Thoughts on the latest Patch

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Jiggo

Re: Thoughts on the latest Patch

Post by Jiggo »

i agree that the current delay on spell recovery is too long... the .75 seemed perfect, if not a tad too slow. I believe it was probably .5, but this 1 second renders mages not only useless vs other chars, but useless vs themselves. While not a common template, the hide/stealth pk was a template during the era, and that would not be a useful character by any means with this current system.

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

Jiggo wrote:i agree that the current delay on spell recovery is too long... the .75 seemed perfect, if not a tad too slow. I believe it was probably .5, but this 1 second renders mages not only useless vs other chars, but useless vs themselves. While not a common template, the hide/stealth pk was a template during the era, and that would not be a useful character by any means with this current system.

agreed.

and the action que never exited liek this on t2a.

you never had to wait after disarming a weapon to drink a pot.

you did not have to wait to disarm your weapon after double clicking someone to atk (same as atk last) like you do here, since both count as an action.

so if you atk last, to swing on command, and then want to disarm and target spell, you can't.
this feature did not exist on t2a.

i don't like the new pvp for group fighting. its like if you try and do anything on the fly you risk getting qued out.

i died earlier because my halberad kept queing when i hit my pot macro. it sucked to log on and fight in a brand new system that i didn't even know had been implemented yet. :(

im going to take a break for awhile until things get more set.

the pvp has gone thro so many changes in the few months ive been here that im getting some de ja vu, ala divinity last year. and i liked the system when i got here, which was my #1 incentive to stick around, and it feels like its changed so much and i find myself not enjoying it anymore.

ill be back when a permanent system has been decided on to see if its something that keeps my interest.

good luck!

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

accualy i think the arm delay is acurate

what people need to realise is its the recast timer that needs to be slightly speeded up and and only slightly speeded up [the recast timer is the one where your disturbed during casting] the timer if you cast a spell and then try to force out another one without fastcasting is great that does not need to change what so ever it clearly seperates levels of pvper and if the recast timer [if disturbed timer] is lowered the fast cast timer must be lowered to 1.5 otherwise it defeats the purpose and you get massive imballance.

i beleive the fast swing system is changeing slightly being a little faster it will be even better i guess.

I ALSO hate people who moan who didnt test these systems

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

Finesse wrote:accualy i think the arm delay is acurate

what people need to realise is its the recast timer that needs to be slightly speeded up and and only slightly speeded up [the recast timer is the one where your disturbed during casting] the timer if you cast a spell and then try to force out another one without fastcasting is great that does not need to change what so ever it clearly seperates levels of pvper and if the recast timer [if disturbed timer] is lowered the fast cast timer must be lowered to 1.5 otherwise it defeats the purpose and you get massive imballance.

i beleive the fast swing system is changeing slightly being a little faster it will be even better i guess.

I ALSO hate people who moan who didnt test these systems
i tested the change, and said that i didn't like them already, i lag there so its not something i can accurately get a feel for anyways.

regardless. im not interested in playing a server that changes every week. people say adapt, but thats not why im playing a t2a server.

if i wanted to adapt i would have stayed on osi.

im taking a break until things are worked out, if that never happens, then it never does. if it happens soon then i will probably be back on board with it. i dont feel there can be a competitive pvp environment in a constantly changing system and thats one of my main concerns.

time2a

Post by time2a »

i have to agree with tron. i just wana pvp and its like every time i get use to pvpin something new coems out defeating a lot of practice time. but oh well just practice more w/e right, well time for that is now gone. My and fellow mates will be checkin boards for changes but rly until its set in ground we wont be aroundmuch unless for tournies. Thanks guys

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I personally don't see a problem with anything on live. It's very easy to see that people on this server are very 1 dimensional when it comes to fighting. Before this patch, the choice of spells was an ebolt, a debuff, harm, maybe a lightning, mini heal and maybe gh. Then add in the abuse of the halberd over and over.

Since the introduction of the patch, people are fed up with it because they are trying to use the same strategy when killing someone. It is possible, but IMO not the best choice. I have see many people attempting combos, using poison vs mages, the curse spell, fireball, faking combos .... that is more t2a's style of fighting. I've seen Finesse using a fencer mage effectively, I've seen Adonis use an archer mage effectively. It has opened up the ability to use different templates based on your play style. Many strategy's speak of how good fencing was, how good archery was. You'd think that somewhere it would speak of the halberd being the weapon of choice for any mage if it was abused so much during t2a.

http://web.archive.org/web/200005261230 ... llnews.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200106262250 ... tock.shtml

http://web.archive.org/web/200105021506 ... mage.shtml

http://web.archive.org/web/200106262339 ... sman.shtml

"Halberd: its a heavy damage weapon but very slow. It can be defeated by a fighter with a fast but moderately damaging weapon with a decent parrying skill." - Lord Hades

http://web.archive.org/web/200107090052 ... ters.shtml

How come nothing in there looks like the fighting we've had prior to this patch? and no where does it talk about abusing hally swings. If anything it talks about used a fast fencing weapon to disrupt mages ....

Learn to adapt to a system that finally doesn't require you involve spamming your weapon, or small spells. Open your eyes up to big combos creativity and you will see the light ...

Pro

Post by Pro »

can we just pick one system and stick with it.

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

Markmosthandsome wrote:can we just pick one system and stick with it.

agreed.

and loops, i personally liked the pvp here. an atk last throttle would have been a fine enough fix for me.

but lets humor you, and say were opening up new combos. thats fun too.

but whats the need for the action delay?

unequip to drink pots?

if i atk last, i cant drop my weapon for another second, then i cant target my spell right after.

it seems fine for 1v1. you can adjust to it.

but for group fighting i cant see it being anything but a huge dexer buff and a huge mage nerf.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Tronica wrote: but for group fighting i cant see it being anything but a huge dexer buff and a huge mage nerf.
Group fighting ...

Mage = ability to cross heal and synch on command
Dexer = run and chase, can't cross heal effectively, can't synch on command

I know you know that ...

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

small group fighting, ill take 2 dexers and 1 mage atm

seriously

- delays on pots and a stam based swing timer means im constantly chugging cure (dp) and refresh, and all the while im waiting out 1 second cues.

ive already retired my mage.

its monkey time. - until i die at least :)

then back to the waiting game.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

If that's your preference of play, so be it. Nothing wrong with what you choose. That is part of old school UO. There is no "template of the month" ... choice of what you want to play bc they are all effective.

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

Jaster wrote:If that's your preference of play, so be it. Nothing wrong with what you choose. That is part of old school UO. There is no "template of the month" ... choice of what you want to play bc they are all effective.

im not playing a dexer becasue i prefer too. im playing a dexer because i do not want to play a mage right now.

wasn't like that in t2a.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

It is your choice to not play your mage is my point. Just because you aren't playing it doesn't mean its ineffective. Infact, its just as effective, if not more effective now.

Under the system we have, if you are a player that knows what they are doing and is "skilled" in pvp'd, you will kill someone who is not very aware or "skilled" quite quickly.

The only fights that will last long will be those vs another "skilled" player [which has happened under any rule set in UO history]

A geared dexer will most likely kill a mage 1v1 that trys to fight them using previous system tactics [ hally spam, small spells instead of big combos and burst damage]

As I said in my prior post ... players are 1 dimensional on this server and fail to look outside the box at different ways to play. They depend solely on 1 tactic and when it isn't offered to them, they crumble.

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

You're saying were one dimensional but maybe the old system was better. Or the new one is flawed.

The same thing could be said about the old system if an atk last throttle had been put in, along with a working disrupt timer reagarding the skilled players killing unskilled players quickly.

But instead we've changed a ton of stuff to fix a system that most people liked, and felt better to many.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

The old system was practically AoS 2/6 casting with the addition of 2 second hally hits and insta hit ...

You may have enjoyed it more because its a more recent version of UO to some extent and bc it allowed for faster casting of spells overall, but that doesn't make it better. It just makes it different. It's a matter of opinion on what you enjoy. The thing is, the current system is a much more accurate representation of t2a than any prior system. There hasn't been a system like this since 99 and no one is use to it. A lot of people are caught up in the ipy, metro, div, hybrid, dfi, and post t2a play style and are not ready to adapt ... maybe because they don't want to, or maybe because they can't. The thing is, this is a t2a accurate server and its going to move in that direction. If you feel that it is not a direction that you want to take, that is up to you.

Some people like the changes, some do not. If you want to play uo on the server, you are gonna have to accept them even if you don't like them, or prove that they are incorrect.