Pieces of Eight [PoE] - MUTIANY IN THE RANKS!

Topics related to Second Age
KydVicious

Re: Pieces of Eight [PoE] - MUTIANY IN THE RANKS!

Post by KydVicious »

Mark Stoneholme wrote:
Van Raily wrote:A shame it comes at a time that my guild's lost interest in the shard... =[
[OOC: Sorry to hear that Van, how come? If you folks ever return; maybe reconsider the Laws of War - May perk your activity & interests! :wink:]
As they are at present your Laws of War are going to isolate your guild from the rest of the community here. It's a good idea if you were playing a shard like AI which prohibits horses, but anywhere else most people who may be interested in your guild's concept and RP opportunties will probably pass based on the limiting factors imposed by not being able to have the ability to use magic weapons and horses. It's just asking to get the shit kicked out of you on a daily basis. As much as one may not lose a whole lot by not having high end gear, the rezzing, walk back to base and re-equipping gets old after awhile.

You guys are a good bunch of RPers that have the potential to be a great bunch of RPers if you could make your guild more accessible and shard friendly. Just my two cents

Mark Stoneholme

Post by Mark Stoneholme »

KydVicious wrote:<Comments here>
[OOC: I appreciate your two cents Kyd; but I think you should do some research into The Crossroads of Yew on Europa, and 'The Guardsmen Militia' also; a guild we're similarly based off that absolutely thrived in THIS era back on Europa, following the same Laws of War we do. In other words, I know it's hard to compete; but that's part of the fun - And it's a concept that's been tried and tested 12 years ago, and most of those guilds are still going strong today

Granted, they're in Trammel now and have been for some time - But the guilds in CoY worked extremely well in the turbulent times of the era this shard is set in.

To Van; sorry to hear you folks are moving on but absolutely, the guild concept you folks have requires a bit more naval opportunity and I hope you find it on another server; as well you know yourself, Naval Guilds/guild divisions never lasted too long on Europa due to their limitations by UO's general sea system. As for the more/less fun perspective, I appreciate your opinion but stand by it being completely relative. The community we used to enjoy back on Europa was born from the same LoW, and Mlt is slowly snow-balling into success as a result of the limitations that we find make the game more interesting!

Best of luck to everyone, regardless!]
Kind Regards,

Mark Stoneholme (ICQ: 644-876-747)
'Militiaman', The Militia.

Donk

Post by Donk »

KydVicious wrote:
Mark Stoneholme wrote:
Van Raily wrote:A shame it comes at a time that my guild's lost interest in the shard... =[
[OOC: Sorry to hear that Van, how come? If you folks ever return; maybe reconsider the Laws of War - May perk your activity & interests! :wink:]
As they are at present your Laws of War are going to isolate your guild from the rest of the community here. It's a good idea if you were playing a shard like AI which prohibits horses, but anywhere else most people who may be interested in your guild's concept and RP opportunties will probably pass based on the limiting factors imposed by not being able to have the ability to use magic weapons and horses. It's just asking to get the shit kicked out of you on a daily basis. As much as one may not lose a whole lot by not having high end gear, the rezzing, walk back to base and re-equipping gets old after awhile.

You guys are a good bunch of RPers that have the potential to be a great bunch of RPers if you could make your guild more accessible and shard friendly. Just my two cents
I disagree with your assessment, I think a strict ruleset opens up as much potential as it closes off. The problem with allowing horses and magic and everything else is that this already exists on the rest of the shard, people who want to do those things can do them without joining his guild. Restrictions on what you can do forces people to play within those restrictions. For example, if you can't use magic weapons, magery, horses etc, it makes something as simple as killing monsters in a dungeon fun. Instead of dashing around killing things ASAP, worrying about making the most money in the shortest amount of time you can take it at a slower pace, chat to the people you're killing with, focusing on making it through the dungeon alive. Every earth elemental you encounter is a potential danger instead of an annoyance to be dealt with while you wait for the next elder gazer to spawn.

In too many MMOs the only thing that matters is the best possible item/method/area available. If there's 24 swords but only one does the most damage then 23 of them will never get used. If there's 50 farming spots but 2-3 drop more cash than the others, that's 47 farming spots most players will never see. Intentionally restricting yourself from automatically using the best items and the best tactics opens up a whole dimension to the game that most veteran players never see.

That's why I'm glad we have a guild like the Militia on this server, they're not saying that you have to play like them or else you suck, they're just offering an alternate way to play the game and experience it in a new light.
<Zedd[afk> if theres ever a uosa convention and you pked me once ur getting ran over with a truck

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

Donk wrote:That's why I'm glad we have a guild like the Militia on this server, they're not saying that you have to play like them or else you suck, they're just offering an alternate way to play the game and experience it in a new light.
Actually, they kinda' are. You can change your guild rules to follow their Laws of War, or you can't really interact with them (example, if you kill them, they'll give you murder counts unless you're using the same gear). I think that was Kyd's point - the "our way or the highway" philosophy will isolate them and keep any sort of community forming unless these "laws" are agreed upon by all interested guilds, not one guild who comes along and says "do this or we won't highlight/war".

While the LoW (and other rules of engagement) worked on OSI shards, there were also 500+ role-players and several thousand players to interact with on a regular basis "back then". There's more to an era than mechanical accuracy; the playerbase has changed, the genre has changed, role-play has changed, and the times in general have changed. I just don't see them working that way anymore, at least not without multiple guilds agreeing to it.

Either way, sorry for derailing your thread, PoE! Good luck on the high seas!
Gone to greener pastures.

Mark Stoneholme

Van Raily wrote:Actually, they kinda' are.
[OOC: We're not. Just as this shard is re-enacting era accuracy, Mlt is attempting to revive CoY-era roleplay. The good thing about UOSA is that people absolutely can interact with us without being at war thanks to the Felucca ruleset (multiple people have contacted Mlt to arrange tasks and events), but using the war system has its advantages.

As stated quite a number of times now, the LoW was initially formulated between three guilds; and those guilds went on to be successful within this era, and gave hundreds of people years of enjoyment - I can't see why any further negotiations would need to be made when bringing the LoW along with Mlt's birth, considering the LoW's successful history? If you agree with it, join it; if you don't - Don't?

Mlt as a guild chose to follow a certain ruleset; and welcomes others who wish to do the same. Just as CoY, CoRE, and ERPA differed; we're not asking existing role-play guilds to change their ways. We're simply forming the starting line of a 'new' community, that everyone is welcome to join.

The big question I'd ask is if you want to ride on horseback, use magery without restrictions and arm yourselves to the teeth with vanquishing weapons - Then by all means feel free to; the LoW clearly isn't for you - So why the fuss over it?

Play servers with the rulesets you want to play on.
Join guilds you want to play in.
Join communities you agree with; and don't join the ones you don't - But leave those who do get enjoyment from it to their own devices.]
Kind Regards,

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

I guess it really comes down to whatever makes you happy. If it works for you then keep on doing it. Mlt will probably remain a small guild and I respect their efforts, it's RP and they're sticking to their concept so more power to them for that.

Mark Stoneholme

[OOC: Thanks Kyd - 3 new Recruits today and counting... Feel free to jump on board *Grins*]
Kind Regards,

theselkie

Post by theselkie »

Ye gallavantin' pirates still be adding members to yer ranks? I be a greenhorn in need of a crew to start some trouble with.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

theselkie wrote:Ye gallavantin' pirates still be adding members to yer ranks? I be a greenhorn in need of a crew to start some trouble with.
aye we are .. however Our fearless Leader is on a lil Vacation so we have to wait till he gets back

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room