New character question

Moderator: Support Moderators

Khadgar81

New character question

Post by Khadgar81 »

I'm about to start a new char, I have no other characters (and gold) so this one must be a dexer to earn cash for house + regs for a future mage character.

Typically I would create 14 other chars that I would later delete from my three accounts to give me 1.5k all warriors for the aids. I'd then on my dexer macro all the easy skills like snooping / buy as many harder skills like mining etc until I hit my skill cap of 700.

I'd then use a technical call ping ponging to get 100 str / dex. This involves locking all skills apart from two, typically snoop (locked up) / arms lore (locked down). You then snoop until 10 skill, reverse the locks and arms lore until 10 (reducing snoop to 0) then reverse and start over. You macro this until your stats are 100 / 25 / 100.

After this I hit shame and earth eles for gold..

Will this approach work on this shard?

Khaddy

Pixelclicker

Re: New character question

Post by Pixelclicker »

Khadgar81 wrote:I'm about to start a new char, I have no other characters (and gold) so this one must be a dexer to earn cash for house + regs for a future mage character.

Typically I would create 14 other chars that I would later delete from my three accounts to give me 1.5k all warriors for the aids. I'd then on my dexer macro all the easy skills like snooping / buy as many harder skills like mining etc until I hit my skill cap of 700.

I'd then use a technical call ping ponging to get 100 str / dex. This involves locking all skills apart from two, typically snoop (locked up) / arms lore (locked down). You then snoop until 10 skill, reverse the locks and arms lore until 10 (reducing snoop to 0) then reverse and start over. You macro this until your stats are 100 / 25 / 100.
Yes, but an easier way is to just macro herding and snooping to GM, that will take your str and dex to 100 and there's no delay. You can use arms lore to finish up str if it's not quite 100. Then you can macro anatomy to GM in a couple days.
Khadgar81 wrote: After this I hit shame and earth eles for gold..

Will this approach work on this shard?

Khaddy
This part not so much. In fact, if you read the forums over the last year, you'll know without having tried it that mysteriously, 3.5 minutes after you enter Shame, three guys on nightmares from TG will ride exactly to where you are and ass rape you for your bone armor. Then, they will recall away to their tower and rub lotion on each other's privates to celebrate their great victory (this part they do IRL).

The reason for this (the first part, not the lotion thing they do) is that the same thing that would allow you to create 14 dummy characters to buy skills allows folks to leave what's known as a "ghost cam" or two at popular spots like Shame, Covetous, and a lot of other popular spots.

Don't believe me? Do what I did to see if a dexer was going to be worth the time. Put a bone helmet and a robe on, then recall (with nothing on you but a rune and a recall scroll) to Shame or some other dungeon spot with decent loot. Park yourself away from the monsters and go make a sandwich. By the time you come back, you'll be looking at a gray screen and three-five menus offering to hand out murder counts.

Honestly, your best bet for quick cash, though tedious, is mining/smithing or logging/bowcraft. You can semi-automate a lot of it through razor and nobody will be enjoying a rub-n-tug at your expense. Once you're a 7X THEN you can hit the dungeons and kill the noobs dumb enough to go there... :lol:
<@BoomlandJenkins> I got home, got on UO right away and I knew something was up before I even made it to the spawner, because there were 35+ in the Justice woods and not one person was PKing one another.

Khadgar81

Post by Khadgar81 »

Man that's kinda sad don't you think?! Are you saying that most of the dungeons are empty as pk's will just gank you?

I hate crafting for cash so I think I'll be seeing a few gray screens in the coming weeks :)

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

Hey bud do it like this

make a bard 50 magery 50 provo/or 50 resist str 10 dex 10 int 50

macro herding for stats at Zoo or wherever

macro music and provok at Zoo

in about 2 days you will be in the field

go to T2A hit up all the spots make your runes

in about 1 week u will have a small

start macroing a gm healer

about 2 weeks you'll have enough regs to start your hallymage

3 weeks youll be set

Thats the fast and easy way IMHO. Make your gy dexer to mess around on while your bard is macroing. You will have gold falling out of your pockets. Also if T2A hotspots are too pk hot just go overland for a bit. Anyway Id rather bard than craft fancy shirts or something but each to their own.
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous

Khadgar81

Post by Khadgar81 »

I've had provo chars before and they do earn the cash, so maybe I'll try that out with a 2nd client.

Do you know if you can provo shadow wyrms in this version? I know at some point it became impossible or near)

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Khadgar81 wrote:Man that's kinda sad don't you think?! Are you saying that most of the dungeons are empty as pk's will just gank you?

I hate crafting for cash so I think I'll be seeing a few gray screens in the coming weeks :)
Dude don't listen to that guy. PK's will jump you but it's simple to get away. Make the macro I gave you in the other thread and you'll be fine. Make sure you have at least 31 magery and cast recall from a scroll in the macro instead of casting it from your sepllbook and you'll be banking your loot and they'll be moving on to another spot to find someone else to PK.

dbl click recall scroll
pause 100 ms
dress invis item
target rune

This is probably 99% effective, even for a dexer.

Don't be afraid to go out and hunt, there are PK's here and they will try to kill you but that's what makes playing on this shard more fun than just playing on some trammelized server.

Pixelclicker

Post by Pixelclicker »

Khadgar81 wrote:Man that's kinda sad don't you think?! Are you saying that most of the dungeons are empty as pk's will just gank you?

That's exactly what I'm saying. And hey, if crafting isn't your thing and you don't mind getting killed repeatedly in order to give the gank squads their lotion fun, go the dexer or bard route.

Huzke wrote: dbl click recall scroll
pause 100 ms
dress invis item
target rune
Huzke, this is a nice macro, but with three to five guys running in with harm/ebolt/para precast, it won't be 99% effective, especially if your ping isn't top notch. The more likely outcome is that the Pks are going to end up with a nice expensive invis item in addition to the other equipment he's carrying.

Huzke wrote: Don't be afraid to go out and hunt, there are PK's here and they will try to kill you but that's what makes playing on this shard more fun than just playing on some trammelized server.
Yeah, but probably more fun for the ganker than the gankee, don't you think? :wink:
<@BoomlandJenkins> I got home, got on UO right away and I knew something was up before I even made it to the spawner, because there were 35+ in the Justice woods and not one person was PKing one another.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Your strategy in the original thread sounds good.

Personally, I'd actually go to Wrong instead of Shame... far less of a PK hotspot, and the monsters are easier. Earth Elementals do not have much gold here (150 on average?), and ogres and trolls are close to that.

If you can get a silver weapon (and you should be able to get some pretty cheaply), then Deceit dungeon becomes a pretty good choice too. Skeletons will allow you to quickly put together a suit of bone armor, and if you stick to the less-traveled areas (level 1 and 2) you should be able to kill the monsters quickly with a silver weapon. The PK threat on these levels is pretty low as well, and often times if you see them recall/gate in, they will have to go through some doors, around corners, etc., to get to you. So plenty of time to recall.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Huzke's advice is solid. They have exactly 100ms to try to interrupt your scroll, and as he said, you are 99% safe if you use it. I also agree with Mikel in regards to earth eles, they are not good enough loot.

What I would recomend to a new player is:

1.- make a char with 50 magery/49 med/1 musicianship, 10 STR, 10 DEX, 60 INT.
2.- start in Trinsic or Minoc
3.- macro herding overnight to raise stats to 100/25/100 (if you don't get there by the time you GM herding, get an axe, chop some wood, turn it into kindling and macro camping. 3 or 4 backpack fulls should be enough to get you to 100 STR, it should take you around 30 mins, and don't worry too much about INT)
4.- go to the stable and macro music and provo overnight (2 nights should get you over 85, which is enough for now)
5.- find a guard on in a secluded area of town and macro eval on him (Alt + click on the guard so you follow him in case he moves).
6.- find a way to get to Ocllo, and provo the overland spawn there, and most importantly the brigand/orc/ratman camps that have hostages (particularly on the W-NW part of the island, but you can find the coordinates to the camps posted in the bank's bulletin board). Do that for a day or two, depending on how much time you play (4-6 total hrs should get you close to 20k)
7.- when you have around 20k (preferably a bit more, closer to 25-30k), buy resist up to 30
8.- join the mages guild (say join to any NPC mage guildmaster, and he'll ask for 500gps to join) and buy 60 fire field regs and around 250 Greater Heal regs
9.- get a friend to cast GHeal on you while you run through a fire field (jump on IRC chann #C^V if you need friends to help you), and do this until 55 resist.
10.- buy 1k lightning regs, and 2.5k e-bolt regs
11.- macro magery/meditation/resist using all those regs (follow this link for tips on setting up the macro), and use a newbie char on another account to heal you (the newbie char can start with 50 healing/50 anat, and include anatomy while you heal your main char. You'll have to do this inside a house, so look around forums for offers to coown you to a house)

After that you'll end up with a char with over 80 magery, 70 med/resist, and if you continued to macro provo on your down time, GM music and provo. A char like that is a cash cow, you can go to a ton of spots and make good money. Always bank whenyou get over 7k, and you will never loose too much to pks. Also, you might want to macro wrestling for good measure (and finish the rest of the cheap/free skills to macro), and you'll be set.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Pixelclicker wrote: Huzke, this is a nice macro, but with three to five guys running in with harm/ebolt/para precast, it won't be 99% effective, especially if your ping isn't top notch. The more likely outcome is that the Pks are going to end up with a nice expensive invis item in addition to the other equipment he's carrying.
You haven't even tried this macro have you? The ONLY chance they'll have to stop you from getting your recall off with this macro is to be absolutely flawless with detect hidden and already being 0 tiles away from you spamming last target AND they have to actually hit you to do it (meaning you'd have to have 0 wrestling or fail the wrestling vs melee check).

It's almost impossible for a PK or even a group of PK's to stop someone from getting away if that macro is used correctly.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

How do you pause for 100ms in between two actions? Shouldn't it be a minimum of 1000ms? I thought using a scroll was considered an action, and thus used the action delay.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

I was thinking the same thing but figured that using jewelry may not be considered for the delay. It's a dress action and not really a "use" or double click action.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Khadgar81

Post by Khadgar81 »

Thanks for the responses guys, looking forward to starting ;)

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Malaikat wrote:I was thinking the same thing but figured that using jewelry may not be considered for the delay. It's a dress action and not really a "use" or double click action.
This is why I always assumed it works. I use gate scrolls when I'm hunting with my tamer buddy and I use the same macro as well so I'm invis'd while casting gate from a scroll and he can get his dragons out. Works like a charm.

Pixelclicker

Post by Pixelclicker »

Huzke wrote:This is why I always assumed it works. I use gate scrolls when I'm hunting with my tamer buddy and I use the same macro as well so I'm invis'd while casting gate from a scroll and he can get his dragons out. Works like a charm.
I said it was a nice macro, I just don't think it's going to work 99% of the time in all situations.

First, it depends on you getting it off before you're paralyzed. If they hit you first, it not only won't work but you'll be caught in your own macro as they attack.

There are other problems with it that make it less than 99% effective for a lot of players. You're probably sitting at the bottom of the lich lord pit or at Covetous gazers with your dragons, where would-be PK's have to go through doors or around twisty tunnels to get you - giving you the time to hit the button before they land their first shot.

You're also not personally engaged with the monster, with magic reflect down and at 3/4 health like a dexer would be. Finally, invis items aren't exactly cheap or easy to find - especially for a newbie struggling to scrape bandages and armor together.

Again, NICE MACRO!!!!! It can't hurt to add to one's defense complement, but it's not the panacea for being pked you're making it out to be. Maybe some folks from TG or WL who have 800+ kills apiece could let us know if they find invis items on their victims?

EDIT: More importantly, maybe Khadgar could let us know if he found finding/using invis items as you suggest is a viable option at his level of newbieness.