A discussion question about server-wide skill gain

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

A discussion question about server-wide skill gain

Post by Mens Rea »

I was reading through the Taming Archive, again, and stumbled upon something which made me vaguely remember something about skill gain during T2A.
Switching Servers

Some believe that some servers give more skill than others. By switching servers, you can move from less populated to more populated servers and vice versa. However, skill gain was disconnected from shardwide usage back in early 2000. This meant that the more a skill was being used, the harder it was to raise. This is no longer the case.
http://www.tamingarchive.com/faqs/superstitions.php

So, during T2A was there some kind of skill-gain "pool" which meant that if a skill was being used more frequently on the shard then there was less skill gain to go around in that skill?

I seem to recall discussion/mention of this back in T2A but never fully understood it or its effects.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: A discussion question about server-wide skill gain

Post by Hemperor »

Mens Rea wrote:I was reading through the Taming Archive, again, and stumbled upon something which made me vaguely remember something about skill gain during T2A.
Switching Servers

Some believe that some servers give more skill than others. By switching servers, you can move from less populated to more populated servers and vice versa. However, skill gain was disconnected from shardwide usage back in early 2000. This meant that the more a skill was being used, the harder it was to raise. This is no longer the case.
http://www.tamingarchive.com/faqs/superstitions.php

So, during T2A was there some kind of skill-gain "pool" which meant that if a skill was being used more frequently on the shard then there was less skill gain to go around in that skill?

I seem to recall discussion/mention of this back in T2A but never fully understood it or its effects.
Yes there was, this is easily demonstrated in Batlin's "hacked" demo.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat