Thoughts on the latest Patch

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Thoughts on the latest Patch

Post by Fwerp »

I just think the interrupt delay of 1.0 seconds is probably .25 seconds or .50 seconds too long. I definitely do not remember being essentially frozen when I had a spell interrupted; it was an advantage to disrupt your opponent, but it wasn't the whole ball game...

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Thoughts on the latest Patch

Post by Fwerp »

Also, dexxers were already seeming overpowered with the introduction of the original recast delay on live UOSA. I can only imagine how much havoc they're going to wreak =\. (And probably an indication that the delays are not entirely accurate).

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Fwerp wrote:Also, dexxers were already seeming overpowered with the introduction of the original recast delay on live UOSA. I can only imagine how much havoc they're going to wreak =\. (And probably an indication that the delays are not entirely accurate).
I'm sorry, but you have to keep in mind that there were townies with no resist and the rare dexxer with good resist. An easy dirtnap dexxer was due largely to a townie out of town with little resist.

I can certainly tell you that a dexxer on OSI with sufficent resist and pvp skill was a serious threat and often ened with the mage down for the count 1v1.

So when going back on memory, one needs to keep that in prospective.

Resist was the chief factor in the surviability of a dexxer, just like another mage. And just because a majority of dexxers lacked resist doens't justify trying a nerf to the system to make dexxers less powerful on UOSA.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

On OSI, there were plenty of 7x dexers. Atlantic had many that were well known, but I promise you, even with the expensive equipment that they wielded, they were not favored against a "good" mage.

Also, resist has virtually nothing to do with the apparent dominance of dexers at the moment on live UOSA. I invite you to fight ChoppmanX on a mage. His resist will not be a factor in the fight -- at all.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

i do also agree it is a little high at the moment but if you do slightly tweak it dont change it drasticly to make it unfair on dexers this system is clearly alot better and keep in mind you cannot lower recast without lowering fast cast.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

oh and karrug is kinda right i was considered a very good mage on osi and especially on drachenfels where i pinged very well pre uor and there was always a few dexers that i strugled verus and 1 or 2 that completely dominated me aka dobermann and BFG.

Faust

Post by Faust »

If you go 0.25 seconds quicker it would go back to where we started on the original shard that being 0.75 for both recovery delays.

Colisseus

Post by Colisseus »

Faust wrote:If you go 0.25 seconds quicker it would go back to where we started on the original shard that being 0.75 for both recovery delays.
Where's the evidence that says it should be higher...or that it exists at all?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Colisseus wrote:
Faust wrote:If you go 0.25 seconds quicker it would go back to where we started on the original shard that being 0.75 for both recovery delays.
Where's the evidence that says it should be higher...or that it exists at all?
There's a complete lack of evidence either way. We've got some leads on finding that information, but currently we're in the dark on that.

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vlastslav »

Fwerp wrote: Atlantic had many that were well known, but I promise you, even with the expensive equipment that they wielded, they were not favored against a "good" mage.

Melee is the counter to mages. They are always favored to win because the mage has so many handicaps, while the melee's is only an aid timer. You told me the other day that Atlantic didnt even have med macers, which is hands down the most powerful t2a template. I can only assume the melee in 99 on Atlantic was not on par with some of the players on todays freeshards, which in turn would give the illusion of tank mage superiority. Most freeshards (div, hyrbird, ipy, metro) will do slight changes to increase the effeciveness of tank mage playability, IE raise spell calulcator mins, raise halby min damage, make every spell 100% interupt etc etc. Fortunetly this is not so on UOSA, so tank mages are actually what they were game mechanic wise, and less what they were from peoples memory. Whether the inter. delay is .5 .75 or 1 sec, dexxers will always have the upper hand on a proper t2a server. Crying always ensues, hence the origin of calling dexxers "skillless"

Faust

Post by Faust »

The patch that introduced the recovery delay was in late '98...
Server update Nov 23 1998 10:59AM

EXPLOITS
Numerous loopholes used by third-party programs will be corrected. As we have stated before, we intend to continue moving aggressively to prevent these programs from having any utility. We don't wish to describe all of the fixes we made, so that exploiters have as little warning as possible, but one change in particular merits notice.
The "Fast last-target spellcasting" exploit will be corrected. This involved placing a small skill delay after completion of casting.
However, the value of this delay... There is no evidence to suggest what it was at all. This was the whole problem installing this patch. Derrick wanted to get a general consensus on what it may have actually been from the players. At least that was my assumption behind the lengthy test. I don't think the delay should have changed from 0.75 based on those facts alone. A delay of 0.75 is the default value in the RunUO code. Where the delay sits right now being at 1 second is just way too long...

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

we should have only changed the interuption delays.

ebolt if you didnt wrestle loaded halberd swing period. this patch is very disappointing.

it took so long to get the halberd swing correct and now its basically not accurate again.

time2a

Post by time2a »

mmm im just newb but from what i think is with this stam change obviously the 100 100 25 get up is gone unless u pack so many god damn refreshes to hit each time unless u want to wait like ten seconds. i bet half the hally mages will be macer mages now destroying your stam so where ull hit like every 9 seconds :/. Any insight from someone on how to counter this patch and still make the hally mage affective?

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

We had med macers during UOR on atlantic, not during t2a. I also played Great Lakes and Sonoma, both as a warrior character. Are you seriously contending that game mechanics were such that mages were not dominant over dexers during t2a?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Fwerp wrote:We had med macers during UOR on atlantic, not during t2a. I also played Great Lakes and Sonoma, both as a warrior character. Are you seriously contending that game mechanics were such that mages were not dominant over dexers during t2a?
I absolutely state that with resist, a good dexxer dropped most mages 1v1 on 1999 OSI for many factors.

As i've said, the major factor on OSI was resist but also use of potions, sometimes parry, when you started the bandage timer and PvP tactics. Most mages on OSi were lazy anyway.

Always using the same spell combo they tried on dungeon crawling low resist warriors or townies out of town. If you survived the mana dump it was usually no contest, that mage was going to go down if they didn't run away or get a recall off some how.