Daily Rares & Accuracy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Daily Rares & Accuracy

Post by Mirage »

valheru wrote:
Daltrey wrote:Isn't rares collecting supposed to reward patience and persistence? If you are the one attempting to find these newly-hidden rares, until you find one, you are making zero gold - and if the rares are hidden the way that I hope they will be, it will be a long time before anyone makes any money at it.

I don't really think that not having the patience or persistence to hunt is a valid reason for not wanting the rares to be re-hidden. In fact, in my opinion, this is one area in which era accuracy should continue to be bent a little, because the thrill of looking for and finding well-hidden items would be a good component of a compelling endgame to keep veteran players on this shard, without (again, in my opinion) changing the T2A feel in any way.

Just my opinion once again, but if it were me, I'd be wicked about it. I'd hide everything in non-OSI locations. I'd change the spawn times, turn the spawns on and off, etc. Rares would be truly rare, and the hunters would have a great time looking for them.
I know a few people on this shard that can cover the ENTIRE shard (every building/town, every item location) in a few days. They have all the tiems on scavange, and run around till they are picked up. That person will then know the new locations, and have a monopoly.
Then they spawn at another random place at another random time.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

Implementing server up rares is the silliest thing i've ever heard. This will create a ridiculous monopoly for early risers, and make it impossible for those who work the night shift to get them.

The system that is in now makes it perfect for anyone to grab the rares (none are "on the dot" timers). Many of my rare locations I found because I was in the right place at the right time, and this is when other people knew a relavent time frame the rare would spawn; I was just determined.

If you put all the rares on server up, you will just have a whole bunch of people whining how one or two people log in at server up and get them all, and how unfair it is. There needs to be some aspect of challenge and dedication to obtain rares.

If this shard goes 110% accurate in all aspects, well then it's just a 12 year old game and people will drop off like flies, our community will go kapoot.

I can see implementing a few daily rares at server up, but all would destroy the rares market.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Flash nothing personal but how many times have you given me "Only I know when it spawns" or "Only I know WHERE it spawns". It's been quite a few times, server up spawning isn't the way to go either. Random locations at random times would be the best way to go about it. This way early birds and night owls would have a shot at getting any rare at any time in the day. As it is now a few select people have a hold on most of the rares. Most of the names are the ones that are against a rares change.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We will probably do a mix of both. We have many OSI accurate rares and locations, and others are completely unique here. We likely won't comment on what the final system is as Kavain stated above, but the input is very appreciated and will be part of the new system.

Senses

Post by Senses »

I would also advise, that any new system be phased in slowly rather than overnight. With the christmas mega rare fiasco in mind, if one person finds a single new rare in a new location, they could then pick that particular hour to scour the server for every single other new rare they could find before anyone else has even realized there is a change. This may seem fair to some, but the concept of old and new rares slowly being hidden like easter eggs over the course of a couple months would achieve far more of the purpose of the change in the first place. Thats my 2 cents anyways, if your going to bother to change it, try to remember exactly what it is your are trying to change in the first place.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Senses wrote:I would also advise, that any new system be phased in slowly rather than overnight. With the christmas mega rare fiasco in mind, if one person finds a single new rare in a new location, they could then pick that particular hour to scour the server for every single other new rare they could find before anyone else has even realized there is a change. This may seem fair to some, but the concept of old and new rares slowly being hidden like easter eggs over the course of a couple months would achieve far more of the purpose of the change in the first place. Thats my 2 cents anyways, if your going to bother to change it, try to remember exactly what it is your are trying to change in the first place.
I agree; although I also don't want to indicate to anyone that we are presently hiding anything so as to initiate a scouring spree prematurely.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

Mirage wrote:Flash nothing personal but how many times have you given me "Only I know when it spawns" or "Only I know WHERE it spawns". It's been quite a few times, server up spawning isn't the way to go either. Random locations at random times would be the best way to go about it. This way early birds and night owls would have a shot at getting any rare at any time in the day. As it is now a few select people have a hold on most of the rares. Most of the names are the ones that are against a rares change.
Well that's ridiculous, there's not a rare location I own that SOMEONE else doesn't know about. Like I said, nothing spawns on the dot. If you picked it up last, you have an IDEA when things spawn, but only within maybe 3-4 days? for big rares, that is.

I was also wicked dedicated, doing 12 + runs a day, thats why I got alot of them. If you did the same, you'd be just as lucrative - I do need to sleep.

As for me telling you i know when and where - that was my way of discouraging you from looking. This is my business, you know. I was told that by other rare collectors and i still got the skull candle, damaged books, etc from them. Just be persistent, i had to mark about 9 locations and check for 3 months till i got those books. I didn't just fall into these locations and monopolize.. I ALWAYS miss spawns to other collectors.

Something I do, however support, is moving alot of the locations/retiring some and adding others.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Senses

Post by Senses »

So you finally got the books? :P I have to say those were always my favorite rare because I had no idea that they actually spawned there. I just showed up and tada, im a damaged book owner

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

I think people are forgetting that hunting daily rares on OSI wasn't about wandering the land hoping for a lucky find. Nor was it about knowing the secret rares locations and recalling round them 10 times a day.

It was about logging in as fast as you could at server up and grabbing the rare before anyone else could. Then you had to bank it as fast as possible before you were pked or stolen from. This is an activity that existed in era and it should exist in the same way here (because our shards watch word is accuracy). I see no reason why the spots should be changed, all the rares hunters knew them then and will know them now. Having ultra secret spots actually creates less competition and more chance that all the rares are got by a select few.

I have no problem with having shard specific rares spawning in other locations on random timers but the OSI rares we all know about should spawn in an era accurate manner. How having daily rares spawn correctly will affect rares prices is anyones guess. It could be that prices fall because they are easy to get. It could also turn out that a few people get the lions share and then price will be up to them to dictate. It doesn't really matter. Derreck has made many controvesial changes in the name of accuracy, time and time again the doommongers and naysayers have been proven wrong and the shard seems to be doing fine to this day. The worst case scenario is we all have a few more nice items to decorate our houses with...

Pro

Post by Pro »

simple solution put the rares on a timer of 12/24/48 hours so that people know and they become public knowledge etc

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Speaking or rares I got a darker piece of leather I cannot combine with any other pieces nor could I use it in crafting. Yet it says a piece of leather, nothing special. Is it rare or am I missing something?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Items of different hues will not stack, nor can items of different hue materials be used to create a single item. Likey you cannot craft from it because nothing can be created from a single piece of leather. Leather items however don't retain the hue of the material such as cloth items do.

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

ArchaicSubrosa wrote:Speaking or rares I got a darker piece of leather I cannot combine with any other pieces nor could I use it in crafting. Yet it says a piece of leather, nothing special. Is it rare or am I missing something?

Came from a cut up pair of shoes. Not rare at all.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

http://www.geocities.com/eleonardouo/dailies2.html
Updated 03-02-01 (Prices and New Items)

I found this yesterday while trying to confirm my recollection of semi rares spawning locations. I know most of the dailys are here, i thought this might be of use if or hopefully when semi rares are fully implemented here.

I used to do alot of rares buisness from my vendor on Europa and this is accurate to T2A as far as i can remmember, with the exception of the stone statues, glacial staffs & virtue weapons. It also has the coloured sandal spawns, i know there was some dispute re: green & red here, this appears to solve that also.

Im aware that the last update is a year into UO:R but i dont think that makes a diffrence here tbh, those spawns are T2A accurate as not a great deal was added/changed rares wise in UO:R, bar a few spawns being swithed off afaik.
?

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Most of those semi-rares are here. You can get them by lockpicking the chests inside the vendor shops in town.