A question about fishing

Topics related to Second Age
Your_Ugly_Mom

A question about fishing

Post by Your_Ugly_Mom »

Hello !

Never was a fisher, usually bought the fine things i needed in the older days. But here i want to try to fish them up myself. Especially im looking for the metal chests, where can i find these chests ???

Greetings
Your Ugly Mom

Krats

Re: A question about fishing

Post by Krats »

Welcome to UOSA!

To fish up anything other than Fish, Footwear, and serpents you must be a GM Fisher.
Chest, Paintings, Clocks, ect are all pulled up from MIBs/SOS Bottle, so you must first aquire an MIB(GM Fishing required to have a chance at fishing an MIB).

You can purchase a MIB from someone else, generally between 1-5k, and I believe a fisherman of 80 skill can actually fish the MIB location.
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

Your_Ugly_Mom

Post by Your_Ugly_Mom »

Thx !

YUM

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

Two quick add ons:
- I think the lvl needed for MiBs is more like 70 than 80 (but I'm not 100%).
- At around 90 you can start fishing up lvl 1 treasure maps.

If you need and help getting your fisherman set up, let me know. Sadly, fishing is one of my favorite pastimes in UO.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

Your_Ugly_Mom

Post by Your_Ugly_Mom »

thx for your reply, too. Im at 44 fishing now, what is best way to train it ?

YUM

Theograd

Post by Theograd »

I like the docks on the North East side of Jhelom (main island) myself. The docks split into three piers, and each pier has 5-6 fishing spots around it. By the time you fish out the third pier, the first pier is usually respawned.

Your_Ugly_Mom

Post by Your_Ugly_Mom »

To what skill it will bring you ?

YUM

Theograd

Post by Theograd »

92.6, or something like that? Beyond that, you need to fish on a boat in deep waters. If you're on land, you can fish unattended, since you can't get what is considered resources (just fish and shoes). Once you're in the ocean, you can't fish afk.

Krats

Post by Krats »

yep fishing from land should bring you to 92 - 94 I forget the exact limit.
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

Lord Cavewight of GL

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

Load your backpack with 125 items and you can AFK fish in deep water without breaking the rules.

When your backpack is loaded you dont pick up any fish or items. Great way to GM.

Krats

Post by Krats »

Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:Load your backpack with 125 items and you can AFK fish in deep water without breaking the rules.

When your backpack is loaded you dont pick up any fish or items. Great way to GM.
Doubt that would be acceptable, items would still drop to the boat (items on boat do not decay) and resources would still be gathered.

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Krats wrote:
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:Load your backpack with 125 items and you can AFK fish in deep water without breaking the rules.

Doubt that would be acceptable, items would still drop to the boat (items on boat do not decay) and resources would still be gathered.

No they would not. You would get a "your backpack is too full" message. and even the fish dropping to the floor of the boat, that's a razor thing, not a UO thing.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Krats

Post by Krats »

Rendar wrote:
Krats wrote:

No they would not. You would get a "your backpack is too full" message. and even the fish dropping to the floor of the boat, that's a razor thing, not a UO thing.
I'm at work and unable to test, but im pretty sure if you have a full backpack (125 items) if you fish up anything else it will drop to the ground/boat. I know this applies to trade skills, because my house was full of heating lamps when i macroed tinkering overnight.

Will test this when i make it home to confirm though

***EDIT*** I Tested it will 125 Items in pack, received msg "You do not have room in your backpack for a fish." and received no fish in pack or on boat.. I was wrong, glad i was proven wrong
Last edited by Krats on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

Your_Ugly_Mom wrote:thx for your reply, too. Im at 44 fishing now, what is best way to train it ?
Pretty much just pick a spot and fish repeatedly. Town docks are good, because since you aren't deep water fishing (and can go afk), you are much less likely to get killed. I made a macro that walked me back and forth on the dock, fishing off of each side. That way I was less likely to get the "The fish don't seem to be biting here" message.

Also, once you hit 93ish, you can GM from $$$ docks. They extend into deep water. The only thing is (like everyone has said) you can't afk macro here, because you will be able to fish up T-Maps. Plus, you probably don't want to, seeing as how you can get killed and stuff.

Just remember that it takes FOREVER to go from 93-100. It sucks, but just keep plugging away. The reward is totally worth it. I've made the vast majority of my money here fishing up MiBs. The risk/reward ratio is awesome!
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

Your_Ugly_Mom

Post by Your_Ugly_Mom »

thx for all your answers here...

YUM