Ore weight

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Germ

Ore weight

Post by Germ »

Hello all,

New to this Shard, and really enjoying it so far. Been doing a little mining and I recall from my days playing T2A on Atlantic that it was beneficial to convert all your ore to smalls to be able to carry more around and store more on Pack Animals.

However it seems that smalls here weigh 12 Stones each which seems very high.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thanks!

Derrick

Re: Ore weight

Post by Derrick »

Germ wrote:However it seems that smalls here weigh 12 Stones each which seems very high.
Welcome to Second Age!

There is some discussion on this in bug reports, and it's planned to address it. Currently I believe that the most wieght efficient pile is the large one. When the Ore was originally coded we lacked specific info on the weight of the piles; I hope to fix this soon.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Germ

Post by Germ »

Sounds good Derrick.

The Large ore piles as they are now are the most weight efficient, but I believe from back in T2A you would always want to convert your ores to the smalls for packing/storage, I remember failing smelts on purpose the first few times to be able to get a small out of it.

I remember the smalls being 2 stones a piece. So 2 smalls to make 1 ingot, 4 stones/ingot. Where as the larges were around 10-12 for 2 ingots.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

I remember back when I had my miner I always tried to save one of the pieces that looks like scattered stones as they seemes to weigh the least, followed by the small piles, then the big piles. My memory's not 100% but this is one of the things I do recall.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Germ

Post by Germ »

Cached Stratics pages from this time show the small ores weighed 2 stones. Fits with what I remember about mining from back in good ole days.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This info was found here: http://web.archive.org/web/200001161030 ... temscr.htm

Code: Select all

Ore (Small Pile) -- -- -- -- 2 stones 
Ore (Medium Pile) -- -- -- -- 7 stones 
Ore (Large Pile) -- -- -- -- 12 stones 
Fixing in next publish
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Germ

Post by Germ »

Very nice. That is how I remember it and what information I could find from stratics backed that up as well.

One other thing I remember but haven't been able to find any documentation on... when you had almost mined all the ore out of a spot, I seem to remember it randomly giving you the medium and small ores, which was another reason to keep the smalls on you to convert them on the spot.

Germ

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Germ wrote:Very nice. That is how I remember it and what information I could find from stratics backed that up as well.

One other thing I remember but haven't been able to find any documentation on... when you had almost mined all the ore out of a spot, I seem to remember it randomly giving you the medium and small ores, which was another reason to keep the smalls on you to convert them on the spot.

Germ
Aye, the way that OSI resource veins worked allowed for a more precise amount of ore in each vein, and often at the end you'd get a small ore. Essentially theirs were rationed on a quantity of partial ore, while ours are rationed on a number of large ore. I'll see what i can do about emulating this.

Thanks!