Reinstalled UO and can't find desktop for macros?

Psilo

Reinstalled UO and can't find desktop for macros?

Post by Psilo »

I reinstalled UO using the "recommended t2a pack" and after doing so I logged into my character and logged out. Went to check my UO folder and I don't see the "desktop" folder that should have my character file in it.

I've never had this issue before until I used the "recommended t2a pack".

What could possibly be the problem? I need to get my UO macros working...

Dagon

Re: Reinstalled UO and can't find desktop for macros?

Post by Dagon »

I don't know if you resolved this already from IRC but as stated the installation of UO from the website has nothing to do with your problem.

You are running Vista so the Desktop folder is not created or used from the normal location of C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\Desktop, it will be in your user's folder something along the lines of C:\Users\Psilo (or whatever)\............. somewhere in there.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I don't know if you resolved this already from IRC but as stated the installation of UO from the website has nothing to do with your problem.

You are running Vista so the Desktop folder is not created or used from the normal location of C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\Desktop, it will be in your user's folder something along the lines of C:\Users\Psilo (or whatever)\............. somewhere in there.
This is not even a regular UO installation, this is the "recommended pack". It was made by Derrick's GM's or something, it even installs a link to the website in your UO folder. Perhaps the coding in this installation didn't allow it to set up my folders properly on Vista(wherever they needed to go).

Are you sure it has to be under users? Because last time my desktop was in UO and I had no trouble reinstalled 5 other times using Mondaine's legacy and patching manually.

What could be the issue here? I don't want to patch manually cause it's nearly impossible to land on the exact patch. I don't want to see cyclops, balrons and daemons with new models they piss me off.

HardCore

Post by HardCore »

I can't really help you other than stating the same thing happened to me. The files you are trying to find are somewhere hidden. It took me about a half hour to find them. They definately didn't go to where they normally do. I think I might have just used search.
The Core [PEE]: http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/236
<Vega-> I'm about to go to the gym but that is worth missing a couple reps for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhfbLRoGEw

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Psilo wrote:This is not even a regular UO installation, this is the "recommended pack". It was made by Derrick's GM's or something, it even installs a link to the website in your UO folder. Perhaps the coding in this installation didn't allow it to set up my folders properly on Vista(wherever they needed to go).
The installation was made by me, so I'm fully aware of what it does or does not do.
Are you sure it has to be under users?
Pretty sure, yes, since that's how Vista does things (and not the installer).. Microsoft's grand idea for security, et cetera, was to use stuff out of a different location that was more private. Nobody said it was a great idea, but that's how they did it.

So far you're the only one having this sort of problem because apparently everyone else can figure it out.
hiicha wrote:Sounds like Vista is storing the data in the shadow directory.

Enable hidden files and folders, then check C:\Users\<your name>\AppData and check the following folders:

Local
LocalLow
Roaming

Should be a folder inside one of those called Ultima, and your macro file should be inside.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

So far you're the only one having this sort of problem because apparently everyone else can figure it out.
Well, I have done searches for my macros file. Even though UO macros save I still can't find the actual file on my computer even through a search.

I think my files are hidden away sometime.

I have never had this issue before and I've reinstalled 3-4 times on vista.

Odd....maybe it's because I installed this t2a client package before deleting the LBTR folder out of users(it was from another installation on UO).

I'm going to start using razor macros for now until I figure this out.

Thanks for everyones help, including those who msged me on mIRC it is much appreciated :D

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

I am going to harp on this... read carefully

Code: Select all

Enable hidden files and folders, then check C:\Users\<your name>\AppData and check the following folders:

Local
LocalLow
Roaming
I can almost promise you your Desktop folder is in one of those 3 folders. Did you enable "show hidden files and folders" in windows? Were you "THOROUGH" when browsing those folders? Not skipping any folders no matter how insignificant the folder may look? That gets me in trouble at work all the time.

A search is useless because it won't look at hidden folders and files unless you turn on indexing for the entire hard drive, and even then I cannot confirm it will search in hidden folders or files. If you do perform a search, try searching for your account name you use in UO instead of macro files. Just broadening the horizon of options here...

I assumed you've checked the Desktop folder in your original UO installation folder and the old UO installation folder you mentioned? , just had to ask...

Think logically for a second here... if hundreds of players have used this installation and have not had an issue like this, then you may be changing the light-bulb before checking if the lamp is plugged in. Maybe your overlooking something simple?

I used vista with the same exact install you used and it works fine for me.

*shrugs* I don't know what else to say.