Cartography help pls

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Ransom

Cartography help pls

Post by Ransom »

hey was just wondering if someone knows how to macro carty and wouldnt mind sharing lol

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Cartography help pls

Post by nightshark »

Cart is not difficulty based so it doesn't matter which type of map you make, you'll get the same gains.

Make a razor macro that does the following:

Useskill cartography
Wait 0.5s (or wait for menu)
Select option (whichever map you want to make)
Wait 10s
(loop)

say you buy 120 maps each time, you will have to come back to the keyboard and buy new maps every 21 minutes.

To afk the macro you need to incorporate for loops with a buy/sell agent.

I personally do it like this:
Set up a buy agent to buy xx amount of maps. I do it with 20 maps at a time.

Buy agent: 20 blank maps (it will buy the first map in the list, which if in stock, are blank maps. however it will buy ANY TYPE OF MAP if there are no blank maps in stock - ruining your macro.

Sell agent: sell 5 maps

Before you start the macro, set your character to autofollow the NPC selling maps, and make sure you have gold in your pack to buy new maps. The buy agent will not buy any new maps if you already have them in your pack, so it's best to start with 20 blank maps.
--------------------------------------------------------
Macro:
For (1 to 20) //20 maps
Useskill Cartography
Wait 0.5s
Choose Option (map you want to make - doesnt matter)
wait 10s
endfor

for (1 to 4) //sell 4 times, 5 maps each time = 20 maps
[vendor name] sell //use the vendor name, as this will make your character avoid attempting to sell to the wrong npc
wait 1s
endfor

[vendor name] buy //buys another 20 maps

It is possible to completely afk this macro, however it works better at high levels and it can fail at any time due to maps running out and your macro will start buying all the pre-drawn maps on the vendor. Also you need gold on your person to afk the macro, and thieves will try to grief you by stealing the gold.

The way it works is because every time you sell a drawn map, the NPC will stock 1 more blank map. This is also why it works better at high levels, as when your cart is 50 you will lose a lot of your maps and your character will start to buy the pre-drawn maps. Try to pick a vendor that has a lot of maps to begin with.

With 90+ cart I have been gaining around 1.0 cart per hour, slowing down a little now I am at 95.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Don't use a buy agent for cartography; if the vendor doesn't have any blank maps, the buy agent will buy the next map in line, usually a city map which is useless to you.

1. Create a runebook to all the mapmakers and keep it in your bank.

2. Manually buy maps; you should macro with just a pen and ink on you.

3. Use a sell agent to sell the maps back; keep an eye out for indecipherable maps in your pack as you vendor maps (player-created rare.)

4. Before you goto bed, always prestock your macroer with 120 maps. The NPC vendors always start off with 20 blank maps in the morning, by starting with 120 you can sell back a bunch and have a quick start at macroing again.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Hicha wrote:Don't use a buy agent for cartography; if the vendor doesn't have any blank maps, the buy agent will buy the next map in line, usually a city map which is useless to you.

1. Create a runebook to all the mapmakers and keep it in your bank.

2. Manually buy maps; you should macro with just a pen and ink on you.

3. Use a sell agent to sell the maps back; keep an eye out for indecipherable maps in your pack as you vendor maps (player-created rare.)

4. Before you goto bed, always prestock your macroer with 120 maps. The NPC vendors always start off with 20 blank maps in the morning, by starting with 120 you can sell back a bunch and have a quick start at macroing again.
120 maps will only last you 21 minutes so it's hardly even worth leaving the macro going before you goto bed - it saves you 21 minutes of play.

You can argue against using buy agent and I did put a warning in, but I have found at high levels of cartography, and an already heavily (100+) stocked vendor, I have not had any problems with my buy agent macro. I haven't run the macro for long but it has already saved me an estimated 10 hours of attending my macro. I have literally done 86-95 in 3 (2-4 hour) macro sets with the same 2000 gold in my pack (which is now at around 1200). That is 3480 maps I did not have to manually buy, and 29 times I did not have to restart my macro manually.

I am happy with wasting a bit of gold if it has the opportunity to save me attending a macro
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

I pre-bought all my blank maps. Not for the faint-of-heart, but really only took a few consecutive hours, off-and-on to buy then run an organizer. At that point I would just set a macro to run using 20-40 bags at a time over night.

But seriously, I wont be doing it this way again. Took me ~12250 maps to GM -- 98 full bags worth. :shock:

Downs

Post by Downs »

if u use a buy sell, just sell 100 maps then immediately buy 100 maps, its easy
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Downs wrote:if u use a buy sell, just sell 100 maps then immediately buy 100 maps, its easy
The reason I keep the buy amount low, is that it's easier to go over the limit and start buying the pre-drawn maps with 100. Say you buy 100 maps but the vendor only has 20, your character will spend a lot of time doing nothing. Say the vendor restocks during that time, you are wasting time and gold which could have been spent on blank maps restocked/sold by other players.

Though there's potential drawbacks to buying 20 or 100, I just prefer to stick with 20

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

nightshark wrote:Cart is not difficulty based so it doesn't matter which type of map you make, you'll get the same gains.

Make a razor macro that does the following:

Useskill cartography
Wait 0.5s (or wait for menu)
Select option (whichever map you want to make)
Wait 10s
(loop)

say you buy 120 maps each time, you will have to come back to the keyboard and buy new maps every 21 minutes.

To afk the macro you need to incorporate for loops with a buy/sell agent.

I personally do it like this:
Set up a buy agent to buy xx amount of maps. I do it with 20 maps at a time.

Buy agent: 20 blank maps (it will buy the first map in the list, which if in stock, are blank maps. however it will buy ANY TYPE OF MAP if there are no blank maps in stock - ruining your macro.

Sell agent: sell 5 maps

Before you start the macro, set your character to autofollow the NPC selling maps, and make sure you have gold in your pack to buy new maps. The buy agent will not buy any new maps if you already have them in your pack, so it's best to start with 20 blank maps.
Macro:
For (1 to 20) //20 maps
Useskill Cartography
Wait 0.5s
Choose Option (map you want to make - doesnt matter)
wait 10s
endfor

for (1 to 4) //sell 4 times, 5 maps each time = 20 maps
[vendor name] sell //use the vendor name, as this will make your character avoid attempting to sell to the wrong npc
wait 1s
endfor

[vendor name] buy //buys another 20 maps

It is possible to completely afk this macro, however it works better at high levels and it can fail at any time due to maps running out and your macro will start buying all the pre-drawn maps on the vendor. Also you need gold on your person to afk the macro, and thieves will try to grief you by stealing the gold.

The way it works is because every time you sell a drawn map, the NPC will stock 1 more blank map. This is also why it works better at high levels, as when your cart is 50 you will lose a lot of your maps and your character will start to buy the pre-drawn maps. Try to pick a vendor that has a lot of maps to begin with.

With 90+ cart I have been gaining around 1.0 cart per hour, slowing down a little now I am at 95.
How do you get the "For loop" thing to work? It says enter the number of iterations? I have no idea what to type it all it ever says is (1 to 1)? Can you please explain more how to get the For loop thing to work?

Downs

Post by Downs »

its how many times it runs that part of the macro before moving on
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

I had some trouble with the macro at first but now I got it working fine. Thanks nightshark it works very well. And it does really suck when your starting from 50 the macro messes up a ton but now that I am higher in skill its working alot smoother.

Fox
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fox »

Macro works superb, but I am having an issue with the vendor running out of maps. I even set up a 'for' macro to work detect in between, to allow more time for the vendor to stock...

Any tips on getting the vendor to stock more than 20, 40 or 80 maps? I macroed this all day... and it never restocked over 80.

Any tips or idea would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Discord: Fox, Most of my toons http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/1899

UOSA: Nov 2010 - Nov 2011 | Aug 2012 - Oct 2012 | Oct 2016 - Present.
OSI: Summer 1998 - Summer 2008, (off and on), played all over. Home was LS. Guilds: UOF, PVP, VIP

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

What I did was prebuy about 1000 maps to get started, and then used a character from another account to keep buying maps. Even if my cartography character wasn't ready for them, I'd still keep buying up the maps and stashed bags of them in my house to keep the vendor doubling up the maps for sale and got him up to 999 (which seems to be the max a vendor can sell). I was working at home though and could check the vendor every 30 minutes or so to keep buying him out, and getting him up that high meant no running around to every town to buy maps.

Clyde-

Post by Clyde- »

nvm
-cr3w-

jekkis
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jekkis »

Thanks for the macro nightshark, very nice indeed.

I have one concern, though: isn't the macro bannable unless you attend it, as you are AFK and actually selling vendors items for profit? With the macro you are buying blank maps and selling the maps you make for a higher price.

It states on the UOSA Shard Rules:

"You may also not sell items to vendors AFK for profit."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Do they actually sell for a profit? I thought blank maps were 3gp and you sell the maps back for 3gp? So it's not a profit. It's been a long time since I've done carto, though. Would be best to ask Derrick.