Housing Placement Rules, Currently not correct

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Housing Placement Rules, Currently not correct

Post by Kryptonical »

House Placement Rules: (from our wiki)

Five tiles from the front and back of the house must be completely clear of all other houses.

Currently this is not the case. Right now if you try to place a house in front of a tower (or any house) it does not start the 5 tiles, until AFTER the steps, which should not be included. So in this example to place directly in front of a tower you will need to have 7 (2 for the steps, then the normal 5) spaces in front of it. <---This is not correct for our era.

To explain a bit more. What is active right now on uosa is the mix of the t2a rules and the custom housing rules. Which did in fact count the steps.

Also there is a bug in the system as well. If you place a tower, then count 5 spaces BEHIND it, you can place another tower, effectively only having 3 tiles in between the front of your steps and the back of the other tower (which is correct, 5 spaces). So in fact you can have a tower 5 spaces in front/behind another tower, it just depends on which one is placed first.

To correct this we need to change the rules so that steps in front do not count towards the 5 tiles in front.

*when I say tower I'm referring to any and all housing

I'm going to upload some pictures to this as well just to give you a visual representation.

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Attachments
tower-grid.jpg
tower-grid.jpg (88.97 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
Last edited by Telamon on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Housing Placement Rules, Currently not correct

Post by Kryptonical »

Currently the housing rules are setup to be that of when custom housing was in effect. During the time of custom housing, steps were in fact included in the 5 tiles in front rule, effectively being 6 or 7 steps depending on the type of house of actual tiles that had to be in between a front wall of a house and the back wall of another house.

However, in t2a prior to custom housing the steps were not factored in. So a tower could be placed then 6 tiles from the wall another houses back wall could be.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I think this needs to be tested or verified as well. While there is no argument that what we have is not correct because apparently we're using one or the other rule for in front of or behind; I would not want to make a change on this until we have some evidence of what is correct.

I think it's possible the Demo can lend guidance here, but I'm not sure what the housing rules were in mid-98, or if there even were any.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

When did housing change so that there was a 5 tile seperation?

http://uo.stratics.com/shard/Great+Lake ... WIKs.shtml

ultra
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by ultra »

@
Last edited by ultra on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

ultra wrote:The current housing placement rules we use are not ERA accurate. We are following the January 2000 model - http://update.uo.com/design_146.html
In what way is UOSA using those placement rules? I know there is no gump confirming the placement of a house, and I'm PRETTY sure those plants don't stop placement (at least several of them don't, and have not for as long as I have been playing here.)
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

What era was it that you could place a house with a blocking item in the very centre tile? And if you marked the centre tile before you placed a house, you could recall straight into it too..
</derail>
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

ultra wrote:The current housing placement rules we use are not ERA accurate. We are following the January 2000 model - http://update.uo.com/design_146.html
fox_phyre wrote:In what way is UOSA using those placement rules?
The house preview target? Everything else seems to be correct?
[Uhh] Eo wrote:What era was it that you could place a house with a blocking item in the very centre tile? And if you marked the centre tile before you placed a house, you could recall straight into it too..
</derail>
I know it was possible to mark these runes pre-T2A. During the era I had a neighbor how never needed to use his door. However when I had my first home in the winter of '98 it was no longer possible to premark a house rune.

By blocking item, do you mean protruding through the floor? I don't recall ever encountering this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

It might have even only been the small white/grey rock, I googled it when I joined UOSA and couldn't find any info :(

It didn't protrude, the house just popped over it.
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

[Uhh] Eo wrote:It might have even only been the small white/grey rock, I googled it when I joined UOSA and couldn't find any info :(

It didn't protrude, the house just popped over it.
This is only speculation, but it's possible that one didn't block at all. I had one agaist the foundation of the first house I placed on chessie. I wish I had a pic.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

There were houses along the western fence of the brit graveyard on Greatlakes during T2A.

I was always surprised because that area is full of rocks and stuff. Is it possible that rocks and other things that stop placement only stop placement if its on the border of the house (edges) and anything that blocks in the center is ignored?
[broken image]

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”