stealth

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
resinbrawl

stealth

Post by resinbrawl »

just a suggestion about stealth and the way i remeber it. Seems like either you could use skill hiding then start walking which would automatically activate stealth. Or that the stealth skill itself would hide you if used and u could start moving. Having to use the hidding skill then wait an additonal 10 seconds for stealth dosn't seem the way i remeber it.

Faust

Re: stealth

Post by Faust »

Here is what it says under the stratics '99 web site and the '99 patch log, which stratics apparently took straight from the patch log.
You have to be hiding when you start to use the skill.
This is how I remember it working. Ony when you're hidden is when you are able to use the stealth skill.

resinbrawl

Post by resinbrawl »

ya exactly so once you hide, u can immediatly start walking in stealth there was no need to actually use the stealth skill, atleast this is what i remeber

Coffee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Coffee »

I don't remember it working like that at all. If this were ever the case, I'd imagine it was pre-t2a.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Here is some information about hiding and stealth from the March 28, 1999 patch notes:

Blue PK changes, fishing, and more Mar 28 1999 9:35AM CST
Hiding
  • You can no longer hide while casting a spell.
  • Using hiding sets the number of stealthy steps you can take to zero.
Stealth
  • Shoving past someone while stealthy will reveal you.
  • Snooping will reveal you.
  • You cannot stealth while riding a horse.
  • It will become substantially more difficult to start stealth when in the vicinity of other players.
    • The more players, the harder it will be.
    • They have to be within 10 paces to count against you.
    • Only players affect this, not NPCs.
    • This only affects when you start stealthing, not while you walk stealthed.
  • The number of steps you can take while stealthed has been halved.
This tells us that when hiding your available stealth steps were immediately set to zero. Whether this was originally the case when stealth was made available a month earlier, this update clearly sets the precedence that hiding sets the number of stealth steps to zero.

As a small side note, stealth was not available pre-T2A. It was added in to the game with the same patch that introduced the thieves guild on 2/24/98.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

can you cast invis and then start to stealth?
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

resinbrawl wrote:just a suggestion about stealth and the way i remeber it. Seems like either you could use skill hiding then start walking which would automatically activate stealth. Or that the stealth skill itself would hide you if used and u could start moving. Having to use the hidding skill then wait an additonal 10 seconds for stealth dosn't seem the way i remeber it.
I remember it being like that.. But not till after Patch 16/AoS was introduced.

Prior to that I remember it being hide then stealth with the pause in between the use of each skill.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Teknix wrote:can you cast invis and then start to stealth?
This should be possible if you have enough hiding skill to activate stealth. I haven't tried it yet, but I can later today (also a good reason to keep/use invis-clothing in some cases)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

crabjuice

Post by crabjuice »

Yes, you can cast invis and then stealth.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Stealth should work when you cast invisibility as long as you have greater than 80 hiding. Stealth, like any skill that requires previous skills to use, will always check to see if you pass the requirements for using the skill before even attempting to use it.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org