Targeting & attacking for mage fighter

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
lordlp

Targeting & attacking for mage fighter

Post by lordlp »

I need some advice here on Targeting and Attacking - I just can't get a method down with Razor that works effectively.

Lately I've been using my skinning macro to target said creature - double click to attack.. and after that last target and equip/uneqip macro's for the hally. I can pull this off in about 1.5 seconds but I'm still waisting time messing around. Also I killed my self three times PvPing by using my Gheal macro then FS/EB to last target (which would be me at that point) - that and my buddy is getting tired of being FS'ed all the time after I cure him.

They have targeting options in Razor - I just can't get one to work properly to make me mellee attack and designate a spell target.

Pirul

Re: Targeting & attacking for mage fighter

Post by Pirul »

Hotkey's tab in Razor -> targeting -> set hotkeys for closest grey/red/innocent, whatever you need.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

itwouldbewise

Post by itwouldbewise »

Yes, most of all it takes practice and careful awareness of what your last target was... but here are some things from my experience that might help:
  • I do not queue my last targets (it's a checkbox on one of the razor tabs) since I would prefer to always be in control of when a last target / target self is initiated, although if somebody has a good reason why it's a good idea to queue them, I'd like to hear it.
  • Target closest non-friendly is a very handy hotkey in that it will target the closest red, grey, or orange. You must be careful, however, because if you are closer to an animal or monster than you are to your intended target, then you will target them instead. Sometimes you need to run a little closer to your target to target them, but I think this is the best way to get your target back on to the enemy of interest.
  • If you have a "heal self" (or other cast __ on self) macro that has something like
    cast greater heal
    wait for target
    target self
    You need to make sure to right click on the "wait for target" and "set timeout" to something like 1 or 2 seconds (1 second for lesser heal, 2 or 3 seconds for G-heal--however long it takes to finish precasting it). I kept blasting myself on accident when I first started playing here because I would use this G-heal macro and get disrupted, but my macro would still be stuck on "wait for target" (default 30 second timeout is way too long) such that if I tried to cast ebolt or something at that time, it would immediately catch my ebolt target and then proceed to "target self".... Yea... so make sure your macro times out not long after you would expect to finish casting the spell.
  • I don't believe the Razor Last target will ever target yourself (I think your problem is what I am describing above)
  • I haven't really explored Next Target very much, but I can imagine that it is not often useful in PvP... it seems like it would be way more effort to cycle through all available targets than it would just running closer to your intended enemy and using Target closest non-friendly. I have also felt that the "Target Random ..." hotkeys are not useful for PvP purposes.
  • I like to use the Attack Last hotkey instead of double clicking my target in combat mode in order to attack them. This attacks your current Last Target. So, use the "target closest non-friendly" to set your last target to the closest enemy and then press the attack last hotkey to attack them.
ALSO... if you are new and have not done this yet, go to the "General" tab in Razor and UN-check "Use smart CPU usage reduction". Tell your friends. It improved my UO experience immensely.
Mistah T
The Pity-er of Fools

lordlp

Post by lordlp »

my F1 is set to 'last target' via UO not razor - I'll give your advice a gander though and see how it works.

Return to “Guides”