on current uo.

This should likely replace the current independent delay that is affixed to exp pots.

There may be some confusion in this thread as to whether the "delay" in discussion is the use delay or the explode delay. Above I am referencing the use delay, or time interval at which they can be thrown.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Derrick wrote:The action delay certainly applies to purple pots as just tested in the demo, and I would assume it will be the same on current uo.

This should likely replace the current independent delay that is affixed to exp pots.

There may be some confusion in this thread as to whether the "delay" in discussion is the use delay or the explode delay. Above I am referencing the use delay, or time interval at which they can be thrown.
In current OSI uo, there is nothing except the throttled item-use delay on uses of purple potions. It was this was from the very beginning of UO:R as far as I know, I never really used them in T2A becuase they always seemed to do minimal damage then. I am unsure about T2A, I think that there would certainly be a patch note mentioning when the change took place, that is what I was getting at.

I am sure someone here remembers clicking a pot, pressing esc, clicking a pot, pressing escape, several times (even via a macro) and then running into a crowd of people. boom

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

MatronDeWinter wrote:In current OSI uo, there is nothing except the throttled item-use delay on uses of purple potions. It was this was from the very beginning of UO:R as far as I know, I never really used them in T2A becuase they always seemed to do minimal damage then. I am unsure about T2A, I think that there would certainly be a patch note mentioning when the change took place, that is what I was getting at.
That's what I'm saying too. This change has been implemented on test center.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Derrick wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:In current OSI uo, there is nothing except the throttled item-use delay on uses of purple potions. It was this was from the very beginning of UO:R as far as I know, I never really used them in T2A becuase they always seemed to do minimal damage then. I am unsure about T2A, I think that there would certainly be a patch note mentioning when the change took place, that is what I was getting at.
That's what I'm saying too. This change has been implemented on test center.
Oh yea! Thats what I'm talking about :o

Many thanks

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Vortexes usually kill in 4-5 hits.
:)
They used to do insane damage. If an ev cursed someone who didn't have a G Str potion, and the curse put them overweight, they were pretty much dead. Usually the person had a very hard time casting a bless, drinking a refresh, and getting away to heal.

Also, blade spirits used to hit about twice as fast as they do here, but I'm still looking for documentation on that one..

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Derrick wrote:I'm posting this in the hopes that someone may glean something interesting and conclusive from this. I find the following statement very interesting, although it's not at all substantiated:
"The kryss does piercing damage and the katana does slashing damage. Armor reacts to the different types of damage differently"
There used to be four different damage types: physical, armor piercing, fire, and energy.
I think the author didn't know much about this whole system at the time, much like myself.

I dug up an old thread discussing this topic a bit..
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 514#p20514

Personally, I agree that the armor piercing damage is the missing link between UOSA fencing and T2A fencing. Also, I do not believe that all fencing weapons pierced armor. The best fencing weapons, by far, back in T2A were: kryss, war fork, short spear, and long spear.. 1x faster one handed, 1x slower one handed, 1x faster two handed, and 1x slower two handed.

I know this might sound weird, but bare with me.

In AoS when the Armor Ignore special blow was implemented, it did 90% of the damage from the hit, but completely bypassed the armor. If you tried to take the AoS Armor Ignore rules and assumed it was the same for the T2A armor piercing, the damage of all the fencing weapons that did pierce armor would be 90% of what it is now.

When you play with an adjustment as drastic as ignoring armor, you could almost guarantee that they'd have to mess with fencing weapons base damages(or percentages as they did in AoS).

With that said, I think that some interesting information would be "What happened to the base damage of the fencing weapons that did pierce armor when they 'balanced' the combat?"

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Modifiers were removed from the damage tables in early 98. It is possible that the modifiers were added in later on, but unfortunately there is no patch note which denotes that change, and there is no information that would subsequently tell us how that damage was modified. Here is the patch note that mentions the change:
1/13/98 wrote:Modifiers to damage based on armor type worn will be removed. Currently, differing attack types cause differing amounts of damage based on what sort of armor they hit. There is an error in this which has resulted in a particular outfit giving unnaturally superb protection, so we are removing the modifiers.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org