Housing : Discouraging turn off...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Housing : Discouraging turn off...

Post by Hicha »

Housing is also an investment opportunity; gold in the bank isnt making any money for me, but if i happen to see a nice housin spot, its a good chance to put a deed down and make some quick cash on resell.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

Indeed! People are even SELLING smalls in half decent locations! I remember when I started, I couldn't sell a dungeon entrance small for deed+5k :P
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

smart86

Post by smart86 »

I just placed three smalls only seconds away from Vesper guard zone. If you are still looking for a house I could sell one to you for a little over deed and if you are really strapped I would just give you the spot. Really nice location though, surprised nobody has picked them up. Let me know if you are in need.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

New players bitch about housing on every freeshard ive seen. Make some gold and you can buy anything you want. People also always bitch that ancient vets have more then them on every shard ive played. While i am an ancient vet there are those like telemon who are realativly new yet uber rich. Also in the same way its your dream to have placed a big house here maybe it was someone elses to have 15. This is era accurate and you are complaining about something tht cant be changed which since you are qouting the shard advertisments you should already know era accuraxy takes pesidence over all things on this shard. Not to mention housing keeps the economy and trade forums active.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

I don't get the whining, either. In the time I've played here I've always thought the housing market to be healthy, and fair. I bought my first house, which was in an excellent mining spot, within a few hours of deciding I was going to be serious about playing here. Chopped enough wood to trade for the house. Easy.

Too many new players come here with the expectation that they'll be able to place in that nostalgic dream location. Perhaps they have the idea in their head that because a free shard doesn't have the same, large populations as the production shards-- land will be easy to come by.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

rwuser

Post by rwuser »

I think most people here are wilfully blind to this issue because they project their own reasons for having hordes of houses onto others who complain about it.

To be honest, the way things *are* are the way things *are* around here and that is OK. If you feel guilty about having a ton of houses and have the need to justify it to people around you; then thats on your consience and yours only.

Despite; it should *not* detract from the reality of the situation and why this is an "issue": Back in the day people could put up with thousands of players who *might* be lucky to have one house or if they have been around for a very long time, a castle or something more. What they can't put up with is a shard full of people who claim to be trying to re-create that era yet multiple people dominate single areas with housing. What it says to new people to this shard is basically this "I am going to deny you a place because I can" and gives a *very* , *very* bad impression on this shard and its general populance. It shows a general lack of self-control and understanding of other people and human culture in general. Most people will act willfully ignorant of this fact and act as though everthing is ok, just because they are *not* in the position these new players are; the problem is that this is a known psychological condition among humans and its something worthy to be aware of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

The core issue really is that placing a house is a very personal thing because of how conditions were back in the day, to attempt to deny new players that right removes a very important piece of the UO culture and does damage to the shard as a whole. Currently as a community, we are forcing a change in culture/ideaology for people who came from the old UO days and it seriously does not sit well with the majority of players.

The result being is that the shard is currently stuck in a catch22 of sorts: Multiple accounts with multiple houses gives the illusion of lots of players, which at first keeps people interested; but its the very fact that there are too many houses owned by too few which prevents further growth of the shard (because once the illusion wares off...).

With the current setup this cycle can not be broken and the shard will grow no further, but look at it as an opportunity to possibly be aware of something you were not aware of before and also a challenge to your own assumed "life-style" in-game.

8)

smart86

Post by smart86 »

To anyone who thinks housing is an issue:

You are wrong. There are many many places to place small houses still. While you may not get the opportunity to place

your very own castle or tower or maybe even Lshape. This does not mean the world of T2A is against you. You can buy

houses here for Deed +10k. I've seen it even on L Shapes and Brick's. The fact that you can't "place your own house"

shouldn't make it any less enjoyable for you. The reality of this shard is that is as close as any shard has ever gotten to

era accuracy. So you can't place a tower, cry me a river. I placed my own small. I saved up the cash to get to an L

Shape, then I switched to a tower when I saved money. Mind you this is with long periods of not playing. I don't even

play that often and especially don't play by hoarding gold non stop. I place my first small in Moonglow many months ago

and placed several smalls a few days ago. There is still plenty of housing for smalls. Thats what you should start at

anyways. People just remove their smalls when they move all the time. There are smalls all over the place. If you are

the type of player that can't walk around a bit to find places, you aren't the type of player I want on my shard

anyways. You want something? GO GET IT!

TheManWithNoName

Post by TheManWithNoName »

rwuser wrote:The core issue really is that placing a house is a very personal thing because of how conditions were back in the day, to attempt to deny new players that right removes a very important piece of the UO culture and does damage to the shard as a whole. Currently as a community, we are forcing a change in culture/ideaology for people who came from the old UO days and it seriously does not sit well with the majority of players.
really? sits fine with me and i played in the old days. i have been here 2 months and have placed 4 different smalls and even moved into a large brick after getting in contact with the owner who was just refreshing it. sounds to me like you are lazy; should i link the wiki page on that condition for you?

THERE ARE PLENTY OF SPOTS TO PLACE A SMALL HOUSE HERE STILL! this is a fact. if you can't make enough gold to afford a small house deed, if you are too lazy to walk around and actually FIND a spot, then maybe you should look at yourself before complaining about the housing market here. oh, and the housing market? seriously? at any given time, in the past 2 months, i have seen every TYPE of house come up for sale in the trading post.
IRC: NoName

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

TheManWithNoName wrote:really? sits fine with me and i played in the old days. i have been here 2 months and have placed 4 different smalls and even moved into a large brick after getting in contact with the owner who was just refreshing it. sounds to me like you are lazy; should i link the wiki page on that condition for you?

THERE ARE PLENTY OF SPOTS TO PLACE A SMALL HOUSE HERE STILL! this is a fact. if you can't make enough gold to afford a small house deed, if you are too lazy to walk around and actually FIND a spot, then maybe you should look at yourself before complaining about the housing market here. oh, and the housing market? seriously? at any given time, in the past 2 months, i have seen every TYPE of house come up for sale in the trading post.
QFTFT
Est Sularus oth Mithas