Ugh Started a tamer today!

Moderator: Support Moderators

KurtKeta

Ugh Started a tamer today!

Post by KurtKeta »

I remember how long taming took me to GM about 10+ years ago... here we go for another round. :) Anyone have any inof? tips? tricks?

My accounts only 54 days old but im making good progress...

Pehiko
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Ugh Started a tamer today!

Post by Pehiko »

Start finding stable spot!
no but really, do it now.

this is pretty much the best guide: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12711

Past 94.1 i went for Destard and start taming dragon instead of staying on the hell hound. it's a slower gain but you can start making good money.

randale

Post by randale »

Pehiko wrote:Start finding stable spot!

Past 94.1 i went for Destard and start taming dragon instead of staying on the hell hound. it's a slower gain but you can start making good money.
Is it really? It's always seemed to me I got better gains on something that was harder for me to tame. I think I read it somewhere, that you're more likely to get a gain from something that is harder to tame. I was getting much better gains on hell hounds when my skill was near the minimum to tame them, vs now it's 93.9 (the min to tame dragons) and I thought trying to tame dragons now instead of hell hounds might get me better gains.

It's slow gain now with hell hounds, but is that solely because my skill is higher and harder to get gains?

Pehiko
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Pehiko »

randale wrote: Is it really? It's always seemed to me I got better gains on something that was harder for me to tame. I think I read it somewhere, that you're more likely to get a gain from something that is harder to tame. I was getting much better gains on hell hounds when my skill was near the minimum to tame them, vs now it's 93.9 (the min to tame dragons) and I thought trying to tame dragons now instead of hell hounds might get me better gains.

It's slow gain now with hell hounds, but is that solely because my skill is higher and harder to get gains?
From my understanding its the same gain dragon or hell hound.
The reason why i say its slower to gain taming with dragon over hellhound at 93.9 is because you waste tons of time with the "You anger the beast" so it take about 10 try (~about 10 second) until you just try to tame it. compare to hellhound where you just attempt to tame them on every try. Also the hellhound are insta respawn compare to Dragon where you have to fight bard stealing them, fight PK and bring them to a stable when you finally tame one.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Never seen anyone suggest ice dungeon for raising taming at high levels, but it's actually a really great place if you are attended. I GMed my taming there by alternating between the WW (which will give you plenty of "fail gain" attempts) and the ice spiders/snakes. White Wyrm is harder to tame than a dragon and you also do not get the "anger" message. The respawn on it is pretty fast, you can make a lot of gold by leaving a ton of WWs in the ice fiend room (leave a ghost in there to "activate" the room), and of course you get 1k every time you tame a wyrm.

The spiders and snakes will all get killed off by the other spawn so you can pretty much constantly tame in there. Faster if you have a friend lure spiders for you while you are busy taming other stuff. I have a screenshot somewhere of GMing off an ice spider :)
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

randale

Post by randale »

nightshark wrote:Never seen anyone suggest ice dungeon for raising taming at high levels, but it's actually a really great place if you are attended. I GMed my taming there by alternating between the WW (which will give you plenty of "fail gain" attempts) and the ice spiders/snakes. White Wyrm is harder to tame than a dragon and you also do not get the "anger" message. The respawn on it is pretty fast, you can make a lot of gold by leaving a ton of WWs in the ice fiend room (leave a ghost in there to "activate" the room), and of course you get 1k every time you tame a wyrm.
You mean you leave the WW's in there after you've successfully tamed them? Then loot them after the Ice Fiend has killed them? Where do you usually stand to tame the Ice Spiders and Snakes, though? My taming is at 96.7 right now. And, you can't tame the ice snakes, the big or the small ones.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Hmm, I thought you could tame the small ones. It has been a long time - sorry about that! I'm sure there was something else tameable in there except ice spiders? They are all over the dungeon, just tame them and leave next to some other spawn, the spiders will die.

Regarding the gold from the wyrm and the ice fiends: When you tame the white wyrm say "a white wyrm drop" and it will drop its gold and gems. Then leave it in the ice fiends, every 10 minutes or so recall up there and grab the gold off the ice fiend corpses. Ice fiends are pretty weak so your WWs will usually not die.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

randale

Post by randale »

nightshark wrote:Hmm, I thought you could tame the small ones. It has been a long time - sorry about that! I'm sure there was something else tameable in there except ice spiders? They are all over the dungeon, just tame them and leave next to some other spawn, the spiders will die.

Regarding the gold from the wyrm and the ice fiends: When you tame the white wyrm say "a white wyrm drop" and it will drop its gold and gems. Then leave it in the ice fiends, every 10 minutes or so recall up there and grab the gold off the ice fiend corpses. Ice fiends are pretty weak so your WWs will usually not die.
Never knew about the drop command. Are you sure this is faster than taming hell hounds? Given the Wyrms are not that fast spawning, not like the 5 hell hounds that spawn. When I first read your post in this thread it quite excited me to see I could get gains faster to GM than grinding on hell hounds, but it looks like hell hounds, although slow to get gains in in the late 90's, might be faster.

Doesn't looks like anything is tamable other than the spiders, er well- except frost ooze's, which won't get you gains. Other than the spiders, there are giant snakes, small snakes, and ice and snow elementals, none of which are tameable.

I went up on the ledge across from the one where the WW spawns, and it's a good place to tame stuff below if you can have another toon drag it there (What is the taming minimum to tame frost/ice spiders? Since it looks like that may be the only thing I can tame, is it the same as giant spiders?) but once the WW spawns in the walk over to the other ledge and kill me. Hmm, but maybe I could just have my other toon res me if my tamer on the ledge is holding nothing. But, it looks like HH's may be faster than taming in the ice cave

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I didn't claim it was faster than hounds, I said it's a great place to tame. You make gold and if you are there with a friend you are more or less constantly taming (they find more spawn for you while you tame, and you run there instead of luring). Even doing taming afk/semi afk got tedious and frustrating for me. Had a little more fun running around with a friend in Ice Dungeon.

I finished off there from about 96, it took me a couple of nights slogging away. Made a decent amount of gold from it.

Are you sure the frost ooze doesn't give gains? Do you get the "wasn't challenging" message from them?

randale

Post by randale »

nightshark wrote:I didn't claim it was faster than hounds, I said it's a great place to tame. You make gold and if you are there with a friend you are more or less constantly taming (they find more spawn for you while you tame, and you run there instead of luring). Even doing taming afk/semi afk got tedious and frustrating for me. Had a little more fun running around with a friend in Ice Dungeon.

I finished off there from about 96, it took me a couple of nights slogging away. Made a decent amount of gold from it.

Are you sure the frost ooze doesn't give gains? Do you get the "wasn't challenging" message from them?
Well, I admit, I'm kind of assuming you won't, since regular slimes you don't. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. Generally speaking, I think most people would think you saying it's a great place to tame would mean it somehow benefits your taming skill, not making gold. YOu said you GM'd you skill there, and get plenty of fail gain attempts. Anyway, I guess I'll go back to hounds. Gotta grind, but I'm almost to 97 now. When I'm at 99, late 98, I might go back to trying to tame dragons and drakes again (for skill gain)

randale

Post by randale »

Pehiko wrote:Start finding stable spot!

I'm wondering if people use small animals as placeholders in the stables, so no one can take their spots, and they can swap them out for dragons when they want to stable them.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I had 1 person helping me drag spawn and I was taming pretty much constantly, the way we were doing it was faster than taming hell hounds, and less monotonous. Trust me, I spent a lot of time at hell hounds.

I'm sorry if it didn't work out for you.

randale

Post by randale »

nightshark wrote:I had 1 person helping me drag spawn and I was taming pretty much constantly, the way we were doing it was faster than taming hell hounds, and less monotonous. Trust me, I spent a lot of time at hell hounds.

I'm sorry if it didn't work out for you.
By dragons do you mean white wyrms? How could another person help you make them spawn faster? Unless you mean you were both taming the same white wyrm, so it would get successfully tamed faster than if one person was doing it, but this wouldn't make it actually spawn faster, just get tamed faster, the period between after it's been successfully tamed/killed and it respaws wouldn't change

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

drag spawn = the word drag, not dragon.

Someone was helping drag ice spiders to tame between wyrms.

Return to “New Player Help”