Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and calcs

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
User avatar
Derrick
Posts: 9003
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Cove
Contact:

Re: Guide : Combat Damage

Post by Derrick »

julesontherocks wrote:Hey sorry if this seems like a dumb question...but I really am confused.

"Accurate" magic weapons, according to the Stratics guide you posted, affects Tactics. Yet in the guide it shows that Melee Skill effects accuracy (% chance of hit).

So my question is does Tactics Skill increase damage dealt? or % chance of hit, because the title of "Accurate" would seem to effect your % chance of hitting if it was to be more Accurate....

So will an eminently accurate weapon increase your damage inflicted?

Thanks

It's a little weird, and I think the confusing terminology is due to a change that was made pre-T2A era
Tactics is effected by the accuracy level for all weapons except archery, this increases damage, not chance to hit.
For archery weapons, the "accuracy" bonus does go to the weapons skill, increasing chance to hit.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 am

Re: Guide : Combat Damage

Post by Daolin »

I did some combat logs myself:

Attacker: GM tact, mace, and anat. (100 str / 100 dex)
Defender: 0 Wrest; 0 AR (100 str / 100 dex)

I attacked during 1 minute's time and helped heal with a third char. Added up damage healed from chat logs.

Two-hand:
Q-staff - 728
War Hammer - 572

One-hand:
War Axe - 626
War Mace - 518
Maul - 508
Mace - 508
Hammer Pick - 398

sMikedufFx
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Re: Guide : Combat Damage

Post by sMikedufFx »

Hey guys ! Ive got a question to ask. I may sound noob but ive never played on osi. Does anatomy have any damage boost on meelee skills ? Thanks for the answer ;)

User avatar
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 7247
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 am
Location: 你的錢包

Re: Guide : Combat Damage

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Anatomy does boost damage for melee, however you cannot gain the skill passivly. You have to actually "use" the skill and target something to gain.

sMikedufFx
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Re: Guide : Combat Damage

Post by sMikedufFx »

Yeah, I knew that ;) Thanks for the answer ;)

jackb
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Guide : Combat Damage

Post by jackb »

Hey guys was reading this thread over and I think I can shed some light here.

Kyrss/Fencing speeds scaled better than maces and swords with higher dexterity.

ie. at 25 dex Katanas not kyrss's were the fastest weapons but as your dex got higher kyrss's became the fastest weapons.



Also as far as damage tables, the high disparity in damage in kyrss's compared to katanas is a good thing. Which consquently why war forks were the best "fast" weapon to use back then. Because if you do the same damage with every swing it was easy for an opponent to know how careful they had to be and when they were in serious trouble. With a war fork you could take off very little life so the person would feel safe and then turn around and take off like 1/3 of someones life with a hit. So before the person knew it they were dead.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Guide : Combat Damage

Post by Kraarug »

jackb wrote:Hey guys was reading this thread over and I think I can shed some light here.

Kyrss/Fencing speeds scaled better than maces and swords with higher dexterity.

ie. at 25 dex Katanas not kyrss's were the fastest weapons but as your dex got higher kyrss's became the fastest weapons.



Also as far as damage tables, the high disparity in damage in kyrss's compared to katanas is a good thing. Which consquently why war forks were the best "fast" weapon to use back then. Because if you do the same damage with every swing it was easy for an opponent to know how careful they had to be and when they were in serious trouble. With a war fork you could take off very little life so the person would feel safe and then turn around and take off like 1/3 of someones life with a hit. So before the person knew it they were dead.


Maybe that was it jackb but can you bring something to show that?
Image

ArchaicSubrosa
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Combat Damage

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Mephistopheles wrote:Basing this on what I read from Stratics, Magic Resistance doesn't actually lower the amount of damage absorbed from harmful spells like Flame Arrow, Harm, Fireball, Lightning, E-Bolt, Explosion, Flamestrike or Earthquake...It basically lowers the time you're paralyzed and lowers the amount of mana and stat-drain that occurs from Mana Vampire, etc...

Seems most useful for PvM oriented situations.

If you're paralyzed just use an exploding pouch; Cast it w/ 20 Magery for a 60% success rate and I can't see how a spell like "Curse" would significantly weaken a Dexxer in a fight either. I don't really see Mana Vampire being cast too often as well.

Here's the links for the Resist info I found:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/resisting.shtml

If I'm completely wrong and T2A rules are "different" (and it's actually scripted that way in-game as well), then sorry for wasting all your time =]

Cheers,
Vin

A macer who cursed his opponent can damage the stamina of a dexxer pretty well I'd imagine.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!
Posts: 4607
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and calcs

Post by Mikel123 »

Wow, there's a lot of poor recollection here.

Katanas were faster than Kryss' during T2A. Most people thought there was no reason to use fencing at the time, since Katanas were the fastest and Halberds hit the hardest. However, Short Spears and Spears actually have some pretty solid numbers against moderately-armored opponents. But in the Katana vs Kryss debate, Katanas were strictly superior.

User avatar
Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and calcs

Post by Ronk »

Mikel123 wrote:Wow, there's a lot of poor recollection here.

Katanas were faster than Kryss' during T2A. Most people thought there was no reason to use fencing at the time, since Katanas were the fastest and Halberds hit the hardest. However, Short Spears and Spears actually have some pretty solid numbers against moderately-armored opponents. But in the Katana vs Kryss debate, Katanas were strictly superior.


Or...

Wow, there's a lot of poor recollection here.

Kryss were faster than Katanas' during T2A. But in the Kryss vs Katanas debate, Kryss were strictly superior.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and calcs

Post by Kraarug »

Mikel123 wrote:Wow, there's a lot of poor recollection here.

Katanas were faster than Kryss' during T2A. Most people thought there was no reason to use fencing at the time, since Katanas were the fastest and Halberds hit the hardest. However, Short Spears and Spears actually have some pretty solid numbers against moderately-armored opponents. But in the Katana vs Kryss debate, Katanas were strictly superior.


As one looks up old references you will find several adecotal sources all saying that the kryss was the fastest although the statics table gives the katana a faster attack speed.

I do not know what shard you played on but there was a particular reason why people chose fencing in 1999.
Image

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and calcs

Post by Kraarug »

Here's a quote from a much earlier post about fencing and it being the fastest melee in 1999...

Kraarug wrote:Here's an essay about fencing from the time. . .

http://web.archive.org/web/20000311190136/uo.stratics.com/strat/fencer.htm

"Fencing is the fastest combat skill. A fencer should be one of the fastest characters around. Put a grandmaster fencer on horseback and only a very few creatures or characters should be able to outrun her. Then her job becomes one of interrupting whatever offense or escape the victim is trying to mount!"

--The Fencer, by Lee Allison; Edited by Xena Dragon
Image

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:50 pm
Location: Minoc
Contact:

Re: Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and calcs

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

So has this debate been resolved yet? What is faster? Kyrss,Katana or Dagger? I remember most people on Great Lakes using Katanas when I first started T2A,however sometime later I saw a shift (cant remember what year,definitely before UO:R) in what was mainly used for dexxers. Daggers were fastest, being the smallest,easy to handle fencing weapon causing great interrupts.Kyrss was next doing slightly less damage than katana, then the katana which was the all around best bladed melee weapon due to its balanced damage and speed. I know this proves nothing, just how I remember it.

User avatar
Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 1942
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and calcs

Post by Ronk »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:So has this debate been resolved yet? What is faster? Kyrss,Katana or Dagger? I remember most people on Great Lakes using Katanas when I first started T2A,however sometime later I saw a shift (cant remember what year,definitely before UO:R) in what was mainly used for dexxers. Daggers were fastest, being the smallest,easy to handle fencing weapon causing great interrupts.Kyrss was next doing slightly less damage than katana, then the katana which was the all around best bladed melee weapon due to its balanced damage and speed. I know this proves nothing, just how I remember it.

I think it was resolved. Read the last page...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8709&start=45
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Boyzone
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Guide : Stratics Magery and Weapon Combat Damage and cal

Post by Boyzone »

For me whatever is it, the two were very nice. I like it.

Post Reply