More like a question for the developers ...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Jaster

More like a question for the developers ...

Post by Jaster »

I understand this is a T2A shard and that the moto of the shard is to make it as close to the way it was ....

but ...

... if something didn't make sense in that era or handicapped a certain aspect of the game to make it pointless to play/use, why keep it and implement it? if 90% of the shard mechanics are based off of official T2A information and other 10% are hot fixes to certain game mechanics that were terrible or made no sense during the T2A era, it is not going to lose its T2A feel. The game has patches for a reason ... to fix bugs and stupid systems that don't make sense or make things pointless.

I'm kinda curious to see how the developers of this shard feel about a topic like this. Is this server going to recreate the flaws of T2A? or are those flaws going to be changed to increase diversity in game play?

Derrick

Re: More like a question for the developers ...

Post by Derrick »

There are a wide variety of examples to this question, and likewise a number of different ways to answer it.

For example. House break-in bugs that may have existed in era will be fixed. Duping items is not possible on second age, although it was in era. Many other less exploitive bugs have been preserved.

Did you have a more specific example(s) for this question? It's pretty hard to answer.

Faust

Re: More like a question for the developers ...

Post by Faust »

Aye, the question is a bit vague. I will answer it in a sense that I'm assuming that you mean with the question. My personal opinion is that the stupid little things that made the era has boundaries. The line should be drawn when it exploits another player, render the game practically impossible to play, and so forth. For example, house break in bugs and duping bugs as Derrick explained. At least 99% of the people played on 56k back then. Should we render the person to run/motivate at that speed rate? I would aboslutely never consider something like that. The list can practically go on with no end in sight.

However, when it comes to game mechanics such as Monster AI, old menus and gumps, loot, slow procedures involving items, and as stated for the opposite part of the spectrum the list can go on with no end in sight with this as well. This is how and what gave the t2a era it's glory. A great example of this is the so called Dread Lord days also known as pre-t2a. What made this particular era the best era of the game is how new everything was and yes how screwed up it was. Being able to gate an ancient wyrm into the bk room to kill the entire wall is very screwed up but it was what made the game fun. It wasn't just the "griefing" situations that made the game fun. It was the game mechanics of the era that made it.