Housing Problem this morning, and the revert

Topics related to Second Age
Derrick

Housing Problem this morning, and the revert

Post by Derrick »

We had to do a four hour revert this morning back to the last off-site server save prior to the shard restart which was at 6:11am (gmt-5) to fix a problem with housing.

This is the biggest revert, and also the most serious issue that's ever occurred on Second Age. I apologize for the trouble and don't expect anything like this to happen again.

I'm wholly sympathetic and aware of how much time 4 hours is and believe me I was horrified to have to do this. I really appreciate everyone's understanding and patience, no ones really gone off the handle about this.

CougarNut

Re: Housing Problem this morning, and the revert

Post by CougarNut »

Thanks for the prompt action! :o

Elemir

Post by Elemir »

Why did we have to revert? Could this not have been fixed. I would rather the server be down for an hour to fix some scripting or code than lose all my work from an entire nights playing. I got more done last night than in my entire last week playing.

Adria

Post by Adria »

I'm with elemir... why did we have to revert instead of fixing it. Myself and my friends, which are quite new to the server, got together for an all-nighter *something that doesnt occur easy due to wives and kids* and we farmed destard all night to try and get enough for a house. At the end of the night we collectively had about 150k ... now we have about 40ish ... not even enough for a small house let alone the 2 story or 3 room we were aspiring for.

Morticus

Post by Morticus »

He made the right choice. Good work on the quick fix Der.

venox

Post by venox »

yes an unfortunate happening.
but the best choice.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We had to revert because items that were stored in houses decayed, and house commands did not work this morning resulting in utter chaos, the extent of which I'm probably not even aware. We did fix the code, but without the revert we'd have had a shard full of empty houses, and other losses related to insecure housing. I know this probably doesn't mean much to those who don't have a house but this was the only way to squarely fix the problem. I know a four hour revert is huge and I'm very sympathetic to those who lost that time. This was honestly the only solution to restore the server to a stable state.

Adria

Post by Adria »

Understandable that you would have to reset; needs of the many over needs of the few..... us new players w/o houses just dont matter. It still sux for those of us who spent more time last night than we'll have in the next few weeks playing. Anyway its been a fun week but i guess UO was just not meant to be. Myself and my friends are most likely out. Good luck everyone.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Adria wrote:Understandable that you would have to reset; needs of the many over needs of the few..... us new players w/o houses just dont matter. It still sux for those of us who spent more time last night than we'll have in the next few weeks playing. Anyway its been a fun week but i guess UO was just not meant to be. Myself and my friends are most likely out. Good luck everyone.
What time zone are you? This happened early morning EST around server restart. There was only 4 hours lost from around 10am back to 6am EST. The daily restart occurs at around 7:30am EST. Not a whole lot could have been achieved around the time this incident happened. This sort of problem was a daily routine back then on the OSI servers. If you think this was bad you have no idea how bad it was on the actual EA servers.

Doogie Howser MD

Post by Doogie Howser MD »

I dont think you could accurately judge a server by one event. When I played on OSI form the first days UO was released and right after the BETA there were ALWAYS time warps where this would happen. This is the first big thing I've seen happen on this server since I've been on here (since early spring of this year). And the fact that you lost 150k is bad but come on its not the end of the world. Kylock stole a tower deed off me once! If the 150k lost really means you are going to leave then just PM me and I'll replace it for you. That way justice and mercy can be served:)

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

Adria wrote:Understandable that you would have to reset; needs of the many over needs of the few..... us new players w/o houses just dont matter. It still sux for those of us who spent more time last night than we'll have in the next few weeks playing. Anyway its been a fun week but i guess UO was just not meant to be. Myself and my friends are most likely out. Good luck everyone.
Doogie Howser MD wrote:If the 150k lost really means you are going to leave then just PM me and I'll replace it for you. That way justice and mercy can be served:)
you dont owe this man shit Doogie. so he lost 4 hours of game play time. boo hoo. i remember loosing an entire days worth of farming on OSI servers at times. a 4 hour revert is not bad at all. and 150k? come on. with a 7x provoker you can make that in an hour or 2. if i were you i would be glad that this server has such a dedicated staff that they noticed the problem promptly and that we only lost 4 hours. i can promise you on just about any other free shard this would have gone on for at least a whole day probably. if your going to quit over 4 hours of lost game play then go ahead. you and your friends are probably not cut out for a game like UO anyways. quit trying to get sympathy from the GM's who work their asses off on this server for NO MONEY AT ALL!! u ungrateful retard :x

Razukel

Post by Razukel »

Hey Doogie, i sent you a pm saying i lost 300k and 4 house deeds :P i didn't really....just thought your generosity would transfer to someone else. I logged off in the inn last night and came on this morning and was back at my house so i just assumed i went crazy. Now I have an official explanation.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

4 hours at 6 in the morning aint jack .com
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Doogie Howser MD

Post by Doogie Howser MD »

The fact of the matter is this server is run better than any of the osi servers were. Here are my reasons:

- You actually know the staff. As such, each player can participate in making suggestions and give helpful insight that is constantly being reviewed from day to day by the staff.
- Staff involvement. I can't believe how much time the staff of Secondage spend in maintenance, improvements, and putting on events etc...
- Diverse community. This server does not limit itself to promote a certain gameplay (pking, roleplaying, townkillers etc...)
- All this and.. It's FREE

So I guess I just wanted to put my two cents in to persuade anyone from evaluating this server by only a few hours. I want it to grow and it's remarkable to log on and see almost 400 clients online but there is no lag. It's awesome... I'm finally addicted to UO again, thank you secondage.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Yea lets be dramatic.

So you got a bad roll and chose to play at the wrong time. You'll get over it, cya in-game.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink: