Principles of "Accuracy"

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Principles of "Accuracy"

Post by Mens Rea »

As a matter of an evolving principle I propose some type of system for deciding when/where to implement changes to the shard.

There are many disputed changes where either way could be considered to be accurate to the "T2A" era.

There are no specific dates or cutoff points as to where to take from and where not to.

There are no specific rules as to what types of changes should be implemented presumptively, and what types of changes should be exceptions to the presumption.

This type of "constitution" if you will would promote accuracy by defining it further, and allowing for a degree of precedent to be followed where contentious changes arise.

Let's say for instance a change is proposed that affects the balance of PvP, but is from the later stages of T2A and the majority of people do not want it. Should the change be implemented presumptively, simply because it is pre:UOR? Is Pre:UOR the cut-off point?

This is in contrast to a change, such as the cutting of singular bandages, which for anyone who played for the majority of T2A is probably part of the nostalgia (and a great cash cow on vendors), which most people don't want but is deep seated in the early-to-middle stages of T2A. Should this type of change be implemented presumptively, even though it is from a different time to the change above? Does the fact that it does not affect PvP mean it should be implemented more easily?

Should changes to the shard for "accuracy" be divided up into classes/catagories, and the implementation of the changes be considered by an overbearing process defined by their class/catagory?

Populus

Re: Principles of "Accuracy"

Post by Populus »

There are no specific dates or cutoff points as to where to take from and where not to.
There are. I don't know them tho. I think it's 98-99 ?

There are no specific rules as to what types of changes should be implemented presumptively, and what types of changes should be exceptions to the presumption.
Was it there during t2a and match our dates it's going to be here, unless it's a "Game breaking bug".

Should changes to the shard for "accuracy" be divided up into classes/catagories, and the implementation of the changes be considered by an overbearing process defined by their class/catagory?
I like this sorta, but it'd be too hard to control/decide what to keep and what not. I wonder what Derrick would say about this.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

rouss

Post by rouss »

However, some of your points are invalid, I agree. Changes made in Nov '99 were transforming T2A into Renaissance. Some of changes are anti-griefing, that almost completely destroy a certain type of in-game activity, some of them — not... Derrick said that our cut off date is Nov '99, so be it, although, I'm a bit negative on that.
Last edited by rouss on Mon May 24, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stuck »

I kind of agree that we should have some kind of supreme law that determines what gets implemented and what gets thrown out, some method by which we determine, not necessarily what's accurate and what's not, but what should be implemented.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

As an aside, I didn't pull the term "Accuracy" out of nowhere...

"Second Age is the most accurate emulation of the UO: T2A era online today..."
http://www.uosecondage.com/

"...I love the T2A ruleset and love UOSA's accurate emulation of it...",
"So, thanks for creating such a good shard, accurate to the T2A era..."
http://www.uosecondage.com/Testimonials.aspx

"...only on UOSA can you find unmatched accuracy to the greatest age of UO - T2A.", and in particular,
"Era accuracy is our top priority."
http://www.uosecondage.com/features.aspx

...and these are just a few examples of the term used on the main page of the shard.

The term is used over and over again throughout the forums (by admins and players) as well, but the meanings and decisions on what exactly is accurate are always different.

I'm asking for ideas on what should be involved in creating a scheme whereby changes are implemented in a predictable way to protect the stated ideal of accuracy.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Throwing in various systems that didn't exist in one or the other would create a version of t2a that never existed.

The cutoff date is November '99 for a reason.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

People also need to remember that there were a lot of changes made within the era accurate time, so many decisions are weighed on what will be best for the players and the shard, depending on what those changes were.

For instance, if something was changed in the middle of the T2A era, the admin essentially has two choices to choose from on that topic, whether to go with the pre patch or the post patch.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Downs

Post by Downs »

I hope this doesn't turn into a trash talk thread, it has potential to be a very good discussion.

Especially when getting closer to the cutoff, but even inside our target range; should we be looking at it as "Was this in preparation for UO:R, Trammel, and all that goes with it?"
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Faust

Post by Faust »

The current target date in my opinion can't really be up for discussion unless you were to extend it. We are too far into it now to turn around and go backwards. Runebooks are a part of the November '99 timeframe and it's something that would either...

1. Wipe or delete the books forcing everyone to lose the contents.
2. Keep the books and grandfather them that would end being quite detrimental to the goal of the shard since the majority of these books will stay locked down forever in houses or stored in banks.

The same would apply to potion kegs too.

The only other option is to extend the time frame that would force the new housing system that Derrick has stated many times will never ever get implemented into this shard... He has some deeply rooted hate for that system. :wink:

The next option is to create a version of t2a that never existed. Something that will never happen unless Derrick died and someone else took over the shard that didn't care about replicating the era or in other words this will never happen.