Cannot Connect

Kerlen

Cannot Connect

Post by Kerlen »

Cannot Connect...to Ultima Online, please try again in a few minutes. Is the shard down or should I be changing something with how I normally log in? It's been about 2-3 months since I've had a chance to log into my account.

Thanks in advance!

Notes (Razor patched when I initially started it up, but since then has not).

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Cannot Connect

Post by Chaos »

still having problems?? if so plz post any info you have such as how and were you are trying to connect (just so we have a good starting place to track your problem)

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Kerlen

Post by Kerlen »

Yes, still having problems but I think I've narrowed it down a bit... At home, I have no problems connecting as usual; however, on my university's campus I still get the "cannot connect to UO, please try again in a few minutes" no matter what I try.

There is an initial "log in" that you have to do when you first connect to the campus wireless (open up the browser, try to connect to a website, rerouted to the 'log in page', enter credentials, good to go for surfing), but I am still unable to connect even after I put in my credentials after opening up a web browser.

Could there be a setting that disallows the kind of connection required to play on the shard? Are there remedies?

-Thanks again in advance

Coloram
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Coloram »

Your university may allow web browsing but not gaming. Web browsing usually uses port 80 but UO uses port 2593 so this might be blocked on the University firewall. Have you ever played this or any other online from University?
Aldarian - DG

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

I have to agree, I don't know of any university that allows unrestricted access. They are using outgoing port filtering, probably the only thing allowed would be ftp(21) maybe ssh(22) http(80). You could potentially setup a re director on your home computer listening to port 80 and forwarding all request to 2593 of uosecondage.com. I have done this under linux a hundred times, not sure about windows.

You can also setup a vpn on your home computer listening to port 80, and when you are at the university just connect to your home vpn and have all traffic route to your home computer via port 80. This can be done in windows easily. I use OpenVPN.

Both methods also add a little latency, but not enough to matter to UO.

Also be aware both would be against the TOS of your university and if caught, well idk, restrict your access I guess.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

orionsune, I love your sig. Most excellent.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Kerlen

Post by Kerlen »

orionsune wrote:I have to agree, I don't know of any university that allows unrestricted access. They are using outgoing port filtering, probably the only thing allowed would be ftp(21) maybe ssh(22) http(80). You could potentially setup a re director on your home computer listening to port 80 and forwarding all request to 2593 of uosecondage.com. I have done this under linux a hundred times, not sure about windows.

You can also setup a vpn on your home computer listening to port 80, and when you are at the university just connect to your home vpn and have all traffic route to your home computer via port 80. This can be done in windows easily. I use OpenVPN.

Both methods also add a little latency, but not enough to matter to UO.

Also be aware both would be against the TOS of your university and if caught, well idk, restrict your access I guess.
Is there any way of doing this without having a second computer at home? I'm currently working with only a laptop. I'm sure I could use a 3rd party to do it for me, but that seems unreliable/risky.

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

You would need one computer at each location to setup a VPN. If there is a 3rd party that looks legit, that would work too. FYI on the second computer, could be a total piece of crap and will run a VPN just fine on it.

btw thanks pristiq heh... i still chuckle everytime I see it...