Do y'all remember ..... ??

Topics related to Second Age
Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Do y'all remember ..... ??

Post by Budner »

When UO:R came out and all that virgin empty Trammel land (we always called it Candyland) opened up for housing?

I was on Chessy. I placed a large tower and "due to technical difficulties" they did a revert and I lost that spot. Then they tried again, this time I had a small marble (awesome house - I wish it was available here but obviously not era accurate) and they did another revert.

Ended up with a small tower on fire island ..... all the fun people left the game ...... too many gimicks introduced (LUCK?!?!?!?) and I left for many years until I found THIS HOLY PLACE AND GOD BLESS IT!!

But that housing fiasco ...... that gave me a farkin' heart attack. Spots were HARD to come by in those days.

Came across this choice quote from a review of UO:R:

"If you've played Ultima Online before, you'll find that many of the original game's problems have since been corrected and that the game's overall design is far better than it used to be."

LOL

Sorry should have posted this in Second Age Discussion. (moved by mod)

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Do y'all remember ..... ??

Post by nightshark »

Personally I took advantage of the people moving out of fel, to place.

Turned out to be a bad move financially.. but meh. I lived in it for over 3 years. I have actually had the exact same spot on three different shards now.

Oceania (OSI) - tower
UOGamers - originally large brick on the day of server re-release, changed it to a tower later (which eventually sold for 3 mill). UOGamers was hilarious, 'cause you could sell rares on the day of server release for 20k each (donations). I had 10 chars already because I'd been spam-creating for the 1k gold.
Here, I have a small house. Unfortunately there's 2 other houses blocking the chance for a tower spot. I can't be bothered buying them both out.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Donk

Post by Donk »

Placed my first ever 7x7 in an alley between two castles 10 or so screens west of Brit X-Roads. It was a crappy house in a crappy spot with crappy forest spawn, but it was mine goddamnit.
<Zedd[afk> if theres ever a uosa convention and you pked me once ur getting ran over with a truck

Clyde-

Post by Clyde- »

epic signature bro
-cr3w-

Gicod

Post by Gicod »

God, Trammel placement night, I remember it well. I was working 12 hr swings at the time on the 6 to 6 night shift, the original date fell on my night off and it got canceled. I had to take a personal day off work for it, my boss thought I was crazy. I was geared and well prepared too, 3 runebooks full of castle locations and my backup plan of 3 runebooks of valid tower spots. Picked a valid castle spot by the Trin swamp ruins as my favorite....reason being that a flower on the ground at the location ended up in the courtyard which I thought was cool and there were a few rocks I didnt think many people would realize you could place over so I assumed there would be less competition. On that I was dead wrong.

Logged and hidden on the spot, deeds and books ready, as placement time got closer more and more people began to show. Me on crappy 56k dial up using the last-object/mouse-click method against 9 others likely better set up than me. Some of my RL friends that werent placing in that phase helped, one stood on the spot to give me a targeting reference (click the space between his horses head and him), one with a patio deed trying to place a second house for me on another spot I liked, and the most important one....my best friend who walked through my door with a cooler full of Leinenkugel's 20 mins before go time :)

I managed to bag the castle, via ICQ I found out a guildie scored one up in north Minoc for the guild, another guildie lost his spot and showed up by mine. I gave him my tower deed and books and sent him on his way and then I crashed. Managed to log back in, yep, I still have the castle, and crashed again. ICQ went insane as everyone's connections started to go to hell and the shard freaked out. My buddy with my other deed tried valiantly for over an hour, moving one step every 10 secs or so, trying to get my patio placed to no avail. Guildies that placed and managed to stay connected hopping around trying to find valid spots and calling em out. I was down for a few hours before I was able to get back in, settled on a cabin in the woods outside Skara for number 2, in the wee hours of the morning.

That night was one of the best times I ever had in UO.

a flying monkey

Post by a flying monkey »

Gicod wrote:God, Trammel placement night, I remember it well. I was working 12 hr swings at the time on the 6 to 6 night shift, the original date fell on my night off and it got canceled. I had to take a personal day off work for it, my boss thought I was crazy.
HAHA sorry you lost me at the end of that part. too good...

Gicod

Post by Gicod »

Heh, thats okay, after DAoC released I left UO for a bit and sold that castle on Ebay for $810 US, he didnt think I was very crazy then :)

Al Jourgensen

Post by Al Jourgensen »

I placed a Castle a keep and a large patio house when trammel launched on Napa. All next to each other. Sold those houses on ebay for 2000 or something like that. Not as much as my other account that had 5 houses on the one account in it's own village.

Horvik

Post by Horvik »

When i started on osi there where no spots to place houses at all in entire tramel or fel. It was LBR era. So i had to grind earth elles in shame for about 6 days to gather 1 million gp just to buy a lame location 7X7 2 stores house on fire isle and open a shop. Than i went to felucia and bought all cheap powerscrolls from pk vendors. They where going for like 100-200k and nobody rich from trammel dared to go there. And than they sold in tramel for like 1-5 million gp. That way i bought my self up for 10 million to a house outside cove and there was tons of trafic there by that time so my big vendor mall outside cove made like 1 million a day. I wasnt even crafting things, just going around the shard buying stuff and selling it for double price, sometimes even 10 times what i payed for it.

Last time i played was last year, it was Mondain legacy era. Trammel was dead and everyone was hanging out in Luna. And even than i was able to place a house just outside luna with no problems.

Yea i played on Europa shard.

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

Good stories. :)

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Horvik wrote:When i started on osi there where no spots to place houses at all in entire tramel or fel. It was LBR era. So i had to grind earth elles in shame for about 6 days to gather 1 million gp just to buy a lame location 7X7 2 stores house on fire isle and open a shop. Than i went to felucia and bought all cheap powerscrolls from pk vendors. They where going for like 100-200k and nobody rich from trammel dared to go there. And than they sold in tramel for like 1-5 million gp. That way i bought my self up for 10 million to a house outside cove and there was tons of trafic there by that time so my big vendor mall outside cove made like 1 million a day. I wasnt even crafting things, just going around the shard buying stuff and selling it for double price, sometimes even 10 times what i payed for it.
The reason I QUIT UO post-Trammel was that I could never find a SOUL in Felucca to fight. And that was on Chessy, very crowded shard on the Trammel/Candyland side of things.

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Budner wrote:
Horvik wrote:When i started on osi there where no spots to place houses at all in entire tramel or fel. It was LBR era. So i had to grind earth elles in shame for about 6 days to gather 1 million gp just to buy a lame location 7X7 2 stores house on fire isle and open a shop. Than i went to felucia and bought all cheap powerscrolls from pk vendors. They where going for like 100-200k and nobody rich from trammel dared to go there. And than they sold in tramel for like 1-5 million gp. That way i bought my self up for 10 million to a house outside cove and there was tons of trafic there by that time so my big vendor mall outside cove made like 1 million a day. I wasnt even crafting things, just going around the shard buying stuff and selling it for double price, sometimes even 10 times what i payed for it.
The reason I QUIT UO post-Trammel was that I could never find a SOUL in Felucca to fight. And that was on Chessy, very crowded shard on the Trammel/Candyland side of things.
Housing was a big deal back then. One of the best parts about having a tower or a keep or a castle (lol) was simply that you were clogging up a lot of real estate that could be used for other things.

I had a small house and that was a big deal - the people that had 2 stories or large bricks were usually people that had been around for a while.

I'm not sure how much houses were actually being sold back then but it was a great way to get scammed. Hell I got scammed by some dumb bitch 'selling nightmares 20k'.

I was like "got the money?" and suddenly mrs. RP speak "Hello I am selling a Nightmare for 20k!" became "lol and no u dont" and 'she' just walked away.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Last time i played was last year, it was Mondain legacy era. Trammel was dead and everyone was hanging out in Luna. And even than i was able to place a house just outside luna with no problems.

Yea i played on Europa shard.
No offense, but that story was the biggest load of horse sh*t I have ever read.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Horvik

Post by Horvik »

Why? What part do you not belive? That houses on any decent location costed 10 millions at least in LBR era? That you today can place a house near luna? That nobody grinds or crafts nothing anymore on osi and its just a big shoping and reselling kinda game now days?

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I think the poster is questioning the ability to purchase power scrolls cheap in Felucca and then flip them for 10x-50x in Trammel. Struck me as an exaggeration as well.