Something to consider about this game

Topics related to Second Age
Psilo

Re: Something to consider about this game

Post by Psilo »

Faust wrote:I'm still quite shocked that more people didn't jump the wagon on this one to my amazement. The current system was griped about so much(especially weapon cycling) when the arm/disarm delay and correct speed adjustment to wrestling was implemented, one would have to assume the new changes would have people jumping for joy. This is even the Divinity type of people that don't care about accuracy. The original swing timer elapses while on the move similar to the RunUO distro package shards such as Div.

The only difference between the two are the swings not holding in a held state due to the range check that wasn't implemented until UOR. A good key reason why insta hit during the UOR never resembled the real deal even when you discard some of those bad UOR mechanics that didn't exist in t2a. There are other differences obviously such as a much better developed timer process instead of that generic date based system built into the distro packages of RunUO.

People will now have the ability to chase after someone and hit them on the run. The current system requires you to stop and wait for the timer to finish until a weapon holds in a held state. A hally won't be able to machine gun every 2 seconds. Players will eventually start playing less defensive(era accurate) due to lesser dps taking place with the hallys. Trying to pull of 'weapon cycling' with the new timer will take a huge amount of skill compared to the current process. Also, the double hit exploit appears to be possible.

The server is just making one huge inconsistent inaccuracy, accurate. People will hate it at first but they will get used to it when they realize it's not as bad as they are thinking it will be. Don't judge a book by its cover.
+1 in Era Accuracy.

Everyone read this quoted post. This is it, things are getting better. I think being able to kill runners will bring back many old pvpers and perhaps make pvp more fun and accessible for those who aren't even good at it. The current mechanics can be learned, but are they fun or accurate?(the hally spams).

This patch is going to be great. 8)

Pro

Post by Pro »

Ill play as long as the system doesn't get too retarded

Faust

Post by Faust »

What is your definition of retarded?

Axel231

Post by Axel231 »

Faust wrote:What is your definition of retarded?
Attachments
as.jpg
as.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 1256 times

Faust

Post by Faust »

I can say with a high level of confidence that there will be no little midget retards wearing superman costumes when the patch goes live.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Faust wrote: People will now have the ability to chase after someone and hit them on the run. The current system requires you to stop and wait for the timer to finish until a weapon holds in a held state.
how will it be easier to kill someone on the run if you have to be within range to swing the moment the swing timer elapses?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Okay, follow me now son.. follow me. Going to provide a small example for you to hopefully understand this now.

Current System
Scenario: Explosion, ebolt, swing hally... opponent screens at 10% hp.

Will this hally delay elapse when you go to chase your opponent?
No

How can you swing on the move if this delay doesn't elapse?
You can't.

Does this mean you would have to make frequent or complete stops altogether in order for this swing to ever be ready again?
Yes.

Conclusion, you can't chase someone without ever stopping and swing with the current system.

Original System
Scenario: Same example

Will this delay elapse while moving?
Yes.

Will you have to be next to your target to swing at them, and will this timer restart if not in range?
Yes.

Does this mean you can't swing while on the move?
No.

So this does mean there is a chance to hit while moving?
Yes.

Conclusion, you can swing while running without ever stopping and still have a chance to hit your target while chasing them with a weapon.

Nobody said it would be a piece of cake but it will be possible at least. Again, there are quirks to the original timer that can be manipulated. Would highly suggest that you make an effort to understand the timer if you really want to know the full extent of it. A good example would be with archery. The 'plant and shoot' feature can stall the swing timer allowing for a shot to take place with in 2 seconds of stopping(including the damage delay).

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

ive read the code and i know how it works. its complicated though and i can imagine, as you say, there will be some quirks that are difficult to see from just looking at the code. for me at least.

platypus

Post by platypus »

I'm 100% behind Faust on this one. Make these changes happen soon plz. I don't even bother PvPing anymore because everyone does the EXACT same defensive thing (hally swings and interrupts, maybe an ebolt or two). It is also nearly impossible for gank squads and especially dexxers to kill anyone who runs and doesn't stop running, unless they use wands or perfectly timed explosions.

I think the "original style" mechanics will make PvP much less item-based, as it is now, and more skill-based, as it should be. Right now field PvP seems like it boils down to whoever has the best hally or who does the lame wrestling timer shit the most consistently.

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

I agree, field PvP will get ALOT better and tank vs. tank duels will have to be settled by the best 5X dueler not the best hally machinegunner. It's going to get a good deal closer to authentic T2A combat.