New client installer.

News and Announcements
Derrick

New client installer.

Post by Derrick »

With all credit to Dagon, we've posted a new comprehensive client installer which can be downloaded from our main website: http://www.uosecondage.com/Download

http://download.uosecondage.com/UOSA_Client_Setup.exe
BitTorrent: http://download.uosecondage.com/UOSA_Client_T2A.torrent

This installer includes the 5.0.8.3 client, without any need for cumbersome patching after the install. It also includes Razor and UO-AutoMap, ad well as a secondary client which will allow connection to UOSA without using Razor.

The issue with the in-game music under Vista and Windows 7 has been fixed.

I have searched the forums for links to the old installer and deleted them, but i've likely missed a few, so if you come across old links, please let me know. Especially broken links to the demonoid torrent, and the old FTP site.

If anyone finds any issues or quirks with the installer please let me know.

Additional mirrors:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uoseco ... e/download

Torrent coming soon.
Last edited by Derrick on Sun May 16, 2010 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

HardCore

Re: New client installer.

Post by HardCore »

Just used the new link and it worked perfectly. Took less than 20 minutes total. Can't get much simpler for people to install and start playing UO Second Age!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Awesome, glad to hear. We've tested in a few different enviorments. I'm really hoping this will help lower the barier to new players.

Many thanks to Dagon for picking up the ball on this installer, it's was something I'd been hoping to develop for some time, and it seems a better job could not have been done.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

I did a full uninstall & reinstall today to step back from 5.0.9.1 to 5.0.8.3 and it worked superbly. Running smoother too, which was the aim of it in the first place. Its easy to use also, should help newbs. Very happy.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Thanks for your work .. I'm sure Derrick would agree when I say .. Our community is a large part of what makes UOSA the best shard.

Again TY for you time and work in this matter.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

If I uninstall and then reinstall, how do I keep the screen setup I have for each character? (spell icon location, map/journal/paperdoll location, etc)?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Mikel123 wrote:If I uninstall and then reinstall, how do I keep the screen setup I have for each character? (spell icon location, map/journal/paperdoll location, etc)?
All of that is in a subdirectory of you installed folder called "Desktop" there is a folder in there for each account, shard and character.

Back it up, then restore it after the install.

mine is: C:\Ultima Online\Desktop
yours might be: C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\Desktop
Or: C:\Program Files\EA Games\Mondains Legacy\Desktop

or some other variation

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Glad to have been able to help out and good to hear that it's working good for everyone so far. As Derrick said we tested on pretty much every [relevant] environment, XP32, Vista32/64, Win7 32/64 and had great results all over.

UOAM and Razor are included as optional installs, and UOAM is ready to go "out of the box" without the usual problems people experience when downloading UOAM with incomplete file sets.

I should have included some info about the secondary client.exe so people would know exactly what the deal was.. but basically you can now use this client to connect to UOSA via login.cfg (already configured for our server) without having to use Razor.. if you choose to do so (anyone care to PVP without Razor!?!?). In the most extreme case you will be able to refresh your houses when they are IDOC because Razor has broken and you can't log in. :)

Hardly worth mentioning but initially I had decided to leave music enabled by default and left it up to the user to turn it off if it caused problems for them (just as an original installation would do).. well long story short, the installer that is hosted on the server has the music on by default (it was uploaded first), and the file host mirrors have a installer with music off by default so any Vista/7 users may not crash right away from having music on.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I use Vista and am having a couple issues.

I backed up the Desktop folder as you mentioned, and then copied it into the new UO install in the same spot.

However, the game is not recognizing the contents of those folders/profiles. I'm also unable to even copy them out of that folder (I see an error stating: "You need permission to perform this action"). I do have UAC turned off already.

Also, probably related, when I log out of the game, I get an error before I can fully close that says:
Could not create directory: C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\Desktop/accountname/SecondAge/charactername :
Any ideas?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I think it may have to do with the Desktop folder being "Read Only" by default (though I don't know why that would block that data from getting read when I log in with my character). When I try to uncheck Read Only, I see:
You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes.
then
Error Applying Attributes

An error occurred applying attributes to the file: ...chardata.mul

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

meh. Reinstalled the whole thing, everything is working fine but I lost the Desktop folder because once stuff went in there, I couldn't get it out.

In any case, it looks like stuff I do in terms of screen setup is now saving and loading properly, so I'll just have to go through for each of my guys and re-do the setup. Shouldn't take long. Thanks for the client download... I checked out Hythloth, Despise, etc, and I think this is the first time I've had an accurate map while playing UOSA :-)

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Just to clear things up, those folder/file problems are not related to this installer, but rather the operating system itself.

I think you have to do something about taking ownership of the folder. I'm not really sure, never used Vista.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Yeah, I think it had something to do with UAC and whether or not I was running as administrator.

Anyways to anyone else running Vista and trying this, I'd suggest making a few backups of your Desktop folder. The first time I copied Desktop into the new UO folders, it moved them (i.e. cut and pasted) instead of copying them. Then it wouldn't let me copy or cut them back out. Don't know why. Somehow I was able to rescue one of them, which I pasted in when I installed a second time and it worked fine. If only I had a second backup :-) of my Desktop folder, I'd be 100% fine.

mrmr

Post by mrmr »

Hello.
I love having this installer (only 300MB archive!), but got some questions.

- What are the registry keys added by this installer (for UO itself, UOAM and Razor)?
- Is it posibble to install this by a "restricted" user (not a Power User)?
- Is it possible to make a "portable" UO client?

Guess someone could answer this...this way, we could have a "on-usb-key" UOSA client ;)

Zorce
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Zorce »

My question is will this "install" require .net framework? I know alot of new players know nothing about it and I know its required for razor. Is it included in this package?