Lockpicking Full Guide/Cartography Macro Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Lockpicking Full Guide/Cartography Macro Guide

Post by nightshark »

I'm not interested in who looks stupid. I created this guide to help players GM cartography/lockpicking and not to push my personal ideals of templates upon them. You might have noticed I haven't posted a single template in this thread.

However, I can't endorse your templates and would just prefer you posted them in your own thread for people to critique or (cleverly) ignore.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Archaic proves again his "knowledge".

There are 3 rares that require stealing (the rest weigh 1 stone, so can be retreived with 0 stealing). Out of those 3, 1 weighs 10 stone so you need GM Stealing, leaving you a grand total of 2 rares that template will allow you to retreive. So, great idea burning up 80 skill points for horseshoes...if you can find them.

Then "running" and hiding from a lvl 5 spawn, on foot because you just dug up the chest, is a GREAT idea, I'm sure you'll be very successful at that.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

:lol: surround yourself with tables and use invisibilty.invis items
or just let him die it doesnt matter he is just opening a chest not needed after
and I am pretty sure some rares weigh more then a stone you could drop it a little, the point is not to sit there forever until you are successful all day. I figured if you are going to put anything until stealing you may as well try to attempt to steal from afk players as well if bored....you can snoop with zero points in it too
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

You are so wrong it's not even funny. You do realize monsters break tables/chests/footstools, right?

When my baby poops her diaper she stops moving so she doesn't get poop all over her. She seems to know when to quit.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Okay when last I played I would place red boxes to protect me as I raised taming, it worked. Being the LP would just be popping the chest, and unlocking it...its okay if it dies. Like I stated...

Anyway... I am done with the both of you.

You all stick together like a bundle of twigs :wink:

I am not having any of that. If you make a thread on raising lockpicking and dont include ways in which to raise it faster like hitting level 5's with Detect....and didn't know you needed stealing to nab rares, by all means noob away. Everyone else is watching you.

Why not put a video of you trying to steal with 0 skill in stealing using a bottle from a packhorse several times....we will wait. A bottle weighs a stone so let's see it. Better yet let the reader do it himself.

Especially as a house thief using a disguise kit is handy...and if you go 60 stealing you might as well go 80 in case you come across players afk. If no one is home you can log on to another account and gate that one in who can utilize magery more efficiently. But being a stealth character npc names are really good to roll with. Often players will use tracking before opening their doors and then after sometimes forget to use detect hidden. Its very possible to kill a player right as he opens the door you see especially with something like a rat(s) or other small creature(s) to hold it open that you have follow you or the target....nevermind I am not here to discuss tactics and things like that further. Lets just say with a number of people on the ready you can kill anyone who logs in thereafter. Solo people jump gates, guilds should have the ingenuity to commit breaking and entering all that really needs to be said about that.It's very easy to get a player to unlock a table or destroy a trash barrel with a summons on his heels that he cannot dispel otherwise...after that its cake. Being some people trap boxes in areas where you cant tele safely remove trap is good. I am leaving hints not specifics on how to do this....

If you want to farm mobs doing it with a Lockpicker you are asking to be PKed. I want my lockpicker to do the jobs lockpickers do best, nothing more.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

this thread is about how to gm carto/lp.

things it is not about:
-stealing rares
-stealing bottles from pack horses
-using disguise kits
-killing players
-using a cartographer to farm mobs
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I first started off saying to gain off level 5's to GM...using detect hidden
and suggested a build that one could use. I am sorry you are all territorial about this.
I figured if people wanted to make a lockpicker to offer them other builds as I hardly ever see lockpicking builds that are made for doing other things then dungeon chests and t-maps

But whatever be fussy...its your thread. If thats how you want to present yourself to everyone

By all means

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

stop
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse »

Apparently nobody knows about the second L4 just outside ice-fiends:
I no longer play so I will leave it up to one of you to provide a verification pic, but it spawns right here:

I seem to recall at least one more L4 in Tera Keep on this shard, in addition to the Balron room.
It was to the south, in no-recall zone so it won't be well used, but someone might as well get a pic.
(There could be multiple down there, would be a fun expedition for a picker to do a run through)

There might also be a slow L4 in Wind by the dragons, but I might be remembering this from another shard.

--------

Verified L4 chests for UOSA:
Covetous [L4] - Dragons (2 chests)
Deciet [L3] - Shroom Room
Deciet [L4] - Lich Lords
Despise [L3] - Mages
Despise [L4] - Island (2 chests)
Destard [L3] - Ancient Wyrm
Hythloth [L2] - Hell Hounds
Hythloth [L4] - Daemons
Shame [L3] - Poison Beach
Shame [L4] - Water Elemental Island
The Fire Temple
Wrong [L2] - Ogre Lord Room
Yew Crypt
T2A: Ice Dungeon - Ice Fiends
T2A: Ice Dungeon - Ice Lake
T2A: Fire Dungeon - Mage Tower
T2A: Terathan Keep - Balrons

As I won't be able to, I'd be interested to see if someone can verify if there are any other L4 chests;
I would suggest both Terakeep (way to the south with all the ophids possibly by some stairs/door, or to the West somewhere on the way to the Star Room), and in Wind by the dragons.
Last edited by anonymouse on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

Dark Radiance knew all the spots, he had them marked at vesper keep. Obv wouldnt work to second lands, but I wonder if he still made a note to them in the runebooks.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

zetax
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by zetax »

Thank you for the tips guys.

Hummer007

Post by Hummer007 »

Hello, my locking picking skill is 57, what level do I need to be able to pick the locks on crates and chests found in bandit camps and orc camps?

Whitley
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Whitley »

So I finally GM'ed LP last night. It's not hard to do, but some patience is required. I'm going to share a few things I learned during the process below... some (or all) of them may have been covered in this thread already, it's been a while since I read it. Hope it helps some of you though.

1. Get Stealth

You can drop it later, but it saved me more times than I can count, particularly in places like Evil Mages and Tera Keep. After you pick the chest, stealth away one square, double click it to pop the trap, and then you can loot the chest from there. Then stealth to a safe recall spot to your next chest.

2. Click the Chest

After you recall in, you can single-click a chest you think is pickable even from across the screen. You want to see "a wooden chest" or "a metal chest" as the description, as that means it is pickable and has not yet been picked by anyone. If you see "0 items, 0 stones" (or any other number), it's worthless to you, so go to the next one. This will save you a lot of unnecessary stealthing around wasting time.

3. Rings Are Good

Most of the necklaces and clothing you will get is garbage, but you should still take it anyway because occasionally there's a good item in them. The rings, however, are always (or almost always?) a good item (teleport, invis, etc) in my experience. If you see a ring in a chest, take it *first*. If you don't, someone else surely will :)

4. How Many Chests

Early on, I did not record the number of chests it took for a .1, but based on gut feel, I suspect that I would get .1 LP every 10-15 chests on average.

Starting a 98.5 I logged every chest I picked, and here are the results:

98.5 - 30
98.6 - 10
98.7 - 11
98.8 - 1
98.9 - 36
99.0 - 5
99.1 - 10
99.2 - 32
99.3 - 5
99.4 - 11
99.5 - 39
99.6 - 6
99.7 - 36
99.8 - 20
99.9 - 14
100.0 - 36

Note that those are CHESTS picked, not picking attempts. The picking attempts won't really matter since you can't control that, and attempts will depend on simple variance based on your picking skill. You can control how many chests you pick, obviously.

So from 98.5 to GM, I picked 302 chests. That works out to an average of 19 chests per .1 at that level, with a high of 39 and a low of 1 chest for a .1 of skill.

So with the slightly lower earlier average, and accounting for statistical variance, you're probably looking at between 700-800 chests to GM it from 95.0. The unfortunate part of that isn't the fairly high number, but rather the fact that you will be limited mostly be the number of unpicked chests you can find - there is a lot of competition for these chests in my experience.

5. Start Early

As I mentioned, your skill gain will largely be limited by how many unpicked level 4 chests you can find. I would often start at server up (around 630a central time) and I would typically find 90% of the level 4s waiting to be picked. Later in the day I'd be lucky to find 20-30% of the spots unpicked. Early bird gets the chest.

6. T2A

I also found the T2A chests were considerably less competitive. I could often just camp them, pick, empty chest, repeat if I didn't have time to recall around. I don't recommend camping Tera Keep tho, as it's a no-recall zone and many of the reds there apparently have tracking.

7. Evil Mages, Daemons, Drakes, and Balrons

If you weren't aware, all of these critters agro incredibly fast. You do NOT want to try to squeak off a recall standing within a tile or two of any of them, or you'll be OooOOoo'ing with the fishes.

8. Set a reasonable goal

Like I mentioned earlier, patience is the key to GM'ing this skill. If you just try to blow through it quickly, you're going to be very frustrated. Early on, I tried to set a reasonable goal for skill gain... something like 0.1-0.3 per day. Even with that, sometimes I met the goal and sometimes I didn't. But the key is not to burn out and give up on it because you didn't get 1.5 in a day or some such.

9. Asshole Alert

Many of the pickers you will encounter are good folks just looking to gain skill. There are a few, however, who will try to either PK you, or reveal you so that you're killed by MOBs while looting your chest. Of these, I remember the following names:

filch
Mia Lock
Rumple Fourskin (red who camps chests waiting for LPers to PK)

If you encounter any of these, be careful and/or bring in a PVP'er to dispatch them.

10. Emptying Chests

Yes, it is true that emptying the chest will make it respawn faster. Actually, technically, emptying it only makes the current chest *despawn* faster, arguably leading to an earlier spawn for the next one. In my experience, the difference between emptying the chest and not emptying it was a mere few minutes.

Now, you should consider that you're putting yourself at some risk to empty a chest, because in many cases you'll be throwing worthless stuff on the ground, alerting anyone nearby to your presence. Yes popping the trap also alerts someone to your presence, but you do that one time and if they're not there to see it, there's no additional risk to you.

If, however, you spend 2-3 minutes emptying a chest by throwing things on the ground, you've got a lot longer window where people can discern that you're there. I'm not saying never do it, I'm just saying consider the circumstances and whether the additional risk to you (slight though it may be) is worth the few extra minutes it will take to despawn the chest.

I think that's about it folks. Good luck in your quest to master this skill, and thanks to all of those who posted earlier in the thread about where to find the level 4 chests. Without that information, this skill would have been immeasurably more difficult!

Good luck!

Whitley

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I am pretty sure you can lower your dex even further to one....seriously. As you gain in another stat set dex to drop. Bring it to one dex. This will boost your lockpicking even further macroing off a GM chest.

I am out of slots right now but maybe someone can try it for me.

(*I would also like to add when I do post particular builds it's for multi-purpose, which may have nothing to do with it's original intent but still functions for that purpose as well. I do not always say every reason why as I do hold some things back. Often I set my version differently then I post here. It is only to spark ideas as to where I am going with them)

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:I am pretty sure you can lower your dex even further to one....seriously. As you gain in another stat set dex to drop. Bring it to one dex. This will boost your lockpicking even further macroing off a GM chest.

I am out of slots right now but maybe someone can try it for me.

(*I would also like to add when I do post particular builds it's for multi-purpose, which may have nothing to do with it's original intent but still functions for that purpose as well. I do not always say every reason why as I do hold some things back. Often I set my version differently then I post here. It is only to spark ideas as to where I am going with them)
You are so freaking stupid. Stop posting disinformation, its blatant trolling at this point.