"How did you resist all of that?!"

Share stories and special moments with the community.
Vhyx

"How did you resist all of that?!"

Post by Vhyx »

(Or, how a bard learned that magic is not an effective weapon in town).

Sadly I only have one screenshot of the final outcome of this event. I will try to paint a clear picture with words alone, but given my low IQ and borderline typing skills I am unsure how well I'll do.

I was doing what I usually do in UO. Town kill people using newbie characters. Some folks may scoff at this as mere grief giving (they aren't wrong). However, every once in awhile I have amusing little encounters that remind me of why I think sandbox games are great.

My accomplice and I had ventured to Minoc. We'd cleaned out the stables and decided it was time to head over to the bank. Not many people there, but my partner did dispatch one individual quickly. Was it time to move on to more fertile hunting grounds? No.. not yet.

Enter Tyler Drago. A search of this person after our encounter yielded that he is but a humble bard. However, for a brief moment in time he was more than just a bard. He was a vigilante hell bent on righting the injustices of the world. He took on the mantle of super-l33t PvPer ready to strike out at the nearest grey player. If they're grey, they must be criminals (in my case-- absolutely).

While his heart was in the right place his methodology was completely wrong. Above his head appear the power words for explosion, energy bolt and flamestrike. I think to myself "Is this man daft? Does he mean to try to wizard me to death in town?"

Yes. Yes he did. I'm hit with a flurry of spells that deal 1 hit point of damage. His offense quickly turns into some kind of comical "defense". Queue the "Benny Hill" music. Imagine a couple of people on horseback running around in circles inside a building. Oh the chaos. Oh the huge manatee. Oh say can you see. Oh yeah.

My partner had blocked off the doors. There was no fleeing off screen. This would be settled Newbie a Bardo.

I retaliated against his attacks by using my 50 fencing and 50 tactics to unleash the fury of a newbie spear coated with deadly poison. My attacker and I ran in circles as I scored hit after hit, and the poison worked down his health. Not once did he try to cure. Not once did he try to heal. He simply tried to whittle me down with energy bolts and other such nonsense. I'll admit, he came close. He got me down to 1 hitpoint!(Could have tried to wrassle me or swing a stick-- wasn't until I saw he was a bard that things became clearer) However, it was for naught. Witness the end result.

A few seconds after I dispatched Tyler, some other hero decided to finish me off. Ghost Tyler then says to me "how did you resist all of that?!".

Ah, it all made sense. This poor soul did not understand game mechanics. I almost felt bad for him. Almost.
Last edited by Vhyx on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: "How did you resist all of that?!"

Post by Boondock_Saint »

An epic tale. Too bad there is no Minoc Police Departments.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Vhyx

Re: "How did you resist all of that?!"

Post by Vhyx »

There isn't a "Whatever Police Department" in Britannia that's capable of putting a stop to us, my friend. It's too easy to pull off dastardly things a couple screens away from where those fools are too busy doing perma-grey checks on idiot bank thieves. Perhaps if they did more than just hang out at the banks, they might actually catch some real criminals.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Return to “Tales of Adventure”