Locked Down Containers:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Locked Down Containers:

Post by Robbbb »

the bazookas wrote: Is this going to be terrible? Not really. Less convenient? Certainly. Personally I say just make it era accurate and be done with it.

I agree that this will not have a drastic impact on the game mechanics. It wont really effect anyone negatively all it will do, in my opinion, is add to the worlds item count by at least 15% more.

I for one am not going to leave my regs on the floor having to lock and unlock and run back and forth to gather them, so instead of having 50k of each regeant in 1 container = 9 items...I will have 100 containers with 500 each regeant in them(9 items count x 100 containers) = thats a 900 item count...and this is just one persons regs...think about it...scrolls will be a big problem as well.

So do it or not it really doesnt make a difference in the game, just to the server.

Hack Attack

Post by Hack Attack »

Implementing phase II would REDUCE items in game. You couldn't lay stuff on the floor without it decaying in a few minutes. If an item wasn't placed in one of the secures or locked down itself, it was gone. I can place 1000000000000 items on the floor of a small house and they never go away. This is one of the reasons I no longer play. Either you are era accurate, or you are not. AT NOT TIME WHATSOEVER WERE THE CURRENT HOUSING RULES IMPLEMENTED, EVER! Tell me how that is era accurate retards.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Hack Attack wrote:Implementing phase II would REDUCE items in game... I can place 1000000000000 items on the floor of a small house and they never go away. This is one of the reasons I no longer play.
I'm sorry, but this argument is just plain silly. All of the items on this server result in a very manageable save time of about 20 seconds... if you think that's a big deal, you should go and play a commodore 64. You make it sound like the reduction of items in the game is the most important aspect of your gameplay.

And as for placing 1000000000000 items on the floor, given that you have to pull some tricks in order to avoid filling the floor to the ceiling--and even then, there is a limit to what you can accomplish, I think you would get tired of such bologna after about 1000-10,000 items. Even if you ignore the special tricks you have to pull to stack lots of items, you can only put down 86,400 items per day (1 per second), at which rate it would take you 31,688 years to place 1 trillion items on the ground as you have claimed that you can do. Not to mention that eventually your house would crash you every time you logged into after a certain point... and the fact that staff would probably just wipe your house (and possibly ban you) after they found out what you are doing.
Hack Attack wrote:Either you are era accurate, or you are not. AT NOT TIME WHATSOEVER WERE THE CURRENT HOUSING RULES IMPLEMENTED, EVER! Tell me how that is era accurate retards.
While you are correct that we are not era accurate to a specific time that existed on OSI, the stated goal of the shard is mechanical accuracy according to a particular cut-off date with a specific exception given for housing. That is how they define their "era accuracy" goal. Your opinion of "era accuracy" is therefore not in line with theirs. Welcome to Earth. However, just because someone does not have the same opinion as you, doesn't mean they are a retard. In fact, based solely on the arguments you have just presented (which is, I confess, an incomplete picture of you as a person), I would argue that the opposite is true: disagreeing with you could very well be a sign of intelligence. :D
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Hack Attack

Post by Hack Attack »

Took you some time to figure out that math didn't it? Math is hard. If you can not realize that items would be reduced (example: a small house with maximum of 425 items is a SHIT TON less than how many items I can stack floor to ceiling on an 7x7 tile grid... which if you believe that people aren't doing, I'll gate you to my neighbor's tower and you can see for yourself), then you enjoy your Double Pudding Monday at the home tonight. Remember not to get any on that foam helmet they make you wear, otherwise beatings may ensue. I wasn't referring to a trillion items in one house, I'm talking sever wide.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Hack Attack wrote:I wasn't referring to a trillion items in one house, I'm talking sever wide.
Derrick stated there are ~8 million total on the server as of a few months ago (if I remember correctly). My point is:
Hack Attack wrote:This is one of the reasons I no longer play.
^
the bazookas wrote:You make it sound like the reduction of items in the game is the most important aspect of your gameplay.
So what is it that bothers you so much? The 20 second save time? The fact that your neighbor apparently lives in a pig sty? I can't imagine why either of these would be an even remotely good reason not to play.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.

Hack Attack

Post by Hack Attack »

1). The constant interruption of game play by world saves.
2). The frustration of only being able to lock down 25 items in a small house. Not really worth having a house if you can only lock down 25 items. You'd be better off just having an account w/ bank mules, the 125 item secure bank container at least lacks a weight limit (you'd get basically more storage than a small house and they are FREE).

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Hack Attack wrote:1). The constant interruption of game play by world saves.
2). The frustration of only being able to lock down 25 items in a small house. Not really worth having a house if you can only lock down 25 items. You'd be better off just having an account w/ bank mules, the 125 item secure bank container at least lacks a weight limit (you'd get basically more storage than a small house and they are FREE).
I don't see what the problem is. You can put a near infinite number of items in a house, just not in a container. The few second save time is a laughable complaint.

Hack Attack

Post by Hack Attack »

You must have to be thick to play UO:T2A. Yes, I know you can store an unlimited amount of items in a small house. That's part of the problem (500 ppl do not NEED 8 million items). Second, has it ever occurred to you that maybe some people may like to DECORATE a house and leave it OPEN so that others may enjoy your decor as well? If you leave stuff in there not locked down, I'm pretty sure that you would find your crap either 1) taken, or 2) rearranged. 25 lock downs isn't enough to decorate squat.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It should be noted that phase 2 does not restrict the number of items that may be stored in a house. That change comes with phase 3, with phase 2 acting as an intermediary phase between the old and new house system.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Hack Attack wrote:You must have to be thick to play UO:T2A. Yes, I know you can store an unlimited amount of items in a small house. That's part of the problem (500 ppl do not NEED 8 million items). Second, has it ever occurred to you that maybe some people may like to DECORATE a house and leave it OPEN so that others may enjoy your decor as well? If you leave stuff in there not locked down, I'm pretty sure that you would find your crap either 1) taken, or 2) rearranged. 25 lock downs isn't enough to decorate squat.
Sure, you have a point about the 25 lock downs in a small house in the case where you want to "show off" some great decorations in a small house (however, players who are so interested in doing this such that they wouldn't play b/c they can't have more than 25 items locked down in a house are almost certainly a very small minority indeed... however, this wasn't your original argument regarding too many items in the game.

I grabbed Derrick's explanation of items in game. I think you are mistaken: 5 million of the 8 million ARE in the player's bank / backpack contents. Only 3 million are in houses. Your argument for "too many items" due to non-decaying items in houses is not well-founded.
Derrick wrote:Of the 8 Million Items on the shard, 5 million are player items. These are bank/backpack contents, and worn clothing/equipment. Of the 190k mobiles, 142k are players characters in 81,851 accounts. Of the 142k characters: 51,613 characters logged in in the last two months. Those 51k characters represent only about one million of the 5 million player items. (the other three million are items in the world, such as in houses, deco, etc).

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

I think you should just go with phase2, item house decay wasn't added until feb 2000 with the clean brit phase 3. we would have more lockdowns, no limit on weight and no decay so you can still leave unlock stuff around....

what the problem?

''Jan 24 2000
Clean Up Britannia (Phase III)
The final phase in the Clean Up Britannia program will be the implementation of item decay in houses. The decay rate will be the same as with items outside.

Once in effect, house item decay will affect all items that are not:
Placed in a secure container.
Locked down.
A house add-on (such as an anvil or a loom).
Placed by an IGM or GM.''

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, phase 3 was introduced with the January 24, 2000 patch. Phase 2, which was implemented as part of the November 23, 1999 patch, with phase 1 being the CuB.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org