Real Skill vs. Shown Skill

Moderator: Support Moderators

Commodore Axavious

Real Skill vs. Shown Skill

Post by Commodore Axavious »

I understand that clicking "show real" on skills shows me how many of my 700 points the skill is taking. But, this other number, the higher number that is displayed when "show real" is off... is this the number that the game uses to actually calculate the effect of my skill?

EG, at my current 55.4 "real" magery, it says 58. When I cast a spell, are my chances to succeed based on 58 magery? Are these just free skillpoints?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Real Skill vs. Shown Skill

Post by Rammar »

The higher of the numbers is your stat-adjusted skill. They are essentially bonus skill-points based on how high each skill's associated stat is.

Keep in mind they have diminishing effect the higher your (real) skill gets, at GM real == shown.

The "shown" value is the only one that matters for skill-use -- "real" is just for keeping an eye on your skill-cap.

mrredhatter

Post by mrredhatter »

After reading the previous answer to this post I still feel that the question is unanswered. Or at least unanswered in a way that would be understandable for someone of my intelligence. If I use a skill that says that's it's at fifty points but there are no "real" points associated with it, what should I expect?

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

mrredhatter wrote:After reading the previous answer to this post I still feel that the question is unanswered. Or at least unanswered in a way that would be understandable for someone of my intelligence. If I use a skill that says that's it's at fifty points but there are no "real" points associated with it, what should I expect?
In your example it will go off 50. Shown skill is what is used for the skill checks.

Downs

Post by Downs »

certain skills provide a boost to other skills. eval int raises your magery i believe (either eval int or meditation).

These numbers are nowhere near exact, but say you make a new toon with 50 magery & you GM eval int first. Your real magery will be at 50, but with the bonus from eval int, your shown magery will be at 60, allowing you to cast as if you had 60 magery.
Keep in mind they have diminishing effect the higher your (real) skill gets, at GM real == shown.
This means, as you macro magery up and get closer to 100 magery, your bonus won't always be 10 to magery. The bonus gets smaller and smaller as you approach GM.

Hopefully that helps
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Return to “New Player Help”