Animal Taming guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Animal Taming guide

Post by Mikel123 »

Correct, they will not smash them (though many larger monsters will).

The boxes will decay if they don't move and aren't opened for some period of time (a few hours perhaps).

I used stacks of 2 boxes so that I could pick up the bottom one and put it on top every 30 minutes or so, to refresh the timer and ensure it didn't decay.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

You need magery to dispel summons, teleport, dispel field etc besides just gating your pets. If you are solo, don't have a gater and value your pets enough magery to gate should be included.

If you run with other players alot you can practically alter the template to be anything you like dependent on your fellows skills. If you solo you want to keep the Mage Vet, or Pure Mage templates.

You want wrestling as you will be targeted with your pets by spawn and PKs alike do not be mistaken. If you have vet it won't hurt to wear at least minimal armor not only because of this but because of PKs as well. Without vet you want constant passive mana regeneration.

Provoking would be awesome...too many times I have been overwhelmed where I couldn't reach my pets to heal them.(I was hitting challanging high spawn areas and testing out survivability purposely) Yet wrestling seems too invaluable to give up as a primary caster, and meditation/resist is a must have.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

makiazo

Post by makiazo »

Where are the hell hounds in Hytloth? Can't find any....

And can I ask why is resist/wresting needed for a PvM type character? Wont your pets be taking all the damage from mobs?

Or are those two skills solely to avoid PKs? Something you don't need to do if you hunt in the right places...

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

makiazo wrote:Where are the hell hounds in Hytloth? Can't find any....

And can I ask why is resist/wresting needed for a PvM type character? Wont your pets be taking all the damage from mobs?

Or are those two skills solely to avoid PKs? Something you don't need to do if you hunt in the right places...
Wrestling is much, much more important. And yes, it's mostly to save you from PKs. I think I killed all of the active tamers with less than GM wrestling, while their dragons beat on me but didn't kill me. Then I stole the dragons :-)

You cannot hide from some PKs. UO's Brittania isn't as big as you think, and some PKs such as one of mine had GM tracking. With that, they don't even need to be in the same dungeon as you to find you. For example, you can track people in Ice Dungeon from some spots in Shame.

makiazo

Post by makiazo »

Anyone have any idea where there is a good constant hell hound spawn?

JackAttack

Post by JackAttack »

this is a very nice guide but i was curious on your thoughts in regards to starting your tamer with 50 taming 50 mage and raising up swords on him so you can kill your tames? (i know it's kind of lame but as starting out here magery costs ALOT of $$ to raise) thoughts??

Pro

Post by Pro »

You could do it but generally you'll have quite a hrd time starting as a tamer for your first char

JackAttack

Post by JackAttack »

so would it be more effective to just save up $$ to gm magery on my tamer then go about taming?

Pro

Post by Pro »

well not gm but the best way of training taming is with 2 chars a mage and a tamer (at least in my experience) luring spawn to the tamer for it to tame from a safe location so I'd make a mage or a dexer first and do it that way.

JackAttack

Post by JackAttack »

Pro wrote:well not gm but the best way of training taming is with 2 chars a mage and a tamer (at least in my experience) luring spawn to the tamer for it to tame from a safe location so I'd make a mage or a dexer first and do it that way.
so.. o.o what would be the best razor macro for taming ? i.e. like tame closest grey? (how would that work??)

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

IMO vet is a necessity for a tamer unless you just want to kill scrub stuff like liches, which you can easily do on a dexer in about the same amount of time - and it's cheaper to play, easier to escape. People WILL grief you on a tamer and try to lure your dragons through gates, etc... which is where the "cheaper, easier to escape" comes in.

Vet will save you so much gold in reagants. It's a no brainer. Personally when I played a tamer on OSI and UOGamers (granted, it wasn't on UOSA), I was applying bandages constantly.

Why would you want to spend all that time making the strongest PvM template in the game and then kill scrub mobs? It makes no sense. Use the 100 points and save a fortune in GH regs.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

JackAttack

Post by JackAttack »

i have come to the conclusion that taming on this shard makes me want to hurt myself irl. fml

Krats

Post by Krats »

JackAttack wrote:i have come to the conclusion that taming on this shard makes me want to hurt myself irl. fml
And OSI Taming didn't?
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

tkelz448

Post by tkelz448 »

It did for me. lol I'm actually thinking of starting up a tamer. Still having trouble deciding like that last 1 or 2 skills to take. So far I've come up with: Taming / Lore / Vet / Magery / Med / ? / ? Thinking last 2 should be Eval / Resist, but not sure what could really work, or the whole Music / Provo route. Any suggestions for which is better. Thanks =D

Krats

Post by Krats »

wrestling/resist
or
wrestling/eval int
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.